PQ of Gol TV and Fox Soccer Channel on widescreen tv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fatdutchman311

Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Pittsburgh
I currently have Comcast digital cable and Gol TV and Fox Soccer Channel look blurry and like crap on my 40" 1080p LCD tv. I run an HDMI cable from my box to the tv, it looks a little better when I run the SD channels through an S video cable, but it still isnt great. Im wondering how the quality of these two channels look on a widescreen tv from Direct TV, because it is killing me right now. Thanks

I have been watching the DiretTV FSC & Gol for several years and the picture quality is bad. I can not compare it to cable. But, do not expect a vast improvement unless your version looks like full screen you-tube.
I've been lurking here waiting for a soccer thread.
Fox Socer has been saying a coming soon HD version for a couple of years. ESPN shows a few Champions Leauge games on their HD channel but these are never in HD as a matter of fact they are actually cropped just a little bit more than 4x3.
We in America get good pitured soccer every two years, as the Euros and World Cup alternate. I hope Sentenna sports will be in HD sometime soon, then and only then I would pay the premium price that is asked.

http://www.epltalk.com/hd-coming-to-fox-soccer-channel/3924

Last edited:
What do you consider bad Shamill?? A blurry or not sharp picture, or a picture with alot of artifacts???? And does it only look bad when you watch it in full or wide zoom mode on your tv or does it still look bad when it is viewed in its proper 4:3 format. Also are you connected through HDMI???

Gol TV and Fox Soccer Channel look blurry and like crap on my 40" 1080p LCD tv.

Expect the same. It's certainly not great quality .. watchable, but a fast moving sport in SD is just plain bad. It's probably going to be very similar to what you have right now.

I have been watching the DiretTV FSC & Gol for several years and the picture quality is bad. I can not compare it to cable. But, do not expect a vast improvement unless your version looks like full screen you-tube.
I've been lurking here waiting for a soccer thread.
Fox Socer has been saying a coming soon HD version for a couple of years. ESPN shows a few Champions Leauge games on their HD channel but these are never in HD as a matter of fact they are actually cropped just a little bit more than 4x3.
We in America get good pitured soccer every two years, as the Euros and World Cup alternate. I hope Sentenna sports will be in HD sometime soon, then and only then I would pay the premium price that is asked.

http://www.epltalk.com/hd-coming-to-fox-soccer-channel/3924

I'm anxiously awaiting FSC HD, but not so sure how it'll be. I only know of the EPL and Serie A that air games in HD, not sure about Argentinian games, etc.

As for soccer in HD, ESPN and ABC does a good job with MLS games in HD and some of the teams air their games in HD on their local broadcasters.

I watched part of an MLS game in HD one time and even though the picture quality was good, I realized it was still soccer.

Sorry, I felt this thread was due for an 'it's just soccer' bomb...

my setup is hr20 hdmi pillar box at 720p.
Picure quality is a hard thing to explain. It is watchable.
Some games better than others.
But, consistantly worse than fox sports southwest sd. GOL is worse than FSC. I'm sure that is due to the source. I want the hd version of the channel even if the games are in sd. At least the quality would be better. There are examples of this all over Direct tv.
I didn't know Frank Riberi had a scar on his face until the WorldCup ;]

Setanta PQ is worse....At least they figured out how to change the aspect ratio. Don't even get me started on the Setanta Pub Channel:rolleyes:

Sky just won all but 1 of the EPL contracts for 2010-2012 and stated that they will shoot all matches in HD. What that means for the FSC/Setanta North American feeds is still a question but at least the source material will be a higher quality feed.

Rumours abound that ESPN will be making a bid for La Liga North American rights but since they just got completely shut out of the EPL bidding and La Liga TV rights are beyond insane to comprehend who knows what will happen.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Setanta will go under or get bought out before 2010 so that will open up another potential channel for ESPN or FSC. IF GOLtv loses La Liga that might be the end of them as well.

To summarize: The PQ will suck for at least another year although I think D* has a marginally better PQ than Comcast plus you can get Setanta on D*

I believe the US MNT v Mexico on ESPN 2 will be in HD on Wed

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts