Pre-amp suggestion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have a Channel Master CM-4428HD mounted 30' AGL. What pre-amp do I need to receive stations that are 50+ miles away?

I won't go with a distribution amp unless you have some long runs in your system. Since the signals now are digital either Winegard or Channel Master model antenna/mast mounted pre-amp's should give you the most improvement, but all this is going to depend a lot on your location and the stations your wanting to get. So what stations are you trying to get, from your posted location your just outside Flint on the north side.

I assume Detroit....I remember tom asking about it before

Then I'm more in line that he should just buy a larger antenna as most of the Detroit channels seem to be in his coverage area per the FCC maps, if Mount Morris is his real location.

What kind of booster would you recommend Ice? I can't use a pre-amp on mine since I diplex it with my DISH set up, unless I connect the power outside before it goes into the diplexer.

But what do you mean "traffic is too heavy?" I'm confused by that statement too
I mean I have traffic come by the house here too yet I dont have issues picking up a 72mile distant station

Just to help understand the interference that your getting can you describe it, because I really question that it's coming from vehicle traffic. Does this happen at certain hours of the day. Also I see that you list having a preamp so it's possible that it could be causing and overload in your system.

But what do you mean "traffic is too heavy?" I'm confused by that statement too
I mean I have traffic come by the house here too yet I dont have issues picking up a 72mile distant station

When a lot of cars drive by at once, the stations from Detroit get all garbled. The video freezes or drops out, as does the audio. The techies call it "multipath interference" I believe.

A local place and Solid Signal both recommended the Winegard AP8700, so I'm going to get that. Now if only this dang snow on my roof would melt...

that should work

now looking at some info Fox Detroit is on VHF (RF7) whereas the antenna you are going to hook this to is UHF only. While it will work somewhat OK getting VHF High if that is the channel you are having issues with amplifying it might not help and a VHF/UHF antenna would work better

that should work

now looking at some info Fox Detroit is on VHF (RF7) whereas the antenna you are going to hook this to is UHF only. While it will work somewhat OK getting VHF High if that is the channel you are having issues with amplifying it might not help and a VHF/UHF antenna would work better

Their website says it gets both and Fox 2 comes in good most of the time, except when traffic is too heavy.

Pick up FREE Digital TV with Channel Master digital HDTV Antenna CM-4228HD for the best TV antenna reception

they are contradicting themselves. IN the specs it says
Receives channels 14 thru 69
as does solid signal...The highest gain Channel Master UHF antenna! Perfect for long range Digital and Analog UHF reception.

Like I say a UHF only antenna CAN get VHF Hi but it is usually at a hindered signal versus a VHF antenna. When Minneapolis did the DTV conversion Fox & NBC went back to their analog spots (9 & 11) and my U120 antenna could only pull a 73-76 signal on the TV. I'm 29 miles from the towers. Switched to a combo and now they are at 100%

Heck my VHF only 1913 picks up UHF too at a low signal..even though its pointed 180 degrees away (that antenna is aimed for a VHF only station 72 miles away...only channel in that market)

they are contradicting themselves. IN the specs it says
Receives channels 14 thru 69
as does solid signal...The highest gain Channel Master UHF antenna! Perfect for long range Digital and Analog UHF reception.

Like I say a UHF only antenna CAN get VHF Hi but it is usually at a hindered signal versus a VHF antenna. When Minneapolis did the DTV conversion Fox & NBC went back to their analog spots (9 & 11) and my U120 antenna could only pull a 73-76 signal on the TV. I'm 29 miles from the towers. Switched to a combo and now they are at 100%

Heck my VHF only 1913 picks up UHF too at a low signal..even though its pointed 180 degrees away (that antenna is aimed for a VHF only station 72 miles away...only channel in that market)

Their website also says "VHF range 45 miles".

"UHF only" actually means "UHF gain only". Both my antennas are supposedly UHF only but they both receive VHF fine with my preamp. Both channels are VHF High though, I don't know if they'd get VHF Low, since there's none of those around here. I was told with 2 antennas I need 2 preamps though so I'm going to try the AP8700.

I just put the CM-4228HD up a month ago and I'm NOT looking to replace it. Hence the thread title.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts