Pre-Wiring

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Choop75

Jan 21, 2009
West Virginia
I'm building a new how and I'm getting ready to start wiring for Satellite TV and Satellite internet. I going to run 2 runs of RG6 from satellite to central point (utility room). I think this will work. Please let me know if not. Now to my question. I want to have the ability to have up to 6 TV's. How many runs will I need to go from Satellit to utility room? Also if I want to have the ability to change the location of the tv in each room. I already know I can't have a splitter so does that mean that I need to have additional runs for every option in each room?

You need the 5LNB dish which has 4 outputs. Thus, you need to run four lines to your utility room. There you use either a WB68 multiswitch or an SWM8 module. I'd suggest that you run at least two lines to each room where you may have a TV. Have these all run to the utility room. There is where you'd connect the rooms to have active service.

You could get by with one line to each room if you use the SWM8 option. Do a search here for info about how SWM modules work.

I didn't suggest the SWMLine dish, since it seems to be having a cold temperature problem.

We built a new home a couple of years ago and were asking similar questions. :) In our family room we have two wires on opposite walls. Those are really the only two walls where we'd place the TV. We did the same thing in our bonus room, two runs on opposite walls. This has worked out really great. One piece of advice we didn't follow, running two wires to every other room, has really bitten us in the butt. We did do two lines in our master bedroom. There's only one wall in there that would hold the TV. The kids' rooms only have one run and I kick myself constantly for that. I know with the new mulitswitch and the new receivers, two lines isn't imperative, but it certainly won't hurt to have it in place.

EDIT: I just remembered we have 3 wire runs in the family room, bonus room and master bedroom because we run the OTA antenna through the third wire.

Don't know if you've also thought of this but don't forget the ethernet runs to each room as well, for On Demand if you have those type of receivers.

Definitely run Dual Cable and ethernet to each room that would you ever could possibly put a TV in, and run 4 lines from outside to the AV Area.. for TV

For SatInternet you will need 2 runs from outside to where your router will be placed. Best to run these out to where your meterbox is or to a location that can have a bonded ground installed by an electrician.

Use Solid Copper RG6 rated to 3ghtz.

and finally Label/Label/Label Best to label the Wall jacks too with a diagram.. Ie Living room would be L1/L2/L3/L4, Master Bed MB1/MB2 etc..

Know that satellite broadband and satellite TV cannot share the same dish nor cabling.

If you're planning on three or more DVRs, you'll want to go with a legacy LNB assembly that requires four cables from the dish to the switchgear.

I would be concerned that the satellite installers won't settle for customer installed wire. The power requirements are critical.

New construction in "technology ready" homes is five (5) coax feeders into the main distribution panel plus a fiber innerduct (smurf tube) between the panel and the MPOE. Distribution to "standard" outlets is 2 coax (rg6 quad-shield) and 2 cat-5 or cat-6. Also 1 coax & 1 cat-5 from above every outside entrance for video surveillance. Finally allow one spare empty 2" diameter smurf tube from the attic and/or basement into the panel as well. This allows for future expansion after everything is buttoned up. Cap-off all the smurf tubes to prevent God's crawling creatures from entering. Don't forget prewiring the surround sound system. Do not put the surround wiring in the main dist. panel. Make audio a separate project and don't get stupid on wire size. #12 stranded copper is plenty. Also put a coax run for the subwoofer. The distribution panel should also have a duplex power outlet. Don't allow anyone to split your CAT-5 cables for mixed services. If you put voice in it, then it needs to be considered a "voice" cable. Ethernet is an 8-conductor cable when you allow for POE. It also is not spec'd to have two Ethernets running inside the same cable, or putting voice in the same cable as Ethernet, so don't cheat. Save time and money, use cat-5 E stead of cat-6. Neither one is spec'd for gigabit speed and there's no standard speed between 100 Mbps and gigabit, so don't waste money of 350 Mbps cable. Properly installed Cat5e will run anything that cat-6 will.

I would be concerned that the satellite installers won't settle for customer installed wire. The power requirements are critical.
Power is only critical on long cable runs (in excess of 150 ft)
These guys would have you believe that only their wire has the magic formula to make it work That simply isn't so. From an RF signal standpoint, there is no magic. RG6 is RG6. Put the power inserter within 150 cable feet of the SWM ODU and I will personally guarantee you that any RG6 will work fine. Similarly on legacy LNB dishes keep the individual cable lengths to 150' or under and again any generic RG6 will be fine. Solid copper center conductor wire is expensive and unnecessary at 150' or under. Expensive RG6 is not going to get you a stronger signal than cheap RG6. Installation tip: Never use a staple gun with coax.

Definitely run Dual Cable and ethernet to each room that would you ever could possibly put a TV in, and run 4 lines from outside to the AV Area.. for TV

For SatInternet you will need 2 runs from outside to where your router will be placed. Best to run these out to where your meterbox is or to a location that can have a bonded ground installed by an electrician.

Use Solid Copper RG6 rated to 3ghtz.

and finally Label/Label/Label Best to label the Wall jacks too with a diagram.. Ie Living room would be L1/L2/L3/L4, Master Bed MB1/MB2 etc..

I'd say a big "ditto" to all the suggestions listed. If you really want to "future proof" your installation (provided your new home is in the framing stage) is to run all the lines through metal or plastic conduit with plenty of extra room inside the conduit.

That way, if you ever want to pull a new line through the home, it's a lot easier through the conduit.

Good luck and enjoy your new home!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts