Pre Wiring

billybill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
How is Fios Tv wired throughout a home? I presently have Fios internet but tv is not yet available to me. I am going to soon be doing some work around my house that will give access behind walls. I was wondering if there is anything I can do now that will make the installation of Fios tv later easier.

If you can, make sure all outlets are a homerun with RG6 from next to the ONT or a central location in your basement. No splitters from the central location near the ONT to the outlet, will make the install a breeze. Only 1 splitter will be needed to be used when you get TV and the signal will be fine for TV. Good luck.

If you can, make sure all outlets are a homerun with RG6 from next to the ONT or a central location in your basement. No splitters from the central location near the ONT to the outlet, will make the install a breeze. Only 1 splitter will be needed to be used when you get TV and the signal will be fine for TV. Good luck.

And don't forget to run coax to the router.

And don't forget to run coax to the router.

Ugggggggg! Wires, wires everywhere. Haven't these manufacturers heard of 802.11 wireless. Why, oh why can't we clear our walls of outlets and keep our minds sane from having to remember that this wire goes here and that one goes there. Arggggggggggg! :mad:

I just cannot fathom an industry (cable TV) that is 31 years older than the Internet and still relies on the same basic concepts and devices to transmit and receive signals. :mad:

The first Internet was started on Oct 20, 1969 and cable TV originated in 1948 in the UK. 802.11a, the very first wireless data signalling, originated around Sept. 2001. Why can't the set top devices be wireless? Why can't the setop boxes be located behind the TV or in a closet, out of sight, and only a very small, very attratice remote be used to control 'any' television/programming in a home? Why can't the remote be wireless also? I have a bluetooth remote headset for my cell phone; it talks bluetooth to my laptop to sync up; which talks wireless to the home router so that I can posts these ridiculous questions. Why can't my TV/service work the same way????? Why, why, why????? Heck, I think they even make a wireless fridge that can call for help by itself when there is a problem. Geez!

OK, I've gotten mysef in tears now. :river No need for anyone to answer, except the manufacturers of these horrific set top boxes. They have a lot to answer for.:eek:

"...Haven't these manufacturers heard of 802.11 wireless...."

Yes, they have. And they have a great deal of experience in dealing with the various flavors of 802.11. Which is why they use wired.

BTW, Bluetooth is very short range. Meant for things on or very near your body.

"...Haven't these manufacturers heard of 802.11 wireless...."

Yes, they have. And they have a great deal of experience in dealing with the various flavors of 802.11. Which is why they use wired.

BTW, Bluetooth is very short range. Meant for things on or very near your body.

I know that BT is very short range. There are ways to make it work at greater distances, and there are other wireless technologies that could work. The point is that there ARE television providers sending TV over the Internet. There is even a Ca provider delivering TV over IP to homes. Since they do not own the transmission media, I have to assume that they are utilizing some shared medium to transmitt on. That would most likely mean speeds under 100meg. My coments are that there is NO reason that the remotes and/or the actual boxes cannot work over wireless inside the home. After all, thats how they deliver this lightning fast Internet access. They 'could' even utilize inexpensive set top repeaters and a fixed wireless intelligent router (a seperate one from the consumer router) to make this happen. Benefits would be better control over signal quality and ability to direct to any set top repeater meaqning multi-room installs would be extremely easy. People could pay for the number of simultaneous channels used or available on a single device. Carriers would reap much greater profit because the core of the intelligence would be in a single device. The remotes/repeaters/decoders (whatever you want to call them) could be built very inexpensive.

As for finding wireless ineffective, which is what I assume you mean by 'which is why they use wired', then why do local stations send their signal over the air. I tend to find that this transmission is MORE effective than even Fios. Full HD quality, no device freeze problems (which I experience frequently with Fios), and available to ANY set in my home in both analog AND HD format.

Mark my words, someone will come out with this a few years down the road and everyone will ooh and aah, but in reality they could do it very effectively right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)