Preamp Issues

Hmm... Can I get a UHF only booster that won't affect the VHF signal?
According to Goggle Winegard AP-4700 and Channel Master CM-7778 should be what you think you need.You are the type of customer I enjoyed when I was in the satellite business you will spend hours of your time and maybe a couple hundred dollars chasing your tail before you listen to the free advice and find out how cheap it can be to do it right. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
Neutron the CM 7778 is a very good antenna.Yes there are amps that are uhf only.Maybe you should try the antenna first,if it were me I would return the amp for a replacement as well.

This thread is starting to remind me of the experience gpollock87 had with the same preamp I believe. He was trying to get stations from 70 miles as well. Even going to one of the best preamps (cm-7777) didn't solve his problem. There is a ten page thread from 3 months ago if you want to read his experience.

Its too bad that you don't have another tuner box to take outside and test the antenna with a short cable. If you can't get the stations on a short cable then we know a preamp really isn't going to do much for you.

This thread is starting to remind me of the experience gpollock87 had with the same preamp I believe. He was trying to get stations from 70 miles as well. Even going to one of the best preamps (cm-7777) didn't solve his problem. There is a ten page thread from 3 months ago if you want to read his experience.

Its too bad that you don't have another tuner box to take outside and test the antenna with a short cable. If you can't get the stations on a short cable then we know a preamp really isn't going to do much for you.

Just another case that a novice thinks an amplifier is a magic elixir than can create a signal where none exists. There has to be a signal there before it can be amplified. In Jasons case it looks like he needs both added heigth and a better UHF antenna. Why is it so many people think just sticking a TV antenna out the window gets perfect reception. TV antenna systems are actually much harder to correctly setup than a satellite system there are many more variables.

Just another case that a novice thinks an amplifier is a magic elixir than can create a signal where none exists. There has to be a signal there before it can be amplified. In Jasons case it looks like he needs both added heigth and a better UHF antenna. Why is it so many people think just sticking a TV antenna out the window gets perfect reception. TV antenna systems are actually much harder to correctly setup than a satellite system there are many more variables.

I do get signal at night, and it's so sporadic during the day it all depends on where the sun is. That's why I thought a preamp would fix it. I was mistaken.

Solar background interference is lower at night, thereforeTV reception is possible at further distances then.

Sounds like you need more antenna.

The biggest thing an amplifier helps with is splitting the signal. My signal splits 8 ways, so I need a preamp. With a single TV I can just run the antenna.

So while I'm waiting for my credit back from shipping back the preamp I've been looking at UHF only antennas. The Antennacraft U8000 UHF antenna is rated for 60+ miles. Would this be one to look at? Can an UHF antenna pull in any VHF say within a 20-30 mile distance?

depends on what VHF station its on but yeah it can. When the conversion hit Minneapolis was a UHF only digital island. So I had this badass U120 antenna from Rat Shack. When Fox & NBC went back to analog spots (9 & 11) they still came in (29 miles away) but at lower signal. My thread on that

http://www.satelliteguys.us/digital-over-air-ota/212010-amazing-what-you-can-pick-up.html

For the last 5-6 years I have had a Radio Shack U-120 (UHF only) as my OTA antenna. It use to be at our cabin before that for 5 years so its got a good amount of use. I figured since Minneapolis was all UHF digital I had no issues I was 28 miles form the towers (according to TVfool) so everything signal wise was nice and strong
100 on the 42" Panasonic
90-95 on the 2 DTVPal converter boxes I had at the time

The 6/12/09 hit and my Fox and NBC went to their analog spots (9 & 11) on VHF Hi yet I still had decent signal on them even though the antenna was UHF only...the Panny had 80 on channel 9 and 83 on channel 11. But I had some dropouts on the converter boxes even though they were showing mid 70's (below 60 is threshold)

The Channel Master 4228 can pick up high vhf signals (7-13) 45 mile range.its an excellent uhf antenna 60+ mile range.There are some others that are primary uhf antennas that can also get high vhf signals.

The Channel Master 4228 can pick up high vhf signals (7-13) 45 mile range.its an excellent uhf antenna 60+ mile range.There are some others that are primary uhf antennas that can also get high vhf signals.

I'm looking at this antenna on Summit Source and their specs say up to 60 miles for UHF.

The newer Antennas Direct DB4e looks like great specifications, but it is UHF only.
Long Range DB4e HDTV Antenna from Antennas Direct
If you paired that with an Antenna Craft Y10-7-13 or a Winegard YA-1713 then you would have two highly rated antennas. Just remember, no matter what antenna, it can not produce a signal where there is no signal. I am running into this problem, as my TV tower needs (a minimum) one more section to get a reliable signal. Some days my reception is great, others, not enough signal to lock, even with a Channel Master CM7777 pre-amp. I made my own VHF-Hi antenna based on the design from:
Hi-VHF 10-El Yagi - Lorkoe's Antique
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_xp43tcwB5ps/TBgusuw9whI/AAAAAAAABAA/nij0uopKPJE/s1024/IMG_6731.JPG
Making/using custom channel-cut yagis for UHF/VHF TV - Page 14 - Digital Forum
Yagi Antennas - ImageEvent

I rolled the elements from aluminum flashing cut into one inch strips. (sorry I have no pictures of my project)

The distances given for antennas should only be used for reference. Use the actual specifications and watch out as some are rated dB and others dBi, two different ratings.

Last edited:
I'm having a similar problem as in the first post as when adding the pre-amp I lose signal. This is on a local that show to be 68.8 miles with 12.0 NM(db) with 2edge path. This is with a brand new antennacraft CCS 1233 and a brand new 10G212. The signal on the DN HD 211k rec shows 66 without the amp and then goes away with the amp inline. Not sure why this is happening.

Could be a nearby TV station or FM transmitter overloading your tuner.

Pre-amplification with transmitters under 10 miles away can be hazardous to your reception.

Not yet. I'm going to order it today from Summit Source. I have a $40 credit with them for returning the pre-amp, and I have an additional $90 to add to that for my budget. I'm looking between the Channelmaster you guys have recommended and the Antennacraft HBU-55. I'd just hate to purchase another antenna and it not work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)