Preamp Recommendations?

I had the same problem with the Clearstream too. Any ideas? I’m thinking I should use the VU 120 for VHF and the Clearstream for UHF and combine them with the TVPRAMP1Z.
If you've got an interference problem, the preamp will likely make it worse.
I removed the lower boom on the antenna because the plastic holders broke.
Delicacy hasn't proven to be one of your more notable attributes. ;)

If you're going to use the VU-120 for VHF, you need to line up the first few elements much more carefully. Since most of your channels are within 20 miles, a preamp is probably overkill with a 90 mile antenna -- even in the attic.

I can't explain the CICO <> CBET thing and neither seem to have adjacent or same channels that you might be picking up.

Reactions: Phalaenopsis
I don’t think it’s me. The plastic on this antenna is so brittle and it breaks just by looking at it the wrong way. CBET and CICO share the same tower which I presume is causing all of my problems. Even on the Clearstream I got CBET but no CICO, then I had to pan eastwards and I got CICO but no CBET. It’s hard to find the “sweet spot” between CBC and TVO.

Since most of your channels are within 20 miles, a preamp is probably overkill with a 90 mile antenna -- even in the attic.
Yes, it is. I chose this setup because it was cheap, only $60, $30 for the antenna, $30 for the Preamp. I may upgrade to a slightly smaller Channel Master antenna and preamplifier after I get bored with this configuration. A 10 footer in the attic is WAY to big. And I hate being there breathing in all the fiberglass dust when it’s 100 degrees up there.

CBET and CICO share the same tower which I presume is causing all of my problems.
Many markets have more than one frequency on the same tower. There are at least three instances in my market where two or more channels are broadcast from the same tower. One has its antenna so low on the tower that I show an edge on it but not on the others.

You appear to have at least a couple of other instances of shared towers (where the latitude and longitude are the same) according to Rabbitears.info's technical data. After the repack, it appears that WMYD, WUDT, WTVS and WWJ will be on the same tower.

I'm pretty sure you presume incorrectly and the problem is more likely a matter of multi-path that you cure by turning the antenna away from the reflected signal. Too powerful an antenna setup can make multi-path worse.

I realigned my antenna and I finally got CICO. Strangely CICO has a very low SNR of 16.40db compared to all of my other stations. On CBET I have an SNR of 34db.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I don’t think it’s me. The plastic on this antenna is so brittle and it breaks just by looking at it the wrong way. CBET and CICO share the same tower which I presume is causing all of my problems. Even on the Clearstream I got CBET but no CICO, then I had to pan eastwards and I got CICO but no CBET. It’s hard to find the “sweet spot” between CBC and TVO.

Didn't you read my post #64? I warned you ahead of time about the plastic going brittle on these old antennas... You can repair them with a good epoxy glue.

Didn't you read my post #64? I warned you ahead of time about the plastic going brittle on these old antennas... You can repair them with a good epoxy glue.

I did . They broke while I was assembling it in the attic. I won’t bother fixing it because it doesn’t impact performance. Also, the antenna is stable as is in the attic.
IMG_0380.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts