"press R to record this program"...only on Genie??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I have a legit question about the "press R to record this program"......yes I know we've had 2 threads on it recently but....Everything has been about the HR34/Genie

I just got done doing some swapping receivers at my moms house. They have
HR22 in family room
H2X in living room
D12 in bedroom (my mom only has a SDTV in there
HR23 in my younger brothers room

Now that my brother moved out my stepdad mentioned moving that to the living room and moving the HD box to the bedroom. SO we moved the HR23 to the living room. I went through and deleted all recordings and series. Now I'm worried that the HR23 will start showing that issue. My stepdads HR22 doesn't do it because he has 20ish series set up

So I ask

"Is the press R to record this program feature:rolleyes: only on the Genie or is it on other HD DVR's too?"

(oh by the way...if anyone hijacks the thread with asking the same questions that have been asked and answered already 14 times you will be given a time out)

i disagree when i got a new hr-24 a year ago i did see the press R to record message for a little while. I cant remember how long

Dodger, you are correct, but that is a feature that you can turn off, it's called "Recording Tips" and most of us turn that off in the menus.
So Yes, it was on the 24's, but the issue with the Genies is not something you can turn off.

I have had a HR24 and a Genie and I have never seen this "Press 'R' to record" message - I figured that was a certain member of this forum not knowing how to use his Genie.

I have had a HR24 and a Genie and I have never seen this "Press 'R' to record" message - I figured that was a certain member of this forum not knowing how to use his Genie.

Possibly the installers are turning this annoyance off when setting them up for the subs ?

Follow the instructions I posted a few posts up and turn the Recording Tips to ON and then you can see the message too.

I looked at the "recording tips" and it was on. I had seen that (the tips section) before and had no idea what it was. I figured I needed it to be on to record on both of my receivers, so I have always kept it on.

Last edited:
Where do you see the "Press R to record" message? Perhaps I am not looking in the right places.

it would randomly show up on the Genies (various channels). As long as you have 6 series recordings set up you wont ever see it then

I have 8 series set to record, so that explains that. What a useless feature, what would be the point of it?
This sheds some light into the incoherence that was ... well you know. I had absolutely no idea what y'all were talking about!

I guess they figure you have a receiver that can record 5 things at once so obviously you should have SOME series set up

Now that OTA scanning is gone, there is really no point for me to have the Genie since only 2 of my series are on at the same time, and I usually watch one of them live.

So the people with less than 6 series are screwed? That's lame and should be fixed. It's very annoying to see that crap on the screen.

End of rant. :)

So set up a series for something and delete it after it records.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)