Press Release: Echostar Communications Buys Rainbow 1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
has anyone looked at the guide for the cinema 10 movies or monster hd on voom. it puts hdnet to shame. theres some good movies on cinema 10 and monsters hd. no offense but hd net plays terrible movies.

BFG, yep that was sarcasm. I know that without screen captures of my face, it's hard to tell when I'm being sarcastic.

I do get a kick out of this thread though, and it shows how quickly opinions change over the smallest detail.

Before news of this purchase, a significant majority was asking what in the heck Charlie was doing to E*. Lot's of negative posts and the call for some new visionary to assist Charlie.

Now it's, he's got all of these cards and he's getting ready to place them on the table. ;)

Seriously though, Charlie has been vary succesfull and has the best cash reserves among the Sat providers (Note that's liquid cash, not revenue stream that also is going towards the overhead expenses and debt of a company). He didn't get there because he's stupid. I've always figured he had some great ideas in reserve that he couldn't mention due to SEC requirements (Now so much stricter since Enron) that customers that were used to more transparency in the past.

Granted I was and am still very frustrated with no clear idea on what's arround the bend, but I've always felt that E* would be a long-term player and a good bet to stick with. Other than a very few number of channels, I've never seen the need to switch back and forth between D* and E*, primarily because of all of my sports have been available to me from E* (I'm not a football fan, but I love the other sports packages, if I were a football fan, I'm sure Sunday ticket would have been very strong reason to switch).

While I expect that I may be frustrated to swap out all of my equipment for the eventual MPEG4 need, switching to another provider now would most likely yield the same result (D* mention of a future MPEG4 setup as well). D* is also moving away from the various manufacturers creating D* receivers, so in time that will be similar as well. I can only hope that E* engineers can pick up some additional expertise as they aquire competitors that will eventually improve our equipement.

For those who commented on why Voom failed, did you ever have Voom?

I did, great quality, crappy service and an the most confused staff I have ever talked to.

HD is ready to take off, Voom offered a competetive price *IF* you got VaVaVoom and only owned one TV.

Top five things to kill Voom:

1. Insanely high install and equipment cost. Sure I can afford a $4,000 HD TV, but I don't want to spend another 1K to watch it.

2. Insanely high second box cost, $25.00 w/ tax to put a second Voom box in the house, and who owns two HD TV's? I wanted a standard box for our bedroom but not at $25.00 a unit.

3. Terrible customer service...you come on Sat Guys, read what is really going on with rain fade and people getting new dishes, but yet Voom acts like it never happens and openly lies to their customers.

4. Billing....their billing system was a total nightmare, it was hardly ever right...

5. Installers...read my posts under my name about the installer who poured water over my dish to show me I had no rain fade...

PQ was great and I never had any box problems like others did. Lack of a PVR was an issue but that was no where near the start.

Sure eventually they attempted to fix the pricing, too little too late. The writing was already on the wall. It took me 5 months to get my service working the way I wanted it to work, had it for 1 more month before they shut me off because I was disputing the bill. They told me they would credit me for rain fade, then after they fixed it, told me they would not. I had my CC company reject all charges and they claim I owe them $475.

They STILL send me a bill telling me I owe them money and telling me they will disconnect me even though they picked up their equipment 3 months ago.

It was a good idea, one that would have worked also, but they just screwed themselves over and over and over.

I really feel sorry for anyone who goes to Voom's Web site right now to sign up for service. It looks like it's still totally possible.

Yeah, and D* is beating E*...... Another case of #2 absorbing #3 trying to combat #1 (see Gateway buying Emachines trying to combat Dell who is running away with the domestic PC industry)

Sorry, didn't realize this thread was on page 3 already..... The above paragraph was a response to Puss and Boots's (well that's his avatar anyway) statement that E* was already beating V*....

Closing this thread to minimize the number of same-topic threads we have around here...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)