Press Releases galore!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
just look at it this way: Mpeg2 can take a television show and compress it down to say 10megabits per second. (these numbers are totally made up, I don't know if or how they may correlate to actual transmission numbers on DirecTV). A satellite transponder may have 40 megabits per second capacity, meaning you have room for 4 channels with the Mpeg2 standard I made up above. Mpeg4 is newer, and is designed to compress the same video at the same quality at a lower rate, meaning at the same picture quality, the mpeg4 stream is only going to take up 6-7megabits per second, making room for either a) more channels or b) better picture quality, as they could increase the bitrate and have a better picture.

JosephB said:
It says that "more markets to be added in 2005 will be released soon". This is just the first 12 announced.

Huh. Yeah. Maybe I should read more before getting too upset. :)

slacker9876 said:
"Initially DIRECTV will carry each of the primary broadcast networks that offer an HD feed in the market and customers who subscribe to a local channel package will receive both the standard and HD signal. HD local programming will be received via a single dish -- slightly larger than the current standard dish -- and customers will require new HD set top boxes due to new compression technology."

I see that ... I am saying it is BS. It is a firmware upgrade. Perhaps I am wrong, perhaps I doubt it. It would be a poor busniess decision to piss-off your top 10% of revene generators (us). They do not have the capital to finance such a venture. Trust me ... we will not need new boxes. We will need a box ... and those currenyl owning HD STB's will be covered ... on the current boxes. FYI your HD-300 has an MPEG4 hardware expansion port.

Slacker is right about it being a software upgrade. It is the same thing as you playing a dvd video in your computer. You need some kind of sofware decoder installed to view the dvd movie.

ramy said:
Slacker is right about it being a software upgrade. It is the same thing as you playing a dvd video in your computer. You need some kind of sofware decoder installed to view the dvd movie.

Have you tried to play a MPEG4 HD file on your >2gig HZ Pentium 4? Those files have some fairly high processor and video card requirements. Thats MUCH different then playing a SD DVD.

Its not the same thing. The main CPUs in these boxes are not powerful enough to decode Mpeg video. They have dedicated Mpeg decoder chips. They are only capable of decoding Mpeg2 at the current time, and they cannot be upgraded by software or any downloads or firmware updates. Mpeg4 capability will require a new box.

CORRECT rad ... that is where MIPS comes in. there are not nearly as many instructions to process as there are on an Intel architecture. Truth be known, and I will get backup on this, Intel actually make the most inefficient processors available. That is why there is a great need for speed. HW expert I am PROC expert I am not but I know this basic philosophy holds true for talking shop with all sorts.

The PR does state new boxes ... and that is tough to argue other than is does not coincide with what my family says, but they may not have all the facts, just as we don't.

When it comes to electronics I cite the MathCo flaw in the first Pentiums ... fixed with a flash. ;)

If the designers write GOOD, solid code, they should be able to push MPEG4 though existing hardware. I would bet ( I don't know for sure) that every chip in a DirecTV receiver is an EEPROM.

Either way at this point, I don't care. If my $915.00 HR10-250 is a paperweight this time next year I am okay with that ... I'll be running the NDS MRV/HMO box.

Even the press release says you will need a new box. It doesn't say a software upgrade to existing boxes will allow you to receive it. It says you will need a new box. And at least to me a new box means an entirely new receiver not a software upgrade.

You can argue all you want about Mpeg codecs and firmware upgrades but the release says a new box will be required as well as a new dish. Now does that mean newer then the phase III?

My staying with D* will be entirely based on how this plays out. I'm in the philly market and I'm not willing to pay another $300 for new HD box or $1000 for an HD DVR.

Ive been trying to stay out of this because I know i will get flamed by one side or the other.

Can they upgrade the soft/firm ware to do Mpeg 4... probably... BUT the box/chips likely wouldnt have the power or speed to process it reliably.. you would liekly get breakups and studdering. Without knowing the exact chips and exact speeds I cant state taht as fact. but since they are probably built by the lowest bidder i would venture a guess that the processors and mpeg2 chips are just barely a step above processing mpeg 2 for some ECC.

I was considering buying a HR10-250 but am putting that on hold till we find out something difinitive. hell it could be someone screwing up on the press release. lets wait til the story unfolds till we make our gripes.

The mpeg decoder chips are NOT SOFTWARE UPGRADABLE! They are NOT flash ROMs. The boxes do not have enough flashable memory to send any kind of meaningful software update that would enable any kind of mpeg 4 decoding. the decoder chips are dedicated mpeg decoders manufactured by broadcom, and they are not flashable. no amount of wishing is going to keep you from having to get a new box.

OK, I'm pretty new to DirecTV. In fact they will be installing my HD dish and box next week. I live in the Boston area. Is DirecTV going to charge me again for a new dish and box for this new techonology (if the press release is correct in saying we'll need a new box and dish)? I can't believe they'd turn around and charge me again if I want my locals in HD. How is their reputation with this kind of stuff?

Brian

Haha and most of you thought E* was alone on this and was crazy for making such comments, well obviously everyone will be switching to new formats in the upcoming year.

The press release specifically says they will upgrade existing (and that means existing at the point of product release, not existing as of today) customers to the new boxes as necessary.

BFG: what makes dish crazy is that they are releasing new incompatible products in the mean time and basically wasting time and effort and money.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fuzzy picture

Photo's of CES 2005 Show

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)