Is A New Genie Being Released?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
but the 54 is NOT 4k, you must use a c61k or rvu
so why would it matter if you had a 4k tv?
But if I understand correctly, you need the HR54 for recording the 4k stations, that can only be watched with a C61k or 4k TV with RVU. Short annoying answer? Because Directv made it that way. You also know that the HR54 takes up 7 tuner spaces(2 supposed to be for recording from the 4k channels), versus 5 tuners for the other Genie & Genie Lite models.

But if I understand correctly, you need the HR54 for recording the 4k stations, that can only be watched with a C61k or 4k TV with RVU. Short annoying answer? Because Directv made it that way. You also know that the HR54 takes up 7 tuner spaces(2 supposed to be for recording from the 4k channels), versus 5 tuners for the other Genie & Genie Lite models.

i dont believe this is 100% correct. i asked my buddy about it, and he said they got 54's for a while in january, and installed them just the same as 44s. so they either just use 5 or only use 5 on a standard swm3/5 LNB.

having said that, if you sign up for D* and tell them you have 4k, all that means is they will swap the regular mini's for 4k mini's. there's nothing to force the 54 into the work order unless D* drop ships it to the customer. since the 54 isnt nationally released yet i doubt that's happening.

That is changing on the 18th (Tomorrow)

Effective February 18, some Genie work orders will require technicians to install the new HR54 Genie should there be 4K assets on the current work order or already on the customer’s account, as well as cases when technicians modify the work order to include 4K assets. The Capability field within the Advanced Whole Home DVR Order Line Item will be used to communicate when the HR54 will be required.

On February 18, we will begin preparations for our next phase of 4K programming targeted to launch over the next several months. To support this next step, specific hardware will be required in certain circumstances to ensure our customers have the right equipment to take advantage of future features and technologies. Technicians will need to follow the work order guidance, as there will be systemic enforcement to ensure the right hardware is used.

Effective February 18, some Genie work orders will require technicians to install the new HR54 Genie should there be 4K assets on the current work order or already on the customer’s account, as well as cases when technicians modify the work order to include 4K assets. The Capability field within the Advanced Whole Home DVR Order Line Item will be used to communicate when the HR54 will be required.

i dont believe this is 100% correct. i asked my buddy about it, and he said they got 54's for a while in january, and installed them just the same as 44s. so they either just use 5 or only use 5 on a standard swm3/5 LNB.

having said that, if you sign up for D* and tell them you have 4k, all that means is they will swap the regular mini's for 4k mini's. there's nothing to force the 54 into the work order unless D* drop ships it to the customer. since the 54 isnt nationally released yet i doubt that's happening.

big issue.
if you only have 1 tv, and its 4k, you will have 2 connections to that tv
both the genie and the c61k/rvu
which will add a fee
this will upset many people
i see some of them not installing, and possibly switching for this reason

big issue.
which will add a fee

Yep...Im in that boat and wont wast the money!
Like I said in another thread....Why in the hell didnt the HR54 have a hard wire 4k output?.....Just plain stupid IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big issue.
which will add a fee

sorry, didnt feel like re-hashing this buisness *again* for the umpteenth time. there really needs to be a "Everything we currently know about D* 4k" sticky...

The test software (aka CE) for the HR54 activates the 2 swm receiver channels that will eventually be used to bond 2 reverse band transponders available on satellites at 99 & 103. Several of the transponders have been powered up on satellite 99 but are not sending anything. The transponders on 103 are not powered up due to an international dispute over that frequency allocation.

The test software (aka CE) for the HR54 activates the 2 swm receiver channels that will eventually be used to bond 2 reverse band transponders available on satellites at 99 & 103. Several of the transponders have been powered up on satellite 99 but are not sending anything. The transponders on 103 are not powered up due to an international dispute over that frequency allocation.
Those would be tuners 6 & 7 on the HR54, which otherwise has five WORKING tuners(out of 7) for regular programing, just like the other Genies. But you'll still need a C61k or RVU connected 4k TV to watch 4k programming. Oh & don't forget that you'll also need the reverse band LNB to watch 4k programming.

Sorry, I guess I should have said replace the current Genie or one of their other boxes with the HR-54. Have the HR-54 in another room and the Deca Adapter or Genie mini on the 4k TV.

I was thinking that would save the extra fee you and AZ were talking about.

Well, right now my Genie sits in a cabinet under my TV and hard wired and fished in wall....So that means my bedroom would need the Genie...
Both are wall mounted...So in bedroom it would be just about impossible to hide the Geinie behind TV....

and rewiring of home would have to be done also...

Will the next Genie have the DSL Modem Router built into it? Or will it still separate?
I can't imagine AT&T putting a DSL modem into a STB when they want to get out of the DSL business. Maybe Uverse, but not everybody with Directv has access to Uverse(I know that I don't, even though it's "supposed" to be in my area).

Will the next Genie have the DSL Modem Router built into it? Or will it still separate?
I can't imagine AT&T putting a DSL modem into a STB when they want to get out of the DSL business. Maybe Uverse, but not everybody with Directv has access to Uverse(I know that I don't, even though it's "supposed" to be in my area).
I thought of that when in that news article about AT&T stopped making UVerseTV boxes said they were going to consolidate all their services into central hub gateway. Unless that meant the next box would still have WIFI built into it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)