Price Increase Coming...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
the commercials offering to lock in a price is a tip off an increase is coming,im sure all providers will have some increase around feb.so assume the position,and take it with a grin.

So, I am about to upgrade a DVR to HD and will have to sign a 2 year contact again. Am I subject to a price lock? I think if I am signing a contract I sure as hell should be.

Not that I am gonna leave but, by me not getting a price lock, I am just bending over and saying give it to me I don't care.

So, I am about to upgrade a DVR to HD and will have to sign a 2 year contact again. Am I subject to a price lock? I think if I am signing a contract I sure as hell should be.

Not that I am gonna leave but, by me not getting a price lock, I am just bending over and saying give it to me I don't care.

fwiw, it's usually the programming that gets a bump, not the HD portion or the DVR fee's or any stuff like that.

fwiw, it's usually the programming that gets a bump, not the HD portion or the DVR fee's or any stuff like that.

Right Jimbo but, new customers signing a 2 year contact get a price lock. If I am signing a 2 year contract then shouldn't I? A contract is a contract reguardless if it is a current sub or a new customer.

Right Jimbo but, new customers signing a 2 year contact get a price lock. If I am signing a 2 year contract then shouldn't I? A contract is a contract reguardless if it is a current sub or a new customer.

IF thats what it takes to lock in my current rate, I'll order another HR20.

I doubt that you would get the deal if your an existing sub, maybe StoneCold knows.

Its not a one time price increase that bothers me much such as $1-3. It is the constant price increases and the amounts of those increases. If we get three years of price increases of $3 each, thats a $9 PRICE INCREASE! OUCH! You bet people are going to do something about that one. Ten years ago the price was $20 for basic package, now its $35 soon to go up again. That is almost double. Are we going to look forward to it nearly doubling possibly $55-60 in the next ten years for the basic package? YES! Figure $2 per year x 10 = $20 price increase, if they are still around by then. Who would wipe them out? IPTV if internet access becomes available in rural areas more and more.

IF thats what it takes to lock in my current rate, I'll order another HR20.

I doubt that you would get the deal if your an existing sub, maybe StoneCold knows.

to be honest we dont price lock exsisitign customer which normallonly is only a 3 dollar credit a month . if you made a good enough argument to rentions they will give you 5 off for 12 which is better the nthe price lock.

After I signed up, I experienced a price hike at the same time as everyone else. I don't think there is a price lock for anyone including new subs.

We do not get or pay for locals from Direct TV, we get them for free in perfect HD ...over the air. We also get Dayton and well as Cincinnati locals OTA. It didn't make sense to pay for something that we get for free. We also don't subscribe to premium channels and do not have any HD channels from Direct TV. SD isn't that bad.

If the cost got too much, Shaw/Starchoice would be the next logical option or... cable.

I can get FOX and ABC in OTA but cannot get CW, NBC and CBS OTA therefore I still have to purchase the locals package.

I don't work in the finance of my division but it's not to hard to figure out that DIRECTV will have a slight residential price increase in 2010. They have a small price increase every year, doesn't bother me. It's called inflation. The price of groceries goes up a little over time, the price of a postage stamp goes up, etc..

I'm not gonna jump to DISHNETWORK. :)

It's kinda funy each year when I see a thread about DIRECTV price increases and they'll be replies like -
I just called DIRECTV and changed my service to only the basic service(no premiums). :mad:

I cancelled everything and I'm switched to cableTV ! :mad:

I can't take it anymore !! :mad:
I just got off the phone with DISHNETWORK, they're gonna be out on Wednesday to hook me up !! I'll get SHOWTIME free for 3 months.

Yes but the value of the dollar has deflated so there for there should be a price decrease!

I suggested that in these times we limit the rate increase on res subs down to nothing or less then a dollar. I am sure that suggestion was laughed at but I did feel that they would retain more customers with a letter and a very small increase and might even get word out and get more subs.

P.S. But again I remember a time with both dish and direct would go 2/3 years with out a increase.

Yes but the value of the dollar has deflated so there for there should be a price decrease!

Its called free market economy; what the market will bear; and this market seems to bear increases even in "tough times". Only when the market corrects or lowers, will the price have any chance of coming down. As long as enough consumers demand the product the price will stay firm and / or rise. Basic economics. More people should learn and understand these most basic economic principals (like them or not) and not let their emotions rule them. Now I am not saying I agree with any price increase; I simply understand how & why they happen and not get so overly upset and emotional about them.

They can't keep raising prices by $3 every year or it will go so high that nobody can afford to keep it.

They can't keep raising prices by $3 every year or it will go so high that nobody can afford to keep it.

Sure they can ...... I doubt it would get too out of hand at $3 a year.
People continue to talk about dropping the ST, but they keep having others sign up and they keep increasing the cost .....

Supply and Demand will cause the prices to continue to go up some every year.

Sure they can ...... I doubt it would get too out of hand at $3 a year.
People continue to talk about dropping the ST, but they keep having others sign up and they keep increasing the cost .....

Supply and Demand will cause the prices to continue to go up some every year.

Well I continue to drop stuff to compensate and there isn't much less I can drop without just dropping it all together.

Are the rate increases the satellite companies fault though? Look at the world of sports, every time you hear that your favorite player got a new contract valued at a few hundred million dollars, guess who ultimately is going to pay for it... YOU and ME.

Look at how much just ESPN has gone up this year. They have to pass off that rate increase somewhere.

As I said before, I am not picking on DirecTV here as I know Dish Network will also have a price increase, these commercial increases are just a sign of whats coming.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)