Price Increases for Dish on 2/1/2005

Stargazer said:
Not everyone realizes the increased costs that the companies have and they have to pass those along to the consumer. At the same time the profits go up. This is a given but this helps offset inflation as well.
Companies don't have to pass along anything. They set prices to maximize profit, period. Those prices depend strongly on the competitive marketplace and only very slightly on the cost of ingredients.

Dish doesn't raise rates because of increases in programming rates or launch fees or water bills or employee health insurance. Dish does it because it can.

As DishTechCB implies, when prices change, you as the consumer should reevaluate whether the product is worth buying. Once you've made that choice, move on.

What about Top 60 Plus?

What about Top 60 Plus w/Locals - I was about to switch and get that package - will it stay at 34.99 or go up $2 to $36.99(keep the $5 price diff w/top 60) - I don't see it in the list below?
BFG said:
priceIncrease_chart.gif

beantownslacker said:
What about Top 60 Plus w/Locals - I was about to switch and get that package - will it stay at 34.99 or go up $2 to $36.99(keep the $5 price diff w/top 60) - I don't see it in the list below?

AT60 with locals will be $31.99/month.

chaddux said:
AT60 with locals will be $31.99/month.
Got that, chad - I was asking about AT60 *Plus* I saw the rate without locals went up, but there was no mention of AT60 Plus w/Locals. I'm assuming its an extra $2 but I wasnt sure.
Thanks for the info.

beantownslacker said:
Got that, chad - I was asking about AT60 *Plus* I saw the rate without locals went up, but there was no mention of AT60 Plus w/Locals. I'm assuming its an extra $2 but I wasnt sure.
Thanks for the info.

I read that as "AT60 plus locals." Sorry. I would assume so.

e-mail frenzy

I used the feedback form RE: price increases and received 23 emails exactly the same saying the same thing mentioned below. Their mail servers must be acting up....
Anyone else

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your feedback regarding the February 1, 2005 price increase. As stated in our letter, the price change is a result of an increase in programming channel costs passed onto DISH Network. We have worked very hard to minimize the impact on our customers.

Below are some points that demonstrate how DISH Network is dedicated to providing you the best value in TV, with the highest quality programming at the lowest price possible:

· The costs for our services are still among the lowest of all-digital service providers. DISH Network is devoted to keeping our programming affordable.

· DISH Network has been a leader in product innovations with HDTV (High-definition Television), DVR (Digital Video Recorder), and ITV (Interactive Television).

· In 2004, these efforts resulted in DISH Network again being ranked "No. 1 in Customer Satisfaction among Satellite/Cable TV subscribers" by J.D. Power and Associates.

While we understand your concern over this increase, we do fully disclose that our prices are subject to change and make every effort to notify our subscribers well in advance.

Thank you for being a DISH Network customer.

Sincerely,

DISH Network

Your message:

How shameful of Dish network to accuse Cable of price increases when Dish Network is the PIG itself?

And here's the other joke:
"Dish Network is the leader in HD programming"

HAHAHAHAH
Shame on you Charlie Ergen.

Hmmm... So, my local cable company (Cox) is not raising their rates even 1 penny this year. And Dish is going up by $3 a month. Who's the "pig" now Charlie? :)

They need to stay competitive with cable with price and offerings and should not close the gap in the pricing of their packages. I do see that its still competitive with the AT60 package but the ones above that are starting to look a little less competitive now unless its someone that lives out in the country where no cable is available or has a crappy cable service with little to offer.

bryan:why do you hate dish so much,to say you hope it goes down like voom?I've been with dish since 96 and sure i had my issues, yet for me it sure beats cable and direct im sure has there issues also. harvey

Dish is fine for the standard stuff they provide. But they have appeared to just given up because lack of big coporate resources, they aren't competing well, or sounding optomistic for speciality things like HD programming and stuff

I wrote Dish an email asking how they could justify raising the prices for my America's "Top" 180 by almost 7% which is WAY more than inflation. I wanted to know what extras were being offered to justify such an increase.

I got just the standard answer.

That is because they didn't really read them. They gave you that address to vent about the price increase. They only sent you a response that says ; sorry the cost has gone up and here is why we are still the lowest cost provider and the leader ( HA HA HA HA HA) in Hd technology. I even replied to their email and said I don't even think ya'll read this sh*t we sent to you and I got the same reply back. They don't care they just want your $$$$$$$$$$. :mad:

bjohn said:
How shameful of Dish network to accuse Cable of price increases when Dish Network is the PIG itself?
On the way home from work today I heard a promo that started off saying something to the effect of "Comcast has recently raised the rates of basic cable 8% blah blah blah Switch over to Dish Network where you can get AT60 plus your locals for 29.99." I then did some quick math in my head and figured out that Dish themselves are raising their rates by close to 7%. They truly are hypocrites.

MikeD-C05 said:
That is because they didn't really read them. They gave you that address to vent about the price increase. They only sent you a response that says ; sorry the cost has gone up and here is why we are still the lowest cost provider and the leader ( HA HA HA HA HA) in Hd technology. I even replied to their email and said I don't even think ya'll read this sh*t we sent to you and I got the same reply back. They don't care they just want your $$$$$$$$$$. :mad:

Well they're getting $10 less of mine a month...just downgraded to AT120 (from AT180). Remember that if you downgrade that you have to ask that they waive the drop fee...they won't give it to you automatically.

I say they should drop the sirius radio and give me my three dollars back... or make it an option you can buy... I shouldnt have to shuck out bucks for 100 channels of music I am not ever going to listen to....