Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

Is that why some people get an email and others don't? I never seem to get anything for my personal account. I usually find out on here or from a retailer chat. It's amazing what things I find out here first when I'm a retailer and should be notified by Dish before the public. One of the best reasons to be a member here.

I have auto pay, had to update my credit card info, while doing so Dish gave me an option to receive email notices & updates

I don't remember them being that low, but won't argue the point.
I just verified with my spreadsheet (I keep a spreadsheet of my D* bill each month) and the last 3 years it went up $2, $3 and $3. almost 2 years ago the DVR fee went up a buck.

And of course they also changed the HD/DVR/Whole Home to $25 which was a $10 increase on top of that.
no it wasn't. It went up $2 (whole home went form $3 to $5)

When is the bleeding and greed going to stop?
The higher the price goes, the easier it is for Netflix/Amazon/Youtube to create their own unique content. At that point, the existing providers will be left with live sports events and lots of lost customers.

I don't think there's any way around DirecTV/Dish merger. They have to merge just to keep their costs at current levels. Just a matter of when at this point...

The higher the price goes, the easier it is for Netflix/Amazon/Youtube to create their own unique content. At that point, the existing providers will be left with live sports events and lots of lost customers.

I don't think there's any way around DirecTV/Dish merger. They have to merge just to keep their costs at current levels. Just a matter of when at this point...

I disagree. Competition is good for prices and hardware innovation. I really don't think the average consumer would be better off with less choices.

I disagree. Competition is good for prices and hardware innovation. I really don't think the average consumer would be better off with less choices.
I guess I wasn't so clear. I don't want them to merge, but it's pretty much inevitable as they need more scale to absorb these programming costs. They have no other way of fighting these programming costs.

It's going to end up the same as the wireless providers where you'll only have 3 or 4 cable/satellite providers in the whole country. It's already happening as Time Warner Cable is looking to be sold off and merged.

I just wish they would team up to fight against the networks and make them keep their prices in check a little better.

I may consider downgrading from the AT250 to the AT200 at some point but that's about it. I really like my Hopper system and I enjoy the majority of my programming. It's sad that I use to have the Everything package at the beginning of the year. Dish isn't making anything extra off of me with these increases.

I just wish they would team up to fight against the networks and make them keep their prices in check a little better.

That would be great if it worked. They would also either be able to shut down one set of satellites to save infrastructure costs or keep them all to increase their available bandwidth. Either way they would probably have to send techs out to replace 14 million Dish Network receivers and satellite dishes or continue to basically run it as two separate companies like SiriusXM did. Switching out that much equipment wouldn't be cheap but keeping infrastructure for both companies boxes would cut out a lot of the benefits of merging.

Any mention of other increases besides programming?

If that chart Angel posted is right there are. It looks like those of us who had Hoppers before they increased the fees will now be getting those increases too.

It's interesting that AT120+ isn't showing a price increase. I may drop from AT200 to AT120+ instead of dropping down to AT120 until baseball starts like I originally planned.

This means that my parents who have AT250 with 2 hoppers and 3 Joeys will now see a $12 increase in February. That's a little tough to stomach. They paid $200 extra to get a second hopper instead of a Joey because they were the same price at the time.

Last edited:
Just looking over past increases Direct and DISH certainly are close each year. It looks like Direct went up $3 for whole home, and $2 for advanced DVR. They also added a RSN fee in a couple, then it appears more markets, and it looks like HBO went up $2. And of course the packages went up in price. In the end not much different than DISH. I saw a $6 increase with DISH last year, before any discounts. I know others saw more.

It isn't so much the $60 more a year if the increase is $5, it's that it happens every year. $2 or $3 dollars is more understandable, $5 every year (plus sometimes other fees) is getting quite high. If that chart is correct some will pay $12 more!

I should have read the post above mine a little better. I see that now.

If that chart Angel posted is right there are. It looks like those of us who had Hoppers before they increased the fees will now be getting those increases too.

It's interesting that AT120+ isn't showing a price increase. I may drop from AT200 to AT120+ instead of dropping down to AT120 until baseball starts like I originally planned.

This means that my parents who have AT250 with 2 hoppers and 3 Joeys will now see a $12 increase in February. That's a little tough to stomach. They paid $200 extra to get a second hopper instead of a Joey because they were the same price at the time.

Yea while I want to see what Scott may get a hold of. For sure not a fan of the second Hopper fee going up if you were one of the early folks that have two hoppers

Angel M didn't see anything on your post about the regular dvr fee with vip equipment. I suppose/hope it stays the same?

This means that my parents who have AT250 with 2 hoppers and 3 Joeys will now see a $12 increase in February. That's a little tough to stomach. They paid $200 extra to get a second hopper instead of a Joey because they were the same price.

I am going to have the exact same increase on my bill. That sucks.

Hopper fee increases in addition to programming fee increases are ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yep, from what Angel posted, my bill (250 2H/1J) will go up $12. Ok, I can drop the Joey, and I already plan to drop the BB@H. Still not good. $5 for 18 months helps, but still.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)