Pricing Update from Dish Network

Dish is tightening up, cut costs, raise prices to increase earnings. That is obvious. Every little thing adds right on up. I look at every little cost and try to break them down and eliminate them. I do NOT like penny pinching.

I'm sure that the biggest price increase is affecting a very small percentage of subs. But I see I'm not the only one with 30%+ increase. I've already downgraded to the welcome pac, I have a 722 and a few EHDs full of movies and series all commercial free, so I can't cancel totally for now. I spent about 20 minutes role playing with a csr today but since I have the welcome pac now, I was only able to get 2 $5 credits. she was pretty green and had to ask others about some of my points. My bill will soon be $21.99 + tax for the welcome pac with locals and the $6 dvr fee after the credits run out. I have decided to remain a dish customer but will continue to be a big pain in the ass for them. If I personally can convince any or just one member or visitor to this site to reduce service or cancel or not sign up for dish, then my little increase will be negated. Since now they are going to get even less $ from me and as long as I can post on "SATELLITEGUYS" and hopefully cost them more money from others, I will continue to voice my contempt for this highly questionable business plan. This is plain and simple BAD MANAGEMENT with a hint of arrogance. To think this will not have some effect on them,not right away but over time is naive. The ads from competitors are not even here yet. As in all ads they only need a shred of truth to change customers perception of the truth.

"DISH the satellite pig that flies" :D

This is what I was told during my chat last night. I'll assume this is a scripted response.
"yes i do apologize but we have modeled our equipment fees to reflect that of cable companies and direct tv." What the hell is Charlie thinking!?

OK, here it is now appearing on my online account statement. I thought maybe it was just me, but Dish is coming out and saying that the phone line fee was being waived as part of a long-time promotion. To the best of my knowledge this is the first time they have called it a promotion or a credit or anything to that effect.

You have participated in a long-running promotional offer where you received discounted pricing on your 2-TV receivers by connecting them to a phone line. That promotional offer expired on January 31st. Because you are a valued customer, we have provided receiver credits on your account for six months.

Is there a retentions department? If I call and threaten to cancel, any chance I can get the HD channels for free? For me that is really the main selling point for cable. 5M/1M internet bundled in for about the same price as my 3M/768k dry loop DSL is just icing on the cake. The price difference between the two would then be minor - about $5 in favor of cable, IF I can get the HD thrown in for no additional charge. It would save me the hassle of changing providers too.

This is what I was told during my chat last night. I'll assume this is a scripted response.
"yes i do apologize but we have modeled our equipment fees to reflect that of cable companies and direct tv." What the hell is Charlie thinking!?

DirecTV charges $5 for extra receivers..........not $17.

to which I reply, I thought Dish Network intended to lead the market in service and savings, not play to the lowest common denominator. If that's the game Dish wants to play, they will loose, as if I'm going to decrease my services with dish, then everything is up for grabs.

Just checked my account online and found a $31 credit.

Indeed the $5 phone line credit is staying for 6 months and its a credit for all receivers not just one like Bob H has been reporting...

Attachments

• credit.jpg
    credit.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 188

Indeed the $5 phone line credit is staying for 6 months and its a credit for all receivers not just one like Bob H has been reporting...

The problem is that Dish has just put off the problem 6 months... It is such a bad strategy. They show the customer, here you bill is going up $40/month, but wait we will put it off 6 months by giving you a $31 credit... Essentially they are telling their best customers they have 6 months to find an alternative to Dish...

The problem is that Dish has just put off the problem 6 months... It is such a bad strategy. They show the customer, here you bill is going up $40/month, but wait we will put it off 6 months by giving you a $31 credit... Essentially they are telling their best customers they have 6 months to find an alternative to Dish...

I think this is a great idea. i say a credit of any amount is better than no amount at all.

I found one $5 credit (defined as "receiver credit)- 1 of 6 and a $2 credit (termed "loyalty credit" 1 of 6).

Receiver-wise I have a 722 and a 612 and both are connected via phone line. So...it would appear I am also receiving just one receiver credit- although perhaps only the secondary and additional receivers qualify?- I can't tell from your situation how many additional receivers you have.

EDIT: terminology change above

Last edited:
DirecTV charges $5 for extra receivers..........not $17.

Bell doesn't charge for additional receivers period! Bell doesn't charge a fee if you "own" a receiver. Bell doesn't charge to activate the external HD on the ViP211k equivelant receiver. Bell doesn't charge for having a DVR.

Of course Bell doesn't have SyFy... lol

Hmmm....

When I was testing different receivers with the calculator page, I noticed it only gives the $5 credit for the DUO receivers.
Initially I tested with a 722 and three 522s. It showed 3 of the $5 credits.
When I switched to a 722, a 522 and two 612s, it just showed 1 of the $5 credits.

That is probably why some people are seeing a different number of phone line credits.

How far S

Bell doesn't charge for additional receivers period! Bell doesn't charge a fee if you "own" a receiver. Bell doesn't charge to activate the external HD on the ViP211k equivelant receiver. Bell doesn't charge for having a DVR.

Of course Bell doesn't have SyFy... lol

Hmmm....

How far south do their beams go? Do we have any info on that?

Bob Haller to Leave Dish

Interesting, I joined DSBTalk in September 2002 (way before this site existed), shortly after I had Dish installed in my home. I distinctly remember one of the first threads I read was started by a certain Bob Haller, who was fed up and leaving Dish Network. :D

Some things never change ...

Now in my case I was paying a $7 fee on my new 722, even though it was the primary (part of the deal for getting the new receiver and 2nd dish). But I was paying no DVR fees since the 722 replaced my no-DVR-fee 721. I'll be very interested in what Dish does with my next bill, but in any scenario it will still be less than Comcast, so I'm sticking around for a while.

Last edited:
Interesting, I joined DSBTalk in September 2002 (way before this site existed), shortly after I had Dish installed in my home. I distinctly remember one of the first threads I read was started by a certain Bob Haller, who was fed up and leaving Dish Network. :D

Some things never change ...

+1

Plus wasn't it the illustrious Mr. H who helped trigger the war that spurred Scott to branch out on his own? Maybe we should send him a collective Thank You card?

I did it. Dropped from AEP to Top 250. Purchased a standalone BR player and restarting my Netflix subscription.

I agree that Dish Network is just delaying the inevitable troubles that it will face once the credits go away in six months.

+1

Plus wasn't it the illustrious Mr. H who helped trigger the war that spurred Scott to branch out on his own? Maybe we should send him a collective Thank You card?

I have heard that Bob contributed to it somehow but don't know for sure all the details myself. Was it an issue with Bob directly or was there an issue with others as a result of Bob and so forth? I never really paid a whole lot of attention to it.

I remember when DBSDish was out and then got bought out and the forums were no longer there and it turned into DBSForums then turned into DBSTalk then this site was formed. The whole time DishRetailer was always out I believe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)