Pricing Update from Dish Network

Anybody with two dual tuners on their account will see a price increase of $7-9 if they had their phone lines plugged in. That amount to me is signifigant.
$6.00 (in six months). Not a bank breaker.

C-band is about to be history

So sat providers will soon only be E* & D*. C-band is going away very soon as reported in the Sky Report.
C-Band at the End?

Looks like the consumer C-Band business will be dead and gone by the end of this year. After hearing from several retailers about rumors that Motorola would cease its authorization stream, we started making inquires. No response from Motorola but Mike Monfort of National Programming Service (NPS) confirms that the demise is likely.

"We had a conference call in late December when Motorola talked about discontinuing the authorization stream on April 15th," Monfort says. After some protests and concerted lobbying, the giant manufacturer boosted prices by 20%, agreed to continue service until the end of the year and said they will then decide the future.

Motorola will almost certainly discontinue the service, Monfort says, so his National Programming Service (NPS) has ceased selling annual subscriptions. That's bad news for many retailers and C-Band's current 22,606 subscribers. "The people who are left love their C-Band," Monfort says. But Motorola apparently finds the business inconvenient ... and so an era is coming to an end.•

Well my bill just arrived via e-mail. I have 2 622s and a 4700 with AEP package. I have multisport , superstations, DHPP, HD&platinum. Total increase $17.14 or 12%. I even lost $1 in the loyalty area. My last bill included the last of 12 $10 loyalty rebates. This bill includes a $4 loyalty ( 1 of 6) and $5 receiver credit(1 of 6). The state sales tax went up $1.12.

In a year that we didn't get a Social Security increase and our company retirement plan reduced our income by $10,000 per year due to a poor economy, the E* increase is hard to take. In my rural area I have no other options. D* doesn't carry our locals. So my only option is to find the extra $17.14 now and $26.14 in 6 months or reduce programming and equipment. If we reduce programming and equipment, both E* and I lose. I get less satisfaction with their service and if D* ever offers us a better deal with locals we bolt. E*'s cost to have us as a customer is pretty much a constant. So ,if we reduce our payment to them, their cost increase was a dumb business model. It will actually result in less revenue and a dissatified customer.

UPDATE: just called E* to complain and find out when my contract expires. They gave me a $5 discount for the next 10 months. They also reccommended I drop the 4700 and hook its output to one of my 622s I use in the single mode. I would need 2 additional #2 622 remotes. The quoted me $19.99 each with my DPHH service. I will do the switch first and see how well it works with the 1 #2 remote that came with the 622. If it works well I will order the extra remotes.

Last edited:
$6.00 a month!!??? Not a lot? Who are you kidding?

I'm as tired of you as you are of Bob. You post your rhetoric just as much as he does....

Who said you could leave the song name game thread?;)

Hemi and I have learned to get along, maybe you can do the same with Bob.

And there were many more people than Hemi and I involved in the VOOM drama.

Back on topic, $6.00 a month is a lot to most people!

And just what did my $6.00/not a bank breaker post have to do with Bob?

Well, you complain A LOT about Bob posting about not liking the cost increase, yet you do the same thing as he does, just with a different opinion than Bob.

I guess it's one of those pot calling kettle black thangs....

And you seem to be a very small minority voice since you don't mind the cost increase. Most others disagree with you.

So sat providers will soon only be E* & D*. C-band is going away very soon as reported in the Sky Report.
C-Band at the End?

Looks like the consumer C-Band business will be dead and gone by the end of this year. After hearing from several retailers about rumors that Motorola would cease its authorization stream, we started making inquires. No response from Motorola but Mike Monfort of National Programming Service (NPS) confirms that the demise is likely.

"We had a conference call in late December when Motorola talked about discontinuing the authorization stream on April 15th," Monfort says. After some protests and concerted lobbying, the giant manufacturer boosted prices by 20%, agreed to continue service until the end of the year and said they will then decide the future.

Motorola will almost certainly discontinue the service, Monfort says, so his National Programming Service (NPS) has ceased selling annual subscriptions. That's bad news for many retailers and C-Band's current 22,606 subscribers. "The people who are left love their C-Band," Monfort says. But Motorola apparently finds the business inconvenient ... and so an era is coming to an end.•

BUZZ! WRONG ANSWER!!!

I guess folks believe anything they read ;)
the truth is on the front page here and also the direct link
http://www.satelliteguys.us/4dtv-discussion/201810-dont-believe-nps-about-c-band-support-ending.html

part of a response
Mike Mountford is blowing smoke in his letter. Motorola is not ending support for c band at year end. I spoke with Mike Kohl yesterday at Skyvision, Both Skyvision and SRL have been in contact with Motorola and this is false information NPS is selling.

NPS got a 20% increase in there fee's they pay to Motorola in January (For ACC tier bit access I would guess) NPS is also in a no contract situation with A&E networks so those channels are on the line.

The deal with the devil (as Mike Kohl call's it) has been sealed with Charlie Ergen of Dish Network. NPS gets a Bounty from Charlie for every C band subscriber he turns over to them. NPS is getting out of the c band business at year end and closing it's doors.

Motorola is not happy with the lies NPS is spreading for there own benefit. Nps may be facing legal action for this.

If I would have to sum it up, NPS contact from Mr Mountford you got adding what I know. NPS contract ran out Jan 1st for tier bit access. They had till April 15 to pay the increases and renew. They refused to pay the 20% increase and got Motorola to extend it till Dec 31st for a smaller fee. Probably the 7% increase they raised programming in February. They figured the only way to win is to sell there customer base to Charlie Ergen getting a finders fee for each fool who converts.

Skyvision and SRL are under different contracts with Motorola , HITS (Comcast) and the programmers. They are not effected by anything NPS does with Motorola.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/2095702-post14.html

NPS is getting out of C-Band...they're in bed with Charlie now (have been for a while) and now I guess Charlie wants a ring

My bill currently went up by $5.43. After my six month credit my total price increase will be $16.43, or, a ittle over 14%. I had AEP and own both my 622 nad 722. This is just to much of a price increase. I will probably be making some kind of change.

Quoting the source

BUZZ! WRONG ANSWER!!!

I guess folks believe anything they read ;)
the truth is on the front page here and also the direct link
http://www.satelliteguys.us/4dtv-discussion/201810-dont-believe-nps-about-c-band-support-ending.html

part of a response

http://www.satelliteguys.us/2095702-post14.html

NPS is getting out of C-Band...they're in bed with Charlie now (have been for a while) and now I guess Charlie wants a ring

All I've done is quote Sky Report as a source. If it happens it happens if it don't they were wrong.

My New Bill Increase $4.00 a month!

Just got the email today and my new bill will increase my cost by $4.00 per month.

My second and third receiver went up $2.00 each, they were $5.00 now they are $7.00.

The calculator had it pretty close!

Does anyone know what the (15/0) after the service plan means?

Monthly Charges
Feb 16 - Mar 15 America's Everything Pak With Locals 99.99
Program Guide 4.25
Multi Sport 5.99
DISH Flicks 1.95
Service Plan (15/0) 6.00
Solo Receiver 7.00 (301)
HD Solo Receiver 7.00 (VIP 211)
HD & Platinum 10.00

$ 142.18

I WAS PLANNING ON ADDING A 722K BUT I WON'T NOW BECAUSE OF THE RECEIVER FEE INCREASE.

2 cent increase. That equates to an increase of 1/20th of 1% raise. My taxes went up 12 cents. Calculator had it spot on!

I had AEP and 2 Duos. My bill went up 13%. Both receivers were leased. I shut off one receiver, lowered to top 200 and got rid of Starz and Cinemax. My bill is now lower than before the price increase. We won't miss channels we never watched. programmer lose because they have fewer subscribers and Dish loses because they have less revenue.

Their big gamble is that they can retain enough of their price increase to offset their loss of subscribers and revenue. One of the big risks is that when you raise prices of the customers that spend the most, is that they jeopardize their relationship with their most profitable customers. There are an awful lot of first time deals out there.

We have FIOS in our neighborhood. They have a great deal for first timers. An HD Tivo would provide a DVR that is equal or better than Dish's. The only problem we had was we have a motor home. It's hard to get a fiber connection on the road, so we'll stay with Dish for the time being.

If they go nuts again, I may decide that I really don't need satellite in the motor home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)