Pricing Update from Dish Network

$6 per month to make up for fee increases WAY more than this, NOPE, NOT gonna cut it. Maybe $6 per receiver that you increased the fees on.

I currently have a leased 622 & a leased 522.

I've been thinking of purchasing a 722 from the Dish Store with my tax refund to replace the 522.

Are receivers that are owned outright and not leased still subject to all the fees?

You know the only people who are getting hit the hardest are the subs with AEP - they will now pay 6.00 dvr fee. Also subs with an extra dvr receivers on their account like the 522/625/622/722/722k receivers. THey will all pay the 5.00 no phone line connection fee, that used to be free if you plugged the phone line into your receiver. So if you have AEP and additional dvr receivers like I mentioned above , you get dry F*cked hard with no kiss at the end.

But the problem with all of these fees are they are made up JUST BECAUSE WE CAN Fees. This is going to make DISH the king of BIG ASS EQUIPMENT FEES. I don't see how DISH will be competitive any more with Directv on additional receivers. Once they start showing the cost of additional receivers compared to Directv they will look like greedy bastards . Which they are ,if they do these price hikes on equipment. Once again DISH took a positive -their great duo tuner dvrs receivers and made it into a NEGATIVE. You can only have ONE on your account or you will pay out the ASS. So this year will resemble the first 3 quarters of last year. Subs leaving in droves .

CHURN IS THE WORD Charlie!

For certain, I won't be accepting the $13/month increase in monthly expenses. I'll drop to AT250 from AEP, dump the 510, and 501, add a 722k and add Netflix with streaming for the PS3 and/or Xbox 360 and still save about $6/month.

But before i'll do that I'll shop around and see what DirecTV might do. I get the feeling they'll still be more expensive since they don't have anything like the 622 or 722k. But the attitude of dish, pretending like they are only raising prices $1.00, or saving us $.98, by including a stupid fee that nobody paid anyway, drives me nuts. They are trying to piss on us and tell us it's raining. Well, I don't play that way.

Well said, I just re-activated my Netflix Account, I've been paying $150(plus taxes) monthly plus taxes for too long....and my bill is going to be almost $170...No way Charlie no way....:rant:

His & my answers

and he won't. All talk...and talk...and talk...and talk...and talk...and talk...and talk...and talk...and talk...

Bob decided to put this answer in another thread.
The bundle will save me serious bucks. But right now i am swamped at work 14 hour days dont leave time for shopping, and i need to be here for install, cant miss a day of work to babysit a installer.

hey I take business when it comes$$

It appears during the 2 weeks of snow daily weather most of my customers decided to wait till the weather improved.

its better now and the phone is busy...... and i am tired:(

You could've put this in a thread where I actually said this instead of one where I didn't. I really hope that FIOS will make you happy. If I were to live in an area that had it I might consider it. But since all of the areas where I live & will be living are too small won't have a chance. It was in one about TV antennas.

I'm not trying to defend Dish in any way, but playing devils-advocate, the extra $3 fee tacked on to DVR receivers is not necessarily a double-dip - it may just represent the higher cost of the receiver since they have an approx $80 hard drive built-in. Extending the $3/mo cost to add up to $80 works out to about 26 months - probably about the anticipated life of the hard drive in the receiver before it crashes and has to be replaced.

If Dish is paying $80 for hard drives that are only going to last them 26 months, then I would highly suggest they go find themselves a new, more reliable supplier.

I have an $80, 200 GB hard drive in a computer that has been going strong for almost 8 years.

If Dish is paying $80 for hard drives that are only going to last them 26 months, then I would highly suggest they go find themselves a new, more reliable supplier.

I have an $80, 200 GB hard drive in a computer that has been going strong for almost 8 years.
Not to mention that Dish charges many folks $199 or more a feww to geta leased box, a fee that is not a deposit. The customer more then pays for the hard drive.

Dish is double dipping... or in this case triple dipping. :)

But the problem with all of these fees are they are made up JUST BECAUSE WE CAN Fees.

Exactly.

$6.00 DVR fee. What exactly is Dish providing to warrant a $6.00 fee? The receiver, which is now astronomically priced at a whopping $17.00/month, is what gives us the ability to pause, rewind and record TV. There is no comparable "service" being offered in exchange for this $6.00 fee.

Besides that, Dish has now decided to PUNISH anyone who wants to have additional DVR's by making the additional receiver fees so high. Which seems very odd to me, because I would think that typically, the multiple DVR homes are their bigger accounts.

So now Dish has me seriously asking the question, "Why would I ever pay more for their additional DVR?" I don't know. I'm going to have to take a long hard look at that second DVR and decide if it's worth $17.00/month to have 2 HD and 2 SDTV's hooked up.

The Dish execs probably think this;

"If we raise receiver prices, we can squeeze extra $5.00/month/DVR out of people!"

But the average consumer thinks like this;

"If I drop those extra DVR, I can lower my bill by $12.00/month/receiver!"

It will be interesting to see what people actually do.

Not to mention that Dish charges many folks $199 or more a feww to geta leased box, a fee that is not a deposit. The customer more then pays for the hard drive.

Ah yes, I almost forgot about that.

The price to purchase a 722k is somewhere between $300-$350. As you said, Dish very often charges $199, just to LEASE the machine. In my case, they only charged $99.

Assuming Dish leases a receiver at the initial cost of $99, then it would take them just under 15 months to collect the additional $251 (for a total of $350). From then on, each $17 monthly fee is pure profit.

It's much worse for those who own their receiver. They pay $350 to get the receiver, and they STILL have to pay the $17/month fee. For what? What service is Dish providing to them that warrants such a ridiculously huge fee?

That would be like me going out and buying a car outright, and the manufacturer requiring me to pay $50/month to them for as long as I own the car.

I'm going to have to take a long hard look at that second DVR and decide if it's worth $17.00/month to have 2 HD and 2 SDTV's hooked up.
I have a lone 722 hooked up two three HDTVs and two SDTVs. True I can only have two different programs playing at the same time (with one in HD and one in SD), but for my family that seems to be just fine.

I think these fee rate hikes are going to backfire for DISH. I think some people will cut down the number of rec'rs they have and others will leave for D* (who only charges $5 per extra rec'r) or cable. You would think E* would at least keep the fees low (and competitive with D*) for the first two rec'rs since that'd be the vast majority of their customers -- but instead they are getting very greedy!

Ah yes, I almost forgot about that.

The price to purchase a 722k is somewhere between $300-$350. As you said, Dish very often charges $199, just to LEASE the machine. In my case, they only charged $99.

Assuming Dish leases a receiver at the initial cost of $99, then it would take them just under 15 months to collect the additional $251 (for a total of $350). From then on, each $17 monthly fee is pure profit.

It's much worse for those who own their receiver. They pay $350 to get the receiver, and they STILL have to pay the $17/month fee. For what? What service is Dish providing to them that warrants such a ridiculously huge fee?

That would be like me going out and buying a car outright, and the manufacturer requiring me to pay $50/month to them for as long as I own the car.

You got a point there. That is ethically WRONG! This should be against the law! Amazing how some people got raised to not to be ashamed of anything. Somehow it seems that someone failed to set high standards wherever they grew up. This greed is simply disgusting, and reflects the demise of this country precisely. One of these days it will catch up with them.:rant:

refigured

I just looked at my bill again and realized that I will start being charged the $6 DVR. Since I only have one then no other fee. Thing is I haven't been charged a fee since Aug. I will now get hit w/ 6 too. So I'll have to hit the chat the day after I get hit.

I'd pay $99 to lease it but not $199. You can get one for around $250 if you shop around. When they charge you nearly as much to lease it as they do to own it, that is when your better off owning it then selling it when you do not need it anymore.

I just looked at my bill again and realized that I will start being charged the $6 DVR. Since I only have one then no other fee. Thing is I haven't been charged a fee since Aug. I will now get hit w/ 6 too. So I'll have to hit the chat the day after I get hit.
Your program package, like mine, was probably padded $5.00 for one DVR fee. IE, Silver is/will be $52.99 but have been paying $57.99. After Feb, it will go back down, then the $6.00 DVR fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)