Pricing Update from Dish Network

I'm guessing quite a few high end E* subs will soon be subs of other providers.

It may take more than this to scare off the fanboys, but those high-end subs that were only with E* due to price will start jumping ship soon, I suspect.

Dish Network Price Increases

Anyone with paperless billing may not even be aware of these increases unless they view there statement on channel 100. These dish network morons aren't telling any of there customers about this increase. I called dish and asked the customer rep. about the increase and she stated that it wasn't an increase that they were just restructuring the way the bill reads and the package names.....BS!!! If I paid 52.90 per month for the past 2 years and now my new bill is going to be 61.00 then I call that an increase.

Anyone with paperless billing may not even be aware of these increases unless they view there statement on channel 100. These dish network morons aren't telling any of there customers about this increase. I called dish and asked the customer rep. about the increase and she stated that it wasn't an increase that they were just restructuring the way the bill reads and the package names.....BS!!! If I paid 52.90 per month for the past 2 years and now my new bill is going to be 61.00 then I call that an increase.

Some years at DirecTV, when some packages went up and others went down (yes, it did happen once), DirecTV instructed their agents to refer to a "price adjustment", not "price increase". That is probably what DishNet told their agents this time.

But, as is well detailed in this and other threads, some peoples' bills went down, so it isn't a "price increase" across the board.

Dish Network or DirecTV

I looked at possibly changing to Direct from Dish and for the first 12 months I could save about 11 bucks a month but they require a 24 month committment and after the first 12 months the monthly fee nearly doubles.

I just beat Dish out of $20/mo for 12 months on top of the $11/mo receiver/loyalty withOUT a commitment.

That works.

We'll see what they do between now and next February. He also hinted that there MIGHT be a way to get to Single receivers (612's) without having to shell out $105/ea coming.

We'll see if they actually make this all work in the billing system.

They offered me free 612s to replace my 622s and 722. Free as in leased and a 24 month commitment.

I was checking my online bill, still hasn't posted, and when I reread the 2010 Updates it provoked a thought.

With DISH, there is no monthly fee for your first receiver which, in some cases, may operate two TVs. For each additional receiver beyond the first, we have combined what was previously up to three separate fees per receiver, into one fee per receiver. To give you the best pricing if you have multiple receivers, we will always consider the receiver with the highest monthly fee as your first.
What three fees that I was (wasn't) paying have been combined? So if I wasn't paying them before, and they are there now, if it's not a fee increase then where did they come from and why? :confused:

Is this the new DISH Confusion Theory?

Directv Pricing

Yeah, they definitely won't budge.

I was offered the equivalent of $32 off. Not per month or per year. $32 off total!:mad:

Disgusting greed.

I canceled.

Directv is much less expensive for Premier customers with multiple HD DVRs.

I called Directv and arm wrestled with them on price and also new equipment. I have 4 HD DVR's with Dish.

Directv's prices for two years saves me $780 or $32.50 per month. My equipment costs to acquire 4 Directv DVR's would be $298 (they would give me the first two free, $99 for the third and $199 for the fourth). In addition, because their DVR's do not have an OTA tuner you must purchase two AM21 OTA boxes to duplicate what the DISH DVR's do by virtue of having an OTA tuner built in. The AM21 boxes are $50.00 each. This brings the total equipment cost to $398.

By deducting the equipment costs I would save $382 dollars by switching to Directv. I can also save another $100 using my son as a referral (he also gets a $100 credit). In addition, AAA members get $10 per month for 24 months for signing with Directv. This generates another $240 savings for a total savings of $722 over 24 months, even with purchasing new equipment.

I am calling Dish shortly and see if they will match the Directv deal. I doubt that they will.

If not, I will switch.

I called Directv and arm wrestled with them on price and also new equipment. I have 4 HD DVR's with Dish.

Directv's prices for two years saves me $780 or $32.50 per month. My equipment costs to acquire 4 Directv DVR's would be $298 (they would give me the first two free, $99 for the third and $199 for the fourth). In addition, because their DVR's do not have an OTA tuner you must purchase two AM21 OTA boxes to duplicate what the DISH DVR's do by virtue of having an OTA tuner built in. The AM21 boxes are $50.00 each. This brings the total equipment cost to $398.

By deducting the equipment costs I would save $382 dollars by switching to Directv. I can also save another $100 using my son as a referral (he also gets a $100 credit). In addition, AAA members get $10 per month for 24 months for signing with Directv. This generates another $240 savings for a total savings of $722 over 24 months, even with purchasing new equipment.

I am calling Dish shortly and see if they will match the Directv deal. I doubt that they will.

If not, I will switch.
Don't forget if you own any of your dish dvrs you can sell them to make up some of the up front costs of direct as well.

Don't forget if you own any of your dish dvrs you can sell them to make up some of the up front costs of direct as well.

Jonhern,

Yes, I own two 622's, the 722's are leased. I hate to leave DISH but I am not going to put up with this treatment. I have been a loyal customer for many years. One would think that subs that have everything that DISH offers would get better treatment than those with entry or mid level plans. This is not the case.

I do hate to loose all the programs stored on my two hard drives as I am sure they will not be playable on the Directv DVR's.

I guess it is worth it to save $722 for 24 months. This is also predicated on Directv not raising their rates! If if they had another rate increase I should still come out with a net savings.

Thanks for the tip. I will be putting the two 622's on eBay or Craigslist soon no doubt.

Unfortunately only about four of us have canceled as far as I have read here. Even Bob bent over and took it despite his 5,000 posts that he would cancel.

We are a drop in the bucket. I still find it incredible that in this deep recession a company penalizes its best customers with unjustifiable price hikes. This is pure greed, plain and simple and I refuse to patronize a greedy company.

Be careful. It is impossible to get both the referral credit and the AAA credit on the same account.

AAA DirecTV Discount Info:
DirectvSplash.jpg
In the small print at the bottom it says:
New cutomers must sign up using the phone number provided (1-800-242-9114) and order their leased system (on approved credit) by 12/31/10.
For the referral program (click "Additional Offer Details" in the bottom-right corner), the small print says:
Referred customers must sign up for service & hardware using the phone number provided (1-866-443-8869) and mention your DIRECTV account number at the time of order.
It is not possible to place your order on both phone numbers, and you cannot place your order on one, then call the other to get the other offer.

So, the AAA and Referral offers are mutually exclusive. You can't have both.

Kheldar,

I called the AAA Directv phone and they confirmed that the credit is $10 a month for 24 months and a total of $240, not $200 that you posted. Maybe that was a link to an old offer.

Not being critical. I do appreciate your help.

I sent my letter to Charlie Ergen expressing my displeasure with the 22.5% increase. I also reminded him that Directv is nearly $300 cheaper each year even accounting for the equipment I must purchase to switch.

I will post the jest of what they offer.

Last edited:
So, if I actually OWN both a 722 as well as a 722k, should i be getting charged the $17/month plus the $6 DVR fee?
I can't seem to find the answer.

I thought they had made another mistake on the 722k that I just added to the account (they ALWAYS screw something up - every time any change is made) and listed it as a lease, which they've tried before.
It's just such a hassle trying to get these morons to correct their errors every time...I'm getting pretty sick of it. The ONLY reason I'm still with Dish is the DVR. if DTV comes up with something comparable - I'm gone.

Yep, $6 for DVR service for as many DVRs that you would like, and $17 for every duo DVR that you have past the first one. It makes no difference whether you own or lease.

Unfortunately only about four of us have canceled as far as I have read here. Even Bob bent over and took it despite his 5,000 posts that he would cancel.

We are a drop in the bucket. I still find it incredible that in this deep recession a company penalizes its best customers with unjustifiable price hikes. This is pure greed, plain and simple and I refuse to patronize a greedy company.

Well their gross $ from me is likely less:)

I dropped AEP and went to top 250, and dropped a receiver too:) they supposedlky gave me a 10 buck a month discount and free HBO or whatever for 3 months But I havent gotten a written bill yet:(

Plus I am contract FREE, and shopping for options. Cant do much of anything right now my garage is PACKED SOLID and FIOS or comcast will need access to run new lines., MUST have nice weather for that, currently its still snow snow snow:(

FIOS would of got me but they raised my bundle 10 bucks a month So I didnt on the principle of the thing. Doing some phone rewiring on monday I drop my home line and make it a identi ring number on my business line.......

Frankly I am sick of the entire thing:(

Hey Whats with the Directv Flyer in the Dish Network thread?
Don't you guys think that would be better suited in the Directv Forum?

And Don't forget, You still have to pay for AAA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)