Prime Time TV Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found Orange is the New Black on the 2nd page and no activity since June.... Either no one from this site likes the show or they can't find it :rolleyes: I had to search for House of Cards and yes, it's in that forum, but no activity since the first week of June.

Well, the thing is that streaming shows are different. They come out in a block, all at once. People watch them at their own pace, so there isn't any case of "Did you see what XXX did last night". I saw that 3 weeks ago because I binged on the show, but Frank may not get around to seeing that for another month.

For half of us, its old news, and we know how the situation resolved 3 episodes later. For others, the whole season is still a spoiler. Makes it hard to discuss anything beyond release schedules.

Reactions: Hall
Well, the thing is that streaming shows are different. They come out in a block, all at once. People watch them at their own pace, so there isn't any case of "Did you see what XXX did last night". I saw that 3 weeks ago because I binged on the show, but Frank may not get around to seeing that for another month.

For half of us, its old news, and we know how the situation resolved 3 episodes later. For others, the whole season is still a spoiler. Makes it hard to discuss anything beyond release schedules.
Good point.

Perfectly valid, I agree. But, the same principle applies in the regular TV show area - many people DVR multiple episodes or watch them one episode at a time but maybe a day or two later. In those cases, if you're not caught up, stay the **** out of the thread discussing the show !! :p

I disagree. People don't go into the IPTV thread to discuss the actual programming
Yeap, just because the pop-up/hover description says that's where they're to be discussed doesn't make it the best place. The fact is, there's little to no discussion about IPTV-exclusive programming in there. Plus, why mix it up with stories about a streaming service shutting down, a production deal signed between parties, an FCC proposal, and so on ?

As a person who has just recently started chatting in the TV show threads I never would have looked in the IPTV thread for any of those shows. I was expecting to see them in the Prime Time threads and I'm sure other people who come to the site think the same thing. I think it would make more sense to have a streaming series thread in the Prime Time area along with all the other shows we talk about. Just my opinion, not a big deal now that I know where to actually find those shows.

Perfectly valid, I agree. But, the same principle applies in the regular TV show area - many people DVR multiple episodes or watch them one episode at a time but maybe a day or two later. In those cases, if you're not caught up, stay the **** out of the thread discussing the show !! :p

You miss some of the point, Hall. Unless I have completely finished the latest season, I need to stay out of discussion threads. Otherwise I am in danger of having something spoiled. By the time I finish, this is old news. Discussing a season in its entirety isn't as fun, and individual episodes are not practical due to the spoiler issue. I guess you could spin a thread for every episode, but I bet that would get shut down and combined.

In those cases, if you're not caught up, stay the **** out of the thread discussing the show !!

Unless I have completely finished the latest season, I need to stay out of discussion threads. Otherwise I am in danger of having something spoiled.
Isn't that what I said ? The alternative is:
  • Regular thread that covers the TV show on a relatively real-time basis
  • Thread for binge watchers, e.g. Netflix subscribers. What is discussed there ? Talk about season 4 when someone is just starting season 1 ?
  • Thread for each, individual episode
Again, and this applies to all (3) scenarios: If you're playing catch-up to any degree, you have to avoid threads like these. Oooh, I forgot one: Thread based on seasons. At least with that one, a person can discuss/participate in the season's threads that they've watched. It would probably be lonely for someone who is just starting to watch season 1, 2, etc of shows that have been out for a while though.

My vote is for Regular thread that covers the TV show on a relatively real-time basis only.

So, you propose to start bragging rights threads. "Nya, Nya, I stayed up all night and finished the season before anyone else." Kind of like what happens with new video games? I don't read those either. In my mind, these threads will be DOA for most of us. You will see few responses, and I think that is the real reason why you noticed that the existing threads had few responses.

BTW, just 'love' the way you extracted the part of my last quote that agreed with you and ignored the part that explained the problems with it.

Where did I suggest a "bragging rights thread" ? How do you correlate a "Regular thread that covers the TV show on a relatively real-time basis only" with "Nya, Nya, I stayed up all night and finished the season before anyone else" ?

It's still not clear what format you're suggesting.

Again your voice has been heard. We wanted to try something new, and unfortunately it did not work like we expected it to.

The old configuration has returned.

In addition we are adding a new forum for Television News Links, this is a forum where all links to TV Network and Show news for outside SatelliteGuys to go. No links should be posted in the network forums themselves. This will allow those who don't want to know things to be possibly spoiled by the news links. In addition we have setup this forum so that Google and other spiders do not index that forum.

Now we have the best of everything, thanks to your suggestions and comments!

Sounds like a great idea to have a separate section for the show news and related links, I was checking the forum, and I think that one is to be up there soon.

Where would be otherwise be buried/overlooked in IPTV, a Prime Time thread would be a place to announce series, old and new coming to Netflix, Amazon and Hulu.

Case in point, the new Amazon Series, "Transparent", starring Jeffrey Tambor, a critical darling that has yet to be mentioned on this site, to my knowledge. Regardless if you like the subject.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/reviews/tv-review-amazons-transparent-1201307061/

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-transparent-review-20140926-column.html

See the point?

Last edited:
Well I added the News Forum the other day... but forgot to make it viewable by everyone. Fixed now! Sorry about that! (DOH!)

Ok guys and gals... time for your feedback.

As you can see, the TV News forum has opened. In order to avoid clutter and to keep things as easy as possible for everyone, I have created a few dedicated show threads to start off (Flash, NCIS, etc.). New news picked up (or in development) by a network would obviously get its own thread (Supergirl is an example).

Any other thoughts?

S~

I'might going to add a post to the sticky about news link. I'm going to run it through the rest of the staff first.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.