Prime Time TV Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found some kind of glitch, tried to create a thread for ABC´S Black-ish and I got error message "The network the TV show is from is not allowed to be posted on this site."
Apparently, the error is generated because the Airs On info hasn´t been populated on TMDB.
Also as I see it no thread can be created until the show is created on the Movie database ? I think

and with the updated episode information after each show
I was going to ask how that part is implemented and then saw this:
If you wish to post an episode for this TV show, enter the TMDb Episode Link:

Don't have the episode link? Look it up at The Movie Database.
Going to themoviedb.org site, then drilling down to the season you want, and finally copy and pasting (??) the episode link isn't very efficient or user-friendly. Yes, I realize it's only been a short time since you implemented it but only @teachsac has done it.

Two other things: 1) The listings are stuck in numerical/alphabetical order. Would seem better if an updated thread gets bumped to the top of the listing. 2) Ignore "the" when sorting. When I think of Big Bang Theory, well, there you go - that's how I think of it or say it. I don't think The Big Bang Theory. I know the answer to this though... that is how themoviedb.org lists/sorts them and it's just picked up as-is. I don't know how PLEX Media Server does it, but it parses titles like that and makes them read "Big Bang Theory, The".

Most take for granted I'll do the updates, which I will keep doing. Much easier than doing it manually. Problem right now is not all the shows and episodes are up to date.

S

I think depending on the movie db makes it more difficult if that db is not updated, some shows in there have been created, but not all data has been populated, and therefore trying to paste the link doesn´t work, (same thing when I tried to create the NCIS NO thing),
If done manually, the old forum is about the same thing, but it´s more friendly because when entering any shows with recent activity/comments will be on top, on the new forum, as mentioned above, one has to look for a particular show by scrolling down.
I prefer the old forum.

Someone please explain to me what problem this new system is supposed to fix. Change for the sake of change is crap.

I haven't been looking at the TV forums much lately, but somebody in this thread said that they were suffering from someone pasting in mass amounts of news from another site, like in the phone forum? Well, if that person's actions were that unpopular, why not ask them to please stop, and if they continue, ban them?

Reactions: KAB and Hall
Most take for granted I'll do the updates, which I will keep doing. Much easier than doing it manually. Problem right now is not all the shows and episodes are up to date.

S
As others have asked, why do we need weekly updates? I, quite frankly, find them nearly as annoying as the bot. There is no real purpose to them other than cluttering a thread. If some just has to know about what's coming up, they can go to a program guide, or TV Guide. Sorry, I know you put a lot of effort in it, but that's my honest opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: dfergie and klang
You shouldn't have to. You see how many shows there are ? Plus, will you only do the ones you like/watch, popular shows ?
An interesting exercise is to go back 20 years and look at the prime time lineup
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994–95_United_States_network_television_schedule
Pay attention to the 50 new shows that debuted that year. I can only recall a handful and only a couple that were long running hits.

Point is that our judgement is probably better than a bot's about what has legs and deserves a thread.

There's no "bot" involved that I can see. Users here have to query the database over at themoviedb.org by inputting a show's title. It appears that Scott manually entered a whole bunch of shows which in turn generated a unique thread for each. I could be wrong about that though.... Once a thread exist, yes, a bot is supposed to do something, but as each episode airs, it looks like a user has to "request" the episode data to be pulled over:

tmdb.png

And the process relies on TMDB being updated, I found a couple of shows over there, the show has been created, not all info has been updated, and if the network is not updated, then inserting the link on the new forum will just generate an error message, therefore the show´s thread can´t be created and of course no updates for episodes either.

I use TheTVDB.org with my Plex Media Server and it appears to be kept up to date pretty well. For example, Black-ish has an entry and data for (2) shows for Season 1. I have no idea how many episodes of that show have aired, admittedly.

I use TheTVDB.org with my Plex Media Server and it appears to be kept up to date pretty well. For example, Black-ish has an entry and data for (2) shows for Season 1. I have no idea how many episodes of that show have aired, admittedly.

Black-ish just aired the premiere a couple of days ago.

So TheTVDB.org is better updated... Maybe some XF plugin author should port it! :-D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I haven't been looking at the TV forums much lately, but somebody in this thread said that they were suffering from someone pasting in mass amounts of news from another site, like in the phone forum? Well, if that person's actions were that unpopular, why not ask them to please stop, and if they continue, ban them?

Its been argued to death on the site and in private areas (like the staff area when I was staff) and was told by the owner "well it brings in visitors". But if I have to click on a title to click on a link to dslreports....why wouldnt I just go to DSL reports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)