Primestar Dish question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
OK, my wife found some Primestar dishes for me....no lnb though. Can I use a regular LNB like I use on my Fortec 31" dish? Thanks!

I don't see why not... Only thing you may need to check is that the arm length is the same so that your not way off target. Playing with some 18"ers a while back, I noticed that the 18"er that is specifically meant to aim at two birds was shaped differently than a single shot 18" dish and that the arm length was like 1 inch or so different than the other 18"... I think on the bigger dishes arm lengths are all roughly the same size in proportion to size of dish, but I could be wrong?

Last edited:
mesh
You're thinking of the 20" Dish500's. The 18" dish was only for one LNB and had the right focla length:)
The 20" dishes needed the "Y" adapter or an "I" adapter for a single LNB

iafire
yes it is possible. Most Primestar LNB's bolted to the arm and there is a "dip" on the bottom of the arm. What I have done is "gutted" a LNB. The dip is a 20mm holder and normal LNB's are 40mm. Once you remove all the plastic (which is really just for show) :) you have a 20mm LNB that will easily slip in there. Get a clamp at the hardware store to keep it in place :)

oh, and dishes as in plural??

Thanks guys! Someone that is a customer at the bank she works at owns a Directv dealership and she asked them. They have the dishes, but no lnbs. He told her they can order the lnbs though. So, I am having her check on the price and such. Fingers crossed :)

iafirebuff said:
OK, my wife found some Primestar dishes for me....no lnb though. Can I use a regular LNB like I use on my Fortec 31" dish? Thanks!

Grab as many as you can get your hands on . Yes they will work , just a little field engineering needed .

Wyr

Iowa isn't too far north of here! :)

Might be nice to make a trip and visit the ol alma matter (Truman State) up in Kirksville (aka Coldsville - it's right at the northern border of the state so temp there is always about 10 degrees cooler year-round than it is down here in mid MO... probably even chilier up there north of the border)

My wife left a message for the guy as he was gone for the day. I am hoping to score some for real cheap or free :) If so, will let you guys know.

I have a 30'' by 40'' primestar dish which didn't have a lnb when I got it. All I did was use a zip tie on it. Works great! I have it pointing to G10.

Larry
Here is what I meant by gutting the LNB case :)

When you remove the plastic, whats left is a 20mm shaft to fit right on that P* dish :)

Attachments

• IM000830.JPG
    IM000830.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 146
What size Primestar dishes? There are a few models... the 1 meter round (standard issue 1 meter Channel Master), a 40" x 30", and at least one other (something like 36 x 24, but I know that's wrong, someone will chime in with the correct size)...

Iceberg said:
Larry
Here is what I meant by gutting the LNB case :)

When you remove the plastic, whats left is a 20mm shaft to fit right on that P* dish :)

Thanks for the pic! I have been buying the Sadoun KUL1 lnbs, and they look to be different. What brand is the lnb that you have in the pic? The Primestar dish that is in my neighborhood has the lnb on it, so it I can get that then no problem there. As for the other dishes, I would try to order an lnb like you show. Are you ready for the heat Ice?

Tron said:
What size Primestar dishes? There are a few models... the 1 meter round (standard issue 1 meter Channel Master), a 40" x 30", and at least one other (something like 36 x 24, but I know that's wrong, someone will chime in with the correct size)...

I do not know what size the dishes are from the satellite shop. The one in my neighborhood is a ovel/oblong looking dish.

the 3rd size is 37x27 (40x30, 1m round are the other two)

Larry the LNB that is in the picture is a Fortec Universal (Sadoun sells those)

no I'm not ready for the heat :(

Larry
I find that LNB's that are "L" shaped are pretty much going to be able to use a 20mm shaft. I have a couple old LNB's that is straight out (like your cuirrent ones) and after gutting them, One could work (little bigger than 20mm) and the 2nd is way too big :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)