Primestar Dish will work for FTA reciever??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

afa2325

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
24017, Roanoke
Hello, I'm new here -I wanted to know if what I read was correct, the article stated that old Prime-star Dish( which in still standing erect in the ground in my backyard) would work with a FTA Receiver?? is that right...if so what FTA receiver do you recommend (not to expensive). I was looking for one that would receive a lot of the Spanish channels that are not encrypted for a gift for mom. one that would pickup SatMEX6,Galaxy 16,LyngSat stream, intelasat..any help I would great appreciate, I very new to this and would like to learn so I can started as soon as possible ..thank you in adavnce

Wow you dug this thread out of the archives afa2325...lol...Yes a Primestar ( Channel Master ) dish will work for FTA...What do you see molded on the back of the dish..84e,,1.0x.7 or 1m...If you have one of those Primestars then it is a one to hang on to...Now if it is a .9x.63 75e then it will work but a bit undersized and not so desirable.

As far as a not to expensive receiver I really like my Amiko Mini HD....lots of folks have the Micro HD and I see good things posted about them too.

Can you post a pic of that dish?
Welcome to Sat Guys.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Yes that dish will work for Ku-Band. Some of the stuff you want though will require a C-Band dish, the large 8-12 footers.

I agree with the suggestion on the Amiko Mini HD SE receiver. It is a very good receiver and my current favorite. For a $99 dollar NA supported receiver you cannot beat it.

If when you're looking at 'channels' note their frequency. Ku band, the one the Primestar is designed for, are 5 digits (11700 to 12200)
For those with 4 digits (3700 to 4200), is C band, a much larger dish is required.
You may want to (have to) replace the electronics on the front of the dish (LNB-LNBF) in order to receive both, vertical and horizontal, polarities.
Pictures?

He will find it ok.(In fact he is reading this thread as I type this ;) )

I broke it off of a 8 year old thread, to help him get the help he specially needs. :)

He should not be reviving an 8 year old post, that's crazy. Start a new one as things may have changed since the original post. Some people just don't have a clue.

He should not be reviving an 8 year old post, that's crazy. Start a new one as things may have changed since the original post. Some people just don't have a clue.
True!..But the effort he did for his first post to find a proper thread should be commended...Hope the op comes back and gives us a pic of that dish so we can help further.

yup Primestar dishes work great for free to air. Had a couple of them previously

Now I would suggest taking off the cover on the LNB to see how many outputs are on there. The older ones had 2 outputs but one was vertical polarity and one was horizontal polarity. If so you can either switch out the LNB or get a 2x4 (or 3x4) multiswitch to combine the polarities together

Attachments

• 000_0344.jpg
    000_0344.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 984
  • 000_0347.jpg
    000_0347.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 453
As Iceberg stated you will need a multiswitch to go along with that Primestar ( Japan Radio ) LNB or there is a Eagle Aspen dual output lnb out there that will bolt right up th the C 120 flange that is a dual polarity with no need for a multiswitch...I can not for the life of me find a link but it is out there.

Since he mentioned wanting a lot of Spanish channels and Satmex 6 I would bet he is talking about using it for a mini bud. That may be possible on Satmex 6 depending on the size of the dish. Haven’t tried it in a while but used to get around 10 - 12 itc spanish channels there with my 1 meter channel master. I think most were on the Azteca mux.

Primestar Dish will work for FTA reciever??--PHOTOS

2014-04-19 12.14.58.jpg2014-04-19 12.15.22.jpg2014-04-19 12.16.04.jpg2014-04-19 12.16.28.jpg2014-04-19 13.53.04.jpg2014-04-19 13.54.11.jpg2014-04-19 13.53.55.jpg

Ok, guys sorry for going through the archives :eek:, instead of starting a new one. I'm new to this thing but here it goes--it seems that the dish is Channel Masters it '39wx 30h... the last two images is a shot of the back of the dish it seems like it says 1x0.7-1 part no.# 3040865 MADE IN THE U.S.A

thank you all!! for every little or lot of help on this matter...hopefully I can learn a lot from you guys so I can start to watch shows...asap

nice dish. Its a 84e dish which were 40x30 inches. Thats the same dish I posted above

You will need a 3x4 (or 2x4) multiswitch to combine the vertical and horizontal polarity. Looks like this
sam3402_zoom.gif

The 3rd input is for an antenna

Thank you, I will try to find a schematic/manual for what I need to stick what in and how to run the wiring....do you know if there is a way to also get c-band and ku--will I hook up and additional antenna,Lbn, or mini bud to the 2x4 3x4 multiswitch..or suggest a place I can obtain the material I need to get the job done...finally should I go with the aniko, micro hd or geostat receiver??...thanks again

Thank you, I will try to find a schematic/manual for what I need to stick what in and how to run the wiring....do you know if there is a way to also get c-band and ku--will I hook up and additional antenna,Lbn, or mini bud to the 2x4 3x4 multiswitch..or suggest a place I can obtain the material I need to get the job done...finally should I go with the aniko, micro hd or geostat receiver??...thanks again
Nah give up on Cband with that dish..It is a very good performer for Ku...You can motorize that dish if you want.An sg2100 does good but over time that heavy fiberglass dish will take it toll on any motor we have here.

He may still have cable from it run inside the house, I wonder if it would still be good after several years. Seems like the Primestar receiver used both cables to the receiver but i could be wrong. If he plans to use the dish where it is, i would definitely try out the existing cable, using one cable of the twin, that is. Great dishes for KU-I have 3 of them just like it, and a couple of the more round version too. No, make that 3 round, they started to multiply for awhile! One is parked on 103, one on 72 and the other one is motorized.

Status
Please reply by conversation.