Primestar H V scan question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

phpinfo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
USA
I recently setup a 1.0m Primestar with the stock LNB. I got an Eagle Aspen multiswitch and hooked it up.

On my Coolsat 6000 it is quadruple scanning the TPs. I have the skew set just where it should be and H running into the 18V on the multiswitch and V running into the 13V.

Any ideas why it would be quadruple scanning and showing dual H and V for each TP?

it shouldnt be. I have the same dish (well a 40x30) and LNB combo and mine is through a multiswitch. Scans V then H and all frequencies match up properly

What you mean by quadrupal scanning? It scans the frequencies 4 times?

it shouldnt be. I have the same dish (well a 40x30) and LNB combo and mine is through a multiswitch. Scans V then H and all frequencies match up properly

What you mean by quadrupal scanning? It scans the frequencies 4 times?

Yeah. As an example: The #1 channel for 97w on the Coolsat is Knowledge Channel, 10706V. Then the Knowledge Channel appears at #149 10707H; then again at #297 10706H. So I guess it is triple scanning.

Do you mean 11706?

Make sure the LNB LO is set to 10750 for those Primestar LNB's. I've seen sometimes if the LNB LO is set to universal it picks up some of the lower KU frequencies (11700-11750ish) twice. Once on the "low" (9750) setting and once on the "high" (10600) setting

Do you mean 11706?

Make sure the LNB LO is set to 10750 for those Primestar LNB's. I've seen sometimes if the LNB LO is set to universal it picks up some of the lower KU frequencies (11700-11750ish) twice. Once on the "low" (9750) setting and once on the "high" (10600) setting

Okay, I did have it set to universal. So I set it to single at 10750, then deleted all the TPs and did a new blind scan. That helped, but now it is double scanning instead of triple or quadruple.

So now there is a 11706V and then and 11707H. The H seem to scan one over the V such as in this example.

I have the H and V running into a multiswitch, that runs to port 4 in a diseqc, to the receiver. On the Coolsat 6k, LNB power on; Single; 10750; 22khz off; diseqc 1.0; commited 4; legacy SW off.

do all the TP's show as double?

its possible you have a bad multiswitch

Yeah, all TPs double. The V are one of from the H. I will see if I can find another switch.

Is there a way to test the switch at all?

no

Unless its a 4x4 and that LNB is hooked to the 22k side then you would

If its a 2x2,3x4,3x8 etc then you wouldnt use the 22k

Switch Test

Iceberg,

I came up with a method of testing switches at the kitchen table. I found that lnb's of different types have different amounts of free running signal levels. A C-band lnb I have puts out 70% when aimed at nothing where my Ku lnb puts out 62%. Using these readings as an ID, connect the two lnb's to a switch and use the utility menu in your reciever to toggle the switch. I see the reading jump from 70 to 62 telling me the switch is switching.

Jim

I just realized after checking Lyngsat that I am not getting any H. The H that scans is just a duplicate of V.

TantalusFld, I will see if I can test my switch that way.

Is it possible the H side of the Primestar LNB could be bad?

I suppose the H side could be bad, but more likely is a poor f-connector, tarnish or corrosion from water getting in the connector, or one side of the switch doesn't work quite right. You can even try my test with only one lnb. One side has S level, the other side is 0. Then trade the lnb to the other port and test again. If working ok results should be reversed. I'm using a lnb with separate H and V outputs too. I have a Zinwell switch controlling it and didn't work at first. Using my test procedure I finally figured out that 22k tone was accidentally on for one side and switched to un-used ports on the switch.

Jim

I hooked the 13V port on the switch to the Ku of an Eagle Aspen C/Ku LNBF. - On the Coolsat I put it on Single 10750. With LNB power on, I was getting 97% Level. With LNB 13V 97% level and with 18V 45% level.

I then hooked the 18V port on the switch to the Ku on the Eagle Aspen. - LNB power on gave a 72% level, 13V gave 75% level and 18V gave 97% level.

So it appears that the switch is okay.

I am thinking that the H on the Primestar LNB is bad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)