Primestar Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wow... I never imagined that Primestar was once analog. I was out of satellite for that period of time (it was past my C-Band parts collecting days and before rediscovering satellite via FTA :) )

The original Primestar was an 8 channel system and according to this was VCI and VCII (see K1 KU at 85W)

Later they were DCI which is why the receivers are useless

Ice, what year was that from? Look at the asterisk* it says B-Mac also.

It look's like P* used everything:)

Update! I said I would update when I found out what sat the primestar dish was pointed at. Well, we got the power on today and I did a blind scan on the dish and it was pointed at AMC 2 85W and all I got was Echostar test chan on the Horizontal feed. Think I will have to get the wife some wine coolers and get her to crawl out there and move it 2 degrees west so I can get the PBS sat at 87W.

That dish must have been up there forever but the signal from AMC 2 was really strong. Guess I'm just happy that it still works that well.:)

Update! I said I would update when I found out what sat the primestar dish was pointed at. Well, we got the power on today and I did a blind scan on the dish and it was pointed at AMC 2 85W and all I got was Echostar test chan on the Horizontal feed. Think I will have to get the wife some wine coolers and get her to crawl out there and move it 2 degrees west so I can get the PBS sat at 87W.

That dish must have been up there forever but the signal from AMC 2 was really strong. Guess I'm just happy that it still works that well.:)

cool :) It wont take much to move the dish 2 degrees :)
and those P* dishes are great for 87W

Iceberg, I went back and reread the posts here and it seems that you had said AMC 2 all along. Good one!:hatsoff:

By the way my wife says you are probably a 90 lb 15 year old computer whiz dude and copied that avatar picture out of a Wrestling magazine.:rolleyes:

By the way my wife says you are probably a 90 lb 15 year old computer whiz dude and copied that avatar picture out of a Wrestling magazine.:rolleyes:

:eek::eek: If I was nearby I'd hug your wife :)

Actually, I'm 32 (born 7/20/75) and havent been 90 pounds since, oh, I was maybe 10 :D
I'm a wee bit over that now ;)

:):):) from Mrs bubba!

By the way, since we have been in the house working, three guys have have stopped and asked if they could have the primestar dish. I think FTA is spreading!:up

Don't be so sure of that.....computer guys use the P* dishes to Tx wifi LONG distances...I saw a writeup somewhere on the danged ol internet that claimed that two of these geniuses got a WiFi signal 25 MILES between two P* dishes...:D

Hello, Stogie!
Can you do me a favor and measure a distance (if you have time, of course), between LNB and the spot on the dish reflector, that LNB is looking at?
Or, maybe, you did already?
I got one 84e for $15, had to travel 50+ miles to get it, though...
Unfortunately, plastic LNB holder is missing one side, an it's cracked all over, I think it wont survive for long. I want to replace it with "Magic Bracket" I got from eBay, but it requires some hacksaw touch and bending, because it's too long.
I tried to measure the distance between original LNB holder and the dish, I put a laser pen in the groove, where LNB neck was, and it pointed somewhere below and to the middle from top left screw (one out of four, if you look from LNB, it's left top, if you look from behind the dish, it's top right). That spot is what I think the center of offset (or close to it). Then I measured distance from that spot to the plastic holder, it was like 58.5cm. Do you have the same number?

While I think I know what you want me to do.... but I don't use a stock LNB on my 84e...I use an Invacom quad LNB. The distance IS different, but it does fine.

By 'plastic LNB holder', what do you mean? My 84e arms have an aluminum end on them that the feedhorn/LNB assembly bolts to with two 10mm head bolts.

If you have a DUAL LNB holder that is plastic, attached to a square arm, I MAY be able to help you. ;)

Take a pic and post it here of what you have before you cut anything. :)

Hello, Stogie!
Can you do me a favor and measure a distance (if you have time, of course), between LNB and the spot on the dish reflector, that LNB is looking at?
Or, maybe, you did already?
I got one 84e for $15, had to travel 50+ miles to get it, though...
Unfortunately, plastic LNB holder is missing one side, an it's cracked all over, I think it wont survive for long. I want to replace it with "Magic Bracket" I got from eBay, but it requires some hacksaw touch and bending, because it's too long.
I tried to measure the distance between original LNB holder and the dish, I put a laser pen in the groove, where LNB neck was, and it pointed somewhere below and to the middle from top left screw (one out of four, if you look from LNB, it's left top, if you look from behind the dish, it's top right). That spot is what I think the center of offset (or close to it). Then I measured distance from that spot to the plastic holder, it was like 58.5cm. Do you have the same number?

What size is the P* dish? I have a 90cm pointed at G-16 and it kicks butt. If you have a 1 meter or the rare 1.2 you really have a nice find. You can just use the vert output on the NJR lnb if your going to do G-10R Equity mux.

1.2 meter dish is rare?
Wow, I was lucky to find the one I got now!!! :D

If you have a DUAL LNB holder that is plastic, attached to a square arm, I MAY be able to help you. ;)
Thanks for your reply!
Yes, it's attached to square arm with the same dimensions as arm of Dish Network dishes, 20x45mm.

First, I tried to use it with LNBf with plastic case off:

But now I want to point it at 97w right in its center. So it would become "single" LNB holder. If you have any idea to share, please tell me, thanks in advance!

some pictures

Pictures at post #2 and #25 of this thread might give you some ideas.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/94189-retrofitting-phase-iii-ku-maybe.html

There are plenty of other good threads with LNB mounting ideas, too.
Linuxman really got into it in this thread.
Best to skip down to about post #43 where it starts showing results.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/97742-123w-129w-1-meter-primestar.html
By post #63, he was really getting dialed-in. :)

Thanks, these "conduit pipe holders" are definetely a good find, but I am afraid that with them, the distance between LNB and dish (the one I measured as 58.5cm) becomes shorter than original.
Pictures of destroyed dish LNB gave me an idea also: If I had a bad DTV LNB, which fits inside of that square arm, and has a required 120° angle, I could saw the top of it out(it's too high) and bolt "magic bracket" to the back of it.

Is this what you want? This is off of a HITS Primestar dish. If this is what you want PM me. The LNB's are 4 degrees apart, BTW.

Oh, and disregard my attack spiders. They keep prying hands off my P* equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 96
zeroing in on the problem

Thanks, these "conduit pipe holders" are definetely a good find, but I am afraid that with them, the distance between LNB and dish (the one I measured as 58.5cm) becomes shorter than original.
Sorry, I totally forgot about this solution.
Member z4cCamaro has solved your exact problem (I think).
Does this bracket idea get you back up 'n running?

Sorry, I totally forgot about this solution.
Member z4cCamaro has solved your exact problem (I think).
Thanks a lot, Anole, for linking me to z4cCamaro's pic-s, it's exactly what I need! If it will be looking good, when done, I will post a picture.
Thanks, z4cCamaro!

OK, here is it:

-----------------
I used one of these angle brackets for window cornice I took down, bent it to have 120° angle to match with original broken bracket, and cut the top to fit magic bracket LNB holder. I attached the "magic bracket" rod, also with the screw. I am getting G25 with it for now, and will try to put another LNBf for AMC3, but could not find a signal, not at all. I will start another thread for this subject.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

primestar dish need help getting on the satellite arc

Help: how to get the most channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)