problem after second reciever #2

djjsin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
Ok,

So i got my channel 4 problem fixed on the second reciever, but i have found i'm now having a new issue. So ever since my second reciever i was recieving spotty reception from my OTA. Before the second reciever i had no problems what so ever. This is happening on both my original reciever and my second reciever, which tells me its a problem with the signal.

What i find interesting though now is that when I totally unplug my second reciever from the coax cable, all reception problems on the first box go away. The second i plug the second box into the satellite coax, the spotty reception problems come back. Currently, i'm not even usuing a duplexor or anything. I have a small indoor antenna i was testing with, that is plugged into the antenna port on the back of my second reciever, and the feed from the satellite is plugged inot the satellite port. On my first reciever, the coax is just split in 2, and one is plugged into the satellite port, and one is plugged into the antenna port. this is really annoying, anyone know a fix?

jason

so i just called voom to describe my problem, and instantly the guy said it sounds like a problem with my diplexor. Thinks its a problem with the second port, and thats why it only happens when plugged into the second box. Does this sound right?

djjsin said:
On my first reciever, the coax is just split in 2, and one is plugged into the satellite port, and one is plugged into the antenna port.
That splitter must be a diplexer! And if so, how come you are using a diplexer on one box, but not on the other?
Do you know what kind of multiswitch you have there? Where do those cables go to?

i got no idea, its installed however the installers installed them. I don't follow satellite equipment to much.

but from what i can tell. Obviously there's the satellite on the roof, which i've never looked at that to see. Off it is coming 2 coaxial cables. i have no idea if the dish has multiple ports to plug into, or if its just one cable coming off the dish, then split into 2. I think the dish has multiple ports though, cause i asked the installer that installed the second reciever this weekend if instead of punching a second set of wholes in my wall, if he could just split the first cable after its inside the house, and he said no, the second cable has to plug into the dish. The original was to my front room, and the second one just added is to my bed room. when i follow the wire to where my voom box is, its got a splitter type gizmo, looks like what you'd use to split a cable line to 2 tv's. then each line is going into the voom, one on the antenna port and one on the satellite port. This was installed may 2004, and i have a feeling the installer really didn't know much about voom, (or what he was doing for that matter).

now this second box, had a small device in it that locks into the back of the voom, it came with the box, and looks like an official voom piece of equipment. It plugs into both the antenna and satellite ports, and has one plug on the outside that the coax from the voom dish plugs into. I'm assuming its the same thing as whats on the other one, but a nice voom version that has casing so it connects to the box.

In addition to the dish, you must also have an OTA antenna on the roof...
That small device on the back was a diplexer too. Did you remove it? Put it back! This should solve your problem! ;)

ya the ota is however voom installs an ota, i thought the dish was a ota/dish combo thing. but i've never looked at it.

No i haven't removed any of the diplexors from back of the recievers. Without them i am unable to plug the coax into both the antenna port and the satellite port.

Whats i'm saying about the second receiver, is the second i plug the coax into the second reciever my ota receptoin on both devices goes to crap. When i unplug the cable from the second reciever (so it has no satellite or antenna signal), the ota reception goes back to perfect with no problems.

Sounds like a wiring issue, or a problem with diplexer or multi-switch. Without knowing your configuration, hard to suggest anything. The installer should be able to trouble-shoot this.

Of course, splitting OTA signal between two STBs reduces signal by 3-5 dB on itself, but this should not cause such a dramatic change. I suspect something else is causing this. Perhaps voltage is supplied to the OTA antenna where it shouldn't, or vice versa.

ya upon more research its gotta be whatever splitter type of device is on the dish. When i unplug the diplexer from the back of the second box, and plug the wire directly into the antenna input, the ota channels come in perfectly on both tv's (obviously i have no satellite channels on the second box). When i plug the wire directly into the satellite input, then the ota channels on my first reciever start screwing up again. If i unplug the first reciever completely, i still have the same issue's on the second reciever.

My conclusion, something must be wrong on the diplexer on the satellite dish. If it was a problem with the diplexer on the ota then i would have this problem when just the ota was split into both recievers, not the satellite, which i do not have. I only have this problem when the satellite is split, not the ota. So that tells me something is happening with the satellite diplexer that is causing it to probulby take up all the bandwidth on the coax cable, so the ota signal doesn't have the required amount to create a good signal. or something.

yippy, waiting for another voom installer. joy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)