Problem Identified - Dimmer on room lights

Status
Please reply by conversation.

viewer1xyz

Original poster
Nov 20, 2004
OK - I have been ready to throw my DirecTV HD DVR - an HR-20 - into a snow bank.

I am on my second receiver/recorder, and we have had 3 service calls. All signals are strong on the HD, normal and Local channels.

We get constant freezes and drop-outs - and a weird channel swap for a few seconds. I have reported the problem here.

And, now - we found the problem. It is all caused by a dimmer in the wall that controls the overhead living room lights. When the dimmer is set to less than 100% - dimming the lights as you might expect to watch TV - it sends out some kind of RFI that kills the DirecTV receiver. It has taken us many months to find the problem. We only watch TV at night - and it has been Winter with short days.

I have replaced the cheap dimmers with $25 units - but the problem still persists. We can watch with 100% light - or 0% light, but nothing in between. The DVR is on a separate breaker from the lights.

DirecTV was NOT at fault here - and I apologize for having cursed them daily for months.

Any electronic experts out there who can recommend an RFI fix?

OK - I have been ready to throw my DirecTV HD DVR - an HR-20 - into a snow bank.

I am on my second receiver/recorder, and we have had 3 service calls. All signals are strong on the HD, normal and Local channels.

We get constant freezes and drop-outs - and a weird channel swap for a few seconds. I have reported the problem here.

And, now - we found the problem. It is all caused by a dimmer in the wall that controls the overhead living room lights. When the dimmer is set to less than 100% - dimming the lights as you might expect to watch TV - it sends out some kind of RFI that kills the DirecTV receiver. It has taken us many months to find the problem. We only watch TV at night - and it has been Winter with short days.

I have replaced the cheap dimmers with $25 units - but the problem still persists. We can watch with 100% light - or 0% light, but nothing in between. The DVR is on a separate breaker from the lights.

DirecTV was NOT at fault here - and I apologize for having cursed them daily for months.

Any electronic experts out there who can recommend an RFI fix?

Try Lutron switches, I use to have issues with dimmers as well (not with D* ) but the Lutron switches seem to have cured my issues.

Jimbo

I have been installing dimmers into home theater locations for years, and the first things that comes to my mind are: is the system (electrical) grounded properly at both ends? Type of lighting (incandesent?) Any large electromagnetic fields near the reciever?

I have Smarthome.com remote control dimmers and they do not interfere with my HR20-700. If you need dimmers that will work with your HR20 these will do the job. You can operate them manually to.

There must be some issue with the wiring. I've got my entertainment system on the same circuit as my overhead lights with dimmers and have no issues.

However, my ceiling fan will cause a brief cutout and pop from my audio receiver.

I would think that is correct or maybe the quality of the dimmer/rheostat itself.

Like I mentioned, go to the local electrical house and get some Lutron switches, I use to have audio problems with my rec, buit when I changed to better Lutron switches, trouble went away.

I also think that the ground is also a strong possibility that I would look into.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)