Problem with H&I - SES 1

Plays fine with no break-ups on a TBS6983 using EBSPro and VLC. Monitored the signal for 30 minutes and observed no loss of carrier or TS breaks. The SNR is 13.2dB and only observed a few slight .25dB variations over the 1/2 hour period.

Steady as a rock for me to now too, I think it is at its worse for me around 7-8 AM Eastern time.
I will check it tomorrow morning and report back.

Plays fine with no break-ups on a TBS6983 using EBSPro and VLC. Monitored the signal for 30 minutes and observed no loss of carrier or TS breaks. The SNR is 13.2dB and only observed a few slight .25dB variations over the 1/2 hour period.

:everybodydance:everybodydance:everybodydance

Looks like they fixed something during the day yesterday. H&I is looking very good this morning.
Big difference from yesterday for sure.
Can't wait for Rat Patrol and Combat! on Saturday morning. They were unwatchable this past weekend.
Thanks everybody for checking along the way.
:everybodydance:everybodydance:everybodydance

Reactions: KE4EST
Saturday morning Combat! Woo Hoo!

"White Rook" "White Rook" , you are coming in loud and clear over!

(You must know the show to get this one)

I got nothing this morning except 4" of heavy wet snow. ;) And it's supposed to keep coming for the next week anyway. At one time I had an idea to build an automated snow dumping system for the dish. I may have to review that idea. Next summer ;)

That would be a cool project. Put you an actuator on in place of the elevation bolt. :)

My idea is to mount a stripped down actuator motor with a vibration weight to the centerplate of the 10' dish. Using a extra limit switch and diodes, it would be configured to come on when the dish is almost at the east limit going down hill. The diodes prevent the motor from engaging when going the other way and pulling the full weight of the dish up from the horizon. This prevents the positioner from attempting too much load and blowing a fuse.

Reactions: KE4EST
Saw a great snow removal set-up in Washington state Cascade Mountains. The elevation screw had been replaced with an actuator. A 25 weight was on a curved round bar mounted to the frame. When the dish was driven to the Eastern limit and the elevation jack was extended the weight would rapidly slide down the curved rod and hit a stop plate. Retuning the dish to the West side of the arc and retracting the elevation jack would return the weight to the stored position. A few of these jolts would shake off most snow. Not too effective for icing.

I would consider installing white poly shrink wrap cover that is used to winterize boats. The stuff is very inexpensive, last several years with UV protection and there are DIY kits. Local boating centers usually have contractors available to install at customer's location.

Reactions: Magic Static
I'm worried mostly about my new to me KTI. I think the panels will fall out just by looking at them wrong.
Have not gotten around to putting the sealer on the edges of the panels yet.

Snow will not likely pop out panels as the weight is evenly distributed. Rarely have seen a dish damaged by snow accumulation, but rather by the removal process.

Run the dish to the lowest elevation angle and gently broom off the snow starting with the bottom edge and work up. No need to get down to the bare surface as a thin layer of ice or a few inches of snow will have minimal effect on the signal. Mostly about weight removal.

Reactions: fred555
Snow will not likely pop out panels as the weight is evenly distributed. Rarely have seen a dish damaged by snow accumulation, but rather by the removal process.

Run the dish to the lowest elevation angle and gently broom off the snow starting with the bottom edge and work up. No need to get down to the bare surface as a thin layer of ice or a few inches of snow will have minimal effect on the signal. Mostly about weight removal.

I use a small 8" PLASTIC shrub rake to clean my dish. Works perfectly, and can't damage the dish unless you are really trying. If you tap lightly under the middle bottom-side rim of the dish, it loosens any snow. Then, you just rake lightly across the dish to dump it all out.

Reactions: Titanium
I think the panels will fall out just by looking at them wrong
Black Zip ties. Run thru two panels and around a rib.
Snow Removal device: 12V auto fan type motor mounted to edge of dish.. Offset weight on motor shaft. (or any voltage you got available)
power it on with the dish at the lowest elevation and it should shake the snow out.

On a bright side for those in upstate NY, we are about to get H&I locally on channel 13.3 from WNYT in Albany. I noticed the guide info is already being transmitted. I guess we're going to lose the weather channel for the change.
added today per a member in that area

Hi! Yeah for the last couple of days the channel hasn’t been working. All it says is no Audio and video. So I rescanned the channel a few minutes ago, and now it works. It’s on a different channel now. It was 46.4 now it’s 10.5. I wonder why it’s on a different channel now. I wish they would have warned us.

I used to get H&I at 72% signal quality. Now recently, the signal has dropped. Now, I've also noticed that the signal will completely drop a few times. Like today, the signal will jump from 62% to 60% to 58% to 8% or 0%. This just keeps happening. No other channels on SES 1 have this problem. All other come in fine. What may be the problem?

I'm watching it right now, Signal bouncing between 81/62 and 81/52. On the other channel, signal quality is considerably lower. Right now, it's 81/45, but neither channel is dropping out. I'm using a 7.5 foot dish on this satellite. Both channels of Start TV used to have a really crappy signal, but lately, both are coming in at 95/85. Movies is considerably lower than it was earlier, but stable. Been seeing fluctuations lately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)