Problem with TV2 coax output

Wishbone

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 27, 2004
Newberg, OR
I'm trying to get a TV in my bedroom hooked up to the TV2 coax output. I have an extensive network of cable jacks in my house that I just bought. I am having a problem getting a signal. I have tried changing the setup to OTA and CATV on both the 522 and the TV with no results. I was convinced that my cable jacks had no connection between them at first, but even when I connect the TV directly to the coax TV2 output, I am getting no signal on any channel that I select. Having no problems with the composite outs at all.

On a side note, I tried to connect TV1 to my "home dist. network", (Ch 3) but no results either, though it works directly connected to the TV.

Well, first, this looks like 2 separate problems.

You're going to have to trace the house wiring to figure out what's what.

As for the TV2, you just have to make sure the channel # and CATV/OTA settings all match up - but it seems you've done that, so the next test is to try a different TV (without using the house wiring) to determine if the problem is in the 522 or the ooriginal TV.

SimpleSimon said:
Well, first, this looks like 2 separate problems.

You're going to have to trace the house wiring to figure out what's what.

As for the TV2, you just have to make sure the channel # and CATV/OTA settings all match up - but it seems you've done that, so the next test is to try a different TV (without using the house wiring) to determine if the problem is in the 522 or the ooriginal TV.

Yup. Ive had to trace cable runs before too. If you have a local rental store that will rent out equipment get a coax tone and tone tracer and make sure that the line is indeed the same line... sometimes they have to be hooked up dirrerntly to get signal... its usually simply switching a splitter.

ShadowEKU said:
Yup. Ive had to trace cable runs before too. If you have a local rental store that will rent out equipment get a coax tone and tone tracer and make sure that the line is indeed the same line... sometimes they have to be hooked up dirrerntly to get signal... its usually simply switching a splitter.
Another way to trace is to wire a resistor up to an F-connector and use a multimeter. Some people use a 9-volt battery instead of a resistor, but I'll only do that if I KNOW the cables are not hooked to any equipment.

SimpleSimon said:
Another way to trace is to wire a resistor up to an F-connector and use a multimeter. Some people use a 9-volt battery instead of a resistor, but I'll only do that if I KNOW the cables are not hooked to any equipment.

And thats exactly why i like to tone it... it will tell you if there is any load on the line as well... so you can tell if something else is hooked in.

SimpleSimon said:
...but it seems you've done that, so the next test is to try a different TV (without using the house wiring) to determine if the problem is in the 522 or the ooriginal TV.
If it is the 522, then trading it in will be a hard decision to make, as I am one of the lucky ones that have one with few problems. With my luck, I will get one of Chris Coop's old ones.. Thanks for the info.. I will try out all of your suggestions.

Wishbone said:
........ but even when I connect the TV directly to the coax TV2 output, I am getting no signal on any channel that I select
I ran into that same problem when trying to use coax output from TV2.
The TV that I was trying to connect to was an older model and the channel selection only went up into the 50 something range. When I hooked it up to a newer TV I was only able to get a picture from TV2 using the upper channels (60 and higher).

Does anyone know why the lower channel numbers don't work on older TV's and why I had to use something greater than 60 on the newer set? :confused:

new_to_hdtv said:
I ran into that same problem when trying to use coax output from TV2.
The TV that I was trying to connect to was an older model and the channel selection only went up into the 50 something range. When I hooked it up to a newer TV I was only able to get a picture from TV2 using the upper channels (60 and higher).

Does anyone know why the lower channel numbers don't work on older TV's and why I had to use something greater than 60 on the newer set? :confused:

YES! The 522 tries to emulate an Antenna UHF signal and doesnt do it right. Newer TV's can pick this up no problem. Case in point: I have a tv in my office and a tv in the bedroom that both have a coax connection to my 522 so i can watch the 522 anywhere in the house and a reciever on each tv to boot. the TV in the bedroom is an old RCA... picture is great for its age but if I try to pipe the signal strait from the 522 on the lower channels it wont pick it up at all... even with the TV in ANT mode. However if I hook my VCR up and tune the VCR to that channel it comes in clear as a bell. Go figure. In the office i have a much newer Sony that i can just tune strait to that channel and boom its there. but it is a problem with the way the 522 outputs in antenna mode.

Thanks! I have an old VCR with a bad tape mechanism, but I kept it for the tuner.. I can use that. My original idea for it was to use it in the garage, (have a coax connection there) so I can pipe the audio channels to it and ouput the audio to a radio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)