Problems adding OTA to Dish 500 - lost satellite reception

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

edjanx

Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Love this forum! I got installed this past Thursday and finally had everything set up in-doors perfectly Saturday (installer was a step above brain damaged). My main issue however was that my locals are not HE over satellite, even though the day before I called Dish and they said they would be. My next option was to install an over thew air antenna in time for the Super Bowl today. I got a 3X4 switch for the roof, and two diplexers to split out the OTA in back of each receiver.

My setup is the HD/DVR ViP722 and the HD ViP222, and each serves a second room and a third slave off of the 2nd room. My dishes are the Dish Pro with a single LNB and a Dish Plus dual LNB.

I cut both cables on the roof and added the 3X4 multi-switch. I didn't really know what to do with the line that had the ground, so I left the ground itself dead and added it to the 17V input and the non-ground line to the 13V input. I added the OTA antenna line (antenna to arrive later this week - just getting things set up), and then put the non-grounded coax on output 1 and the grounded output on 2.

Back to the house, and I have conflicts all over the place.

Here's the diagnostic output from the 222:
Sat Input 1:
Port 1 = Sat - 119, trans - OK; Device -Twin
Port 2 = Sat - 110; trans - OK; Device - Twin
Port 3 = Sat - Conn, trans - Small X; Device - Dual
Status = Reception Verified; Switch = DPP Twin w/Separator

Sat Input 2:
Port 1 = Sat - 119, trans - Large Red X; Device -Twin
Port 2 = Sat - 110; trans - Large Red X; Device - Twin
Port 3 = Sat - 61.5, trans - Small X; Device - Dual
Status = Reception Error; Switch = DPP Twin w/Separator

Here's the diagnostic output from the 722:
Sat Input 1:
Port 1 = Conn; trans - small x; Device -Twin
Port 2 = Sat - 119; trans - OK; Device - Twin
Port 3 = Sat - 61.5; trans - Small X; Device - Dual
Status = Reception Verified; Switch = DPP Twin w/Separator

Sat Input 2:
Port 1 = Sat - 119; trans - OK; Device - Feed
Port 2 = Sat - Conn; trans - Small x; Device - Feed
Status = Reception Verified; Switch = DiSEqC 21 w/Separator

Both TV's have problems pulling signal, especially if both tuners are in use. Any advice that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Is it as simple as using something other than a 3X4 multi-switch? What about the ground (if that what it actually is) connection?

Thanks!
Janx

Those 3*4 switches wont work with any dish pro lnb's. Also that switch will only work if you are using a Leagcy lnb and seeing only one satellite. The dish 500 see's 2 110 and 119 west.

Get a 2 way splitter. Split the ota signal on the roof and using two additional diplexors on the roof diplex the 2 outputs of the splitter into your satellite lines.

Dodge, you are a savior! I was thinking along the same lines, but I was confused about the OTA signal. If I sent that one coax into a splitter, then run an OTA line into each diplexer to combine with the satellite, I should be in business! Off to radio shack, I'll let everone know the results when I return.

From good to worse?

Originally, I thought it didn't work, but I reversed a satellite and air feed at the back of the 722 messing with the on air scan. Now I just need my real antenna to arrive this week (a DB8 from antennasdirect.com if there are any opinions, please share!), and plug it in since the rabbit ears I have plunged in on the roof temporarily doesn't pull in a darn thing! Thanks again Dodge, you're a good dude!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)