Problems sending back bad HD receiver!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rlongwell

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Can anyone help me???

I recently had a problem with a Directv HD receiver for which they sent me a replacement with no problem (I pay the extra charge per month for h/w coverage). However, we could not find the mailing label to send back the faulty receiver to DTV that should have been in the box. I contacted DTV and they said they would process another "return it" box and label, I should have it within 3-5 business days. Nothing came. I called them again, same response, we'll send another kit.

I have now been doing this since the last few days of November, and still no
mailing label. Their paperwork says if I don't return it within a certain time they will charge me for failing to send back the defective receiver.

Well guess what? Two days ago I logged into my account and lo and behold a charge for $230 plus has been made against my credit card. I called at that time and angrily told whomever responded, and he says in 2 more days (the end of the day today) I will have it. It's now late in the day, and I don't hold much hope for getting it.

WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO, THREATEN TO CANCEL DTV SERVICE IF IT DOESN'T COME TODAY?? WHAT IF THAT FAILS?

Richard L.

I recently added a standard DVR and a HD DVR and want to send back the 2 standard receivers. D* said they would send me a "recovery kit" and I'm still waiting for it. They better not try and charge me for the standard boxes because they're the one dropping the ball and not sending me the stuff.

I thought that the return label was already inside the Packing Slip, you just turn it over, from what I remember.

It's been awhile since I returned one, but my label has always been right there.
There should also be a page inside explaining what to do with it.

I recently added a standard DVR and a HD DVR and want to send back the 2 standard receivers.
We all need to be careful not to use the terms "add", "upgrade" and "swap" interchangeably. If you were really adding receivers as you say, they wouldn't be expecting the old ones back.
They better not try and charge me for the standard boxes because they're the one dropping the ball and not sending me the stuff.
The Billing Department never drops the ball.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS keep a record of the tracking information for at least six months after you return a receiver. If you don't, you have no proof that DIRECTV received it and the battle will be much more difficult.

We all need to be careful not to use the terms "add", "upgrade" and "swap" interchangeably. If you were really adding receivers as you say, they wouldn't be expecting the old ones back.The Billing Department never drops the ball.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS keep a record of the tracking information for at least six months after you return a receiver. If you don't, you have no proof that DIRECTV received it and the battle will be much more difficult.

Normally I would drop my recvr off at the local FedEx and would be given a slip stating so and a tracking number if I request it.

Normally I would drop my recvr off at the local FedEx and would be given a slip stating so and a tracking number if I request it.

The return kits all have tracking numbers on them.

It seems to me that DirecTv drops the ball when it is convenient (and profitable) for them to do so.

Seems to me that they may have in this particular instance.
I have sent them back without any issues.

IF I were the OP, I would give them a call, then contact Fed Ex and see if they have labels that they can print up seeing all D* stuff goes back thru them.

If you log into your account and look in the My Orders. The options are "View All Orders", Pending and Completed (last 3 months). One of these options should show if they have acted or not.
I had to call to get the Recovery Kit. Can't remember details but seemed like the tracking number was listed. Any case you call tell if they've acted on your request to send the recovery box. If it is, you might confirm they have your correct address. Fedex ended up giving my box to a neighbor who actually delivered it.

I returned a defective receiver last month. Inside the recovery kit box there was a pre-paid FedEx return label, which also includes a stub you can remove for your records. The tracking number isn't on the stub though -- just the receiver ID and model number -- but there's plenty of room for you to write it down. There was also a piece of tape to reseal the box, as well as a sheet with instructions.

It took three weeks for my recovery kit to arrive when I upgraded a standard dvr to an hd dvr.

As long as you get the NEW box activated, why worry how long it took to get the return box, as long as they are not trying to charge you for it.
Many of the older boxes won't be used anymore anyways.

As long as you get the NEW box activated, why worry how long it took to get the return box, as long as they are not trying to charge you for it.

I didn't say that I was worried. I just wanted to point out that D* doesn't necessarily ship recovery kits quickly.

Which?????????????

So which older boxes will not be used anymore? When do you think that time frame will come?

So which older boxes will not be used anymore? When do you think that time frame will come?

Anything SD will generally not be used anymore into the future, although they may keep one line active .... they sent friends of mine H recvrs for the last year or so and they have NO HD TV's in the home or any plans to be getting any.

IN 5 YEARS OR SO....MAYBE

Anything SD will generally not be used anymore into the future, although they may keep one line active .... they sent friends of mine H recvrs for the last year or so and they have NO HD TV's in the home or any plans to be getting any.
I think that will be at least 5 years from now, think of the millions of sd receivers still out there, that takes time and money to have to swap out that many receivers. Plus if they get swapped out look at the millions of dollars of equipment dtv will have to dish out to replace those receivers. Takes time and money.

I think that will be at least 5 years from now, think of the millions of sd receivers still out there, that takes time and money to have to swap out that many receivers. Plus if they get swapped out look at the millions of dollars of equipment dtv will have to dish out to replace those receivers. Takes time and money.

Yes it will happen over time ....
Also, they ARE still giving out SD recvrs, I think it depends also on what they have in the warehouse.

Status
Please reply by conversation.