Problems With CBS-HD On 148?

NightRyder

1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
NW Oregon
Has anyone else noticed problems with CBS-HD West? For the last couple of weeks I have been experiencing intermittent pixilation , audio dropouts and 2 green lines that occasionally flash at the top of the screen. I am going to report this to E* but need to know if it's widespread or not. Thanks

NightRyder

I lost 148 on april 2 and dont have it back yet. it worked fine the beginning of last week because i had a new 811 activated and the p285 system info screen had three green boxes under 110 119 and 148
now i have two green and one red under 148
when i click on the detail messages it says i have experienced two or three losses of signals on april second.
i get channel 2 on the antenna so its not hurting me too much but there must be other channels i am missing.
where is that post of what channels are on 148?

richmert said:
I lost 148 on april 2 and dont have it back yet. it worked fine the beginning of last week because i had a new 811 activated and the p285 system info screen had three green boxes under 110 119 and 148
now i have two green and one red under 148
when i click on the detail messages it says i have experienced two or three losses of signals on april second.
i get channel 2 on the antenna so its not hurting me too much but there must be other channels i am missing.
where is that post of what channels are on 148?

Here is the channel chart for 61.5 and 148

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/143

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Has anyone else noticed problems with CBS-HD West? For the last couple of weeks I have been experiencing intermittent pixilation , audio dropouts and 2 green lines that occasionally flash at the top of the screen. I am going to report this to E* but need to know if it's widespread or not. Thanks

PS - I have also sent an email to dish quality

NightRyder
Yes, I've experienced the audio dropout, pixilation, and the horz. green bar that flashes near the top of the screen. Man, I thought it was my equipment!

boy921 said:
Yes, I've experienced the audio dropout, pixilation, and the horz. green bar that flashes near the top of the screen. Man, I thought it was my equipment!

Same here, I thought my 811 was dying. I was watching the N.C. vs. Michigan game on Saturday and it really started to get on my nerves. I've always gotten good response from the Dish quality people, we should hear back from them by fairly soon.

NightRyder

thanks for the link. thats enough channels for me to say something. i was going to call but i will try to write to the address you provided first.
whenever i am up in the HD area and scrool back i see that holistic channel and am wondering what it is all about. i have never seen it because it says the satellite lost the signal every time i try.

A question, how long are you guys watching CBS-HD West to see these problems? I watched it a bit tonight, and I haven't seen any issues on my 921. Could it be an 811 specific issue?

DishBacker said:
A question, how long are you guys watching CBS-HD West to see these problems? I watched it a bit tonight, and I haven't seen any issues on my 921. Could it be an 811 specific issue?
I've noticed it since the first of 2005 maybe back to early December 2004. The green snap/flash horz. bar is so brief that I can't see it on both my 921's when I frame x frame forward or backwards. It does reappear when replaying. The audio dropouts with pixilation are becoming noticeable more frequent within the last month. I also have the problems with my 6000. The 6000 is on a seperate dish setup. None of the problems are seen on 148's HBOSD or SHOHD.

Here is my response from Dish.

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in the DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

Initially, we were not able to verify the problem you reported with CBSHD Ch. 9484. Further monitoring this morning was able to verify the issue you are reporting. We viewed the issue once in a half-hour, which seems to match the description of the problem you (as well as other customers) reported. The Quality Assurance Department has forwarded this issue to our Compression and Locals Engineering groups to further troubleshoot the issue. If the problem is still happening after a couple of days, please email us back and we will continue to troubleshoot. The Quality Assurance Department will also monitor CBSHD to verify the problem is has been resolved.

At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.

EchoStar Satellite LLC

NightRyder
Quality Assurance Department

dishquality@echostar.com

i think i just got a form response because mine didnt even have my name in it. i told them i wasnt even receiving anything from 148 since last week and they sent me back this. maybe i should try to call or something.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the quality of the Dish Network.
We have received your email and will be looking into the concerns you have identified. Your comments are important to us. Through our own cutting edge technology and your feedback, we will continue to improve the already superior quality of our service.
This email address is primarily for service quality issues to aid the Quality Assurance Team in the continuing effort of providing our customers with the best possible picture and sound. While each comment is reviewed, due to the amount of email that is directed to our mailbox, we can not respond to each individually.
To better serve you, we also have the following electronic mail resources that can be utilized:
Customer Service, billing and programming issues can be addressed to feedback@echostar.com Charlie Chat Questions or comments can be addressed to charliechat@echostar.com Our World Wide Web site contains a large amount of information that may also assist you in getting your questions answered. Our web site is located on the internet at <http://www.dishnetwork.com/>.
Again, thank you for the feedback.

Sincerely,
Dish Network Quality Assurance Team

richmert said:
i think i just got a form response because mine didnt even have my name in it. i told them i wasnt even receiving anything from 148 since last week and they sent me back this. maybe i should try to call or something.

richmert: In your case I would call Dish Technical Support. It sounds as if you may have a LNB, switch or cable problem. Good luck.

NightRyder

Thought I would give everyone an update. Received this from E* today.

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you very much for your follow-up. After your last email, we were notified that the provider was working on the issue. We monitored the channel and did not see the issue and believed it was corrected. After receiving your email Monday the QA team verified the issues again on Channel 9484, and notified our Locals Engineering team about the ongoing issue. Our Locals Engineering team again worked with the provider and they believed the issue had been corrected again. We monitored the channel earlier today and verified the problem is still present. Please bear with us, as we will continue trying to resolve this issue.

Thank you once again for your patience, and for being a valued DISH Network customer.

EchoStar Satellite LLC

Quality Assurance Department

dishquality@echostar.com

NightRyder

sounds like nobody knows what they are doing huh? everyone just wants the issue off of their desk. at least it sounds like somebody is watching the signal for more than 10 seconds after they tweak it finally.

oh and thanks for the tip earlier NightRyder. i finally called dish about not receiving 148 for the last couple of weeks and they said it appeared i was receiving some kind of signal and all i needed to do was go up on the roof and wiggle the dish around a little bit.

well the 148 dish was the one i didnt install so i was a little hesitant but i got a six pack and a marker and a wrench and headed up on the roof and finally got 148 back. since someone else installed it i never even thought to check the signal strength until it was gone but the best i could get was between 50 and 60. that doesnt sound good but it is enough to get the channels.

is anyone else in southern california getting better reception on 148 than 50 or 60? i wonder if i will need to boost that signal somehow if they load that satellite up with more HD channels? could signal strength be the reason that my OTA CBS looks better than the DISH CBS on 9484?

richmert said:
sounds like nobody knows what they are doing huh? everyone just wants the issue off of their desk. at least it sounds like somebody is watching the signal for more than 10 seconds after they tweak it finally.

oh and thanks for the tip earlier NightRyder. i finally called dish about not receiving 148 for the last couple of weeks and they said it appeared i was receiving some kind of signal and all i needed to do was go up on the roof and wiggle the dish around a little bit.

well the 148 dish was the one i didnt install so i was a little hesitant but i got a six pack and a marker and a wrench and headed up on the roof and finally got 148 back. since someone else installed it i never even thought to check the signal strength until it was gone but the best i could get was between 50 and 60. that doesnt sound good but it is enough to get the channels.

is anyone else in southern california getting better reception on 148 than 50 or 60? i wonder if i will need to boost that signal somehow if they load that satellite up with more HD channels? could signal strength be the reason that my OTA CBS looks better than the DISH CBS on 9484?

Glad you got your 148 working again richmert. I'm in NW Oregon and I am getting between 75 to 80 signal strength on 148 TP 13 (on an 811 receiver). If you decide to brave adjusting it again, take a level and make sure your 148 mast is plumb. A signal strength between 50 and 60 is pretty low.

To answer another part of your question, satellite signal strength does not effect PQ, digital, either it works or it doesn't. A higher signal strength does guard against rain fade though.

NightRyder

dfergie said:
Dont forget the six pack... :)

actually i never got to finish the six pack because i expected the tone on the receiver to get higher as i got a better signal but evidently the tone doesnt change until it gets higher than 50 or 60. so i had to keep going up and down the ladder until i had the highest signal. i thought i could just sit on the roof drinking beer and moving the dish around until i heard the highest tone possible but it didnt work like that.

if 50 or 60 is ok then i only have one more question. why is the low signal subject to rain fade? is it the vibration of the dish or something? and why isnt a higher signal subject to rain fade?

richmert said:
actually i never got to finish the six pack because i expected the tone on the receiver to get higher as i got a better signal but evidently the tone doesnt change until it gets higher than 50 or 60. so i had to keep going up and down the ladder until i had the highest signal. i thought i could just sit on the roof drinking beer and moving the dish around until i heard the highest tone possible but it didnt work like that.

if 50 or 60 is ok then i only have one more question. why is the low signal subject to rain fade? is it the vibration of the dish or something? and why isnt a higher signal subject to rain fade?
Something doesn't sound right here. I live in Northern Cal, Santa Rosa, and get a signal of 85 on 148 TP12. I think you should get that much or better from southern Cal. (unless you are living under a heavy blanket of smog)
For rain fade, it isn't the rain hitting the dish, it is the rain in the cloud passing through the signal path between the satellite and the dish. I always know when it is going to really rain hard as the signal goes away a minute or two before the rain hits.

BTW, Each receiver may read the signal a little different or the cables from your dish or switch may be of better or worse quality.
For example, my 301 in the garage reads 90 on 148 tp 12, but my 501 in the front bedroom reads 83 and the 811 in my family room reads 80.
When I peak my dish(s) I bring my 301 and a small tv outside so I can see directly what happens when I tweak the dish up or down and left or right.
(Instant gratification :) but I am on a one story house with the dish mounted on the eave.) You might benefit from a meter that can be inserted in the cable line between the dish and the receiver while doing the tweaking. Or a willing assistant or pair of binoculars.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)