problems with genie hr34

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
I called directv about my problems with the hr34 today. They told me it is normal to take 10 seconds to respond to remote or change channels is this correct?

I have before and it helped for a little bit then back to slow again. How can I fix this since directv says there isn't a problem?

what model # of your remote ?
using in RF or IR mode ?

good luck

so it was like this since Oct.. ? if so you might have a defect.
my hr44 is really fast compared to the hr20-23

Last edited:
Give us some exact timings.
Select the guide. Select a new channel. How long to change?
While watching TV (no graphics) enter a new channel number, be sure to use the enter key after the last number otherwise the DVR is waiting to see if you input another number, how long before the new channel is tuned?

There's times it doesn't even recognize I'm typing in a number til I type the number in again one or two more times.

That sounds like you are getting IR interference, I suspect you have a non-LED LCD TV and the backlight is interfering with the IR signal from the remote.
Switch the HR34 and remote to RF and see if that solves the problem.

Batteries aren't low. Do have LCD tv but old universal remote That doesn't have rf switch or option on it.

Last edited:
I've also been experiencing this on my HR-34. Seemed to start happening with the latest software update. Check when you got that pushed to your DVR and I suspect it will coincide with when the problems began.

Things you can do to overcome IR interference:
1. Lower the backlight level
2. Put a piece of blue painters tape over the IR sensor of the HR34
3. Buy an RF-capable remote from DirecTV (best solution). What model remote do you have??

10 seconds is not normal. Ignoring key inputs is not normal. Nothing to do with the software update.

If your HR34 is connected to the internet, disconnect it and see if the problem goes away. Some people have reported router problems where the router sends continuous messages to the HR34 and so slows it down dramatically.

This is what many HR34s are like. People who have normal HR34 units always comment and say that it's not normal, but it is for many of us. It is very common for my remote to take 10 to 20 seconds to change channels.

This is what many HR34s are like. People who have normal HR34 units always comment and say that it's not normal, but it is for many of us. It is very common for my remote to take 10 to 20 seconds to change channels.

that's messed up. my hr20 & 23 RF took/take 3-4 sec the hr44 IR 2-3 sec

It's doing it on my genie mini too. Wish directv would fix it. They told me sorry not as fast as comcast changing channels but basically to put up with it

Simple test for IR interference:
1. Take a sheet of white paper (printer paper) or an empty envelope (if your using paper, fold it in half)
2. Stand the paper or envelope in front of the receivers IR sensor (It's on the left front of the receiver usually just to the right of the power button)
3. Use your remote. If it all of a sudden works better... you have IR interference. The paper is acting as a filter which stops the interference.
What causes IR interference: Usually the TV's automatic brightness and contrast adjustment.
How can I fix it without making my receiver look all icky? Get some Scotch Magic Tape. Put 2 pieces over the IR sensor (one on top of the other) the tape will act as a filter, and Scotch magic tape is virtually invisible when you put it on something.

There's always a reason for these things. IR interference is a common cause for this, because it can overload the IR system and cause the delays. I haven't seen anyone with these sort of these delays who was using RF, and disonnected from the internet.

So are you using RF?

It's doing it on my genie mini too. Wish directv would fix it. They told me sorry not as fast as comcast changing channels but basically to put up with it
When you carry out an action on the mini, it's actually happening at the genie, so it will always be slower.

I am using the remote the installer gave me. The grey universal remote. Also lately I lose sound on the mini when changing channels sometimes. Have to switch channels and back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts