Problems with OTA Signal - Weird

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
I am 13 miles from the towers, using a Winegard Sqaure Shooter non powered (had tried powered).

I get most of my locals...100+ signal..But one or two that are located at the same location as those I get in at 100+ waiver back and forth from 0 to 90 then 60 then 90. The signal is all over the place and never locks in. When I do get picture it pixelates.

What would cause this to happen and does anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

It is a multi-path problem and your receiver isn't handling it well. What receiver are you using?

Have you tried re-aiming your antenna a few degrees left or right? You don't need 100+ to receive DTV, mid-70s is good enough to recieve the signal during all but a hurricane.

You could experiment with a Silver Sensor before replacing your receiver, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high that this will solve your problem.

I have a Dish 811 that is about average as an OTA ATSC tuner. From what I've read on these forums, the 921 may be even less capable.

Try the minor re-aiming of your antenna first. If that doesn't work, try a Silver Sensor.

Since you likely don't intend to change receivers at this time, the only options are antenna adjustment or antenna replacement. What you need is a "more directional" antenna, which can be judged by the antenna's beamwidth.

Your SharpShooter has an average beamwidth of 60 degrees. What you need is half that. Bay / bow-tie antennas generally have a narrower beamwidth. I use a Winegard PR-8800 in my attic, but it is probably too high a gain for your situation. You might look at the DB2 from AntennasDirect. They don't post specs, but it is a popular indoor bay antenna.

However, I'd first try adjusting the antenna you have. I can't reiterate enough that it is more important to lock all of you available channels at 75-80, than to lock most at 100+ and not lock others at all. OTA DTV signals aren't as weather sensitive as are DBS signals. You don't need 100+ signal strength to have reliable OTA DTV. Experiment!

I switched from Voom to Dish a week ago and am experiencing problems with OTA reception. I've gone from 95% signal strength with Voom to 75% on most local signals with Dish; CBS has dropped to 60%; and PBS doesn't make it all (my 811 receiver doesn't even scan it).

I live no more than 3.7 miles from most OTA transmitters, and 1.7 miles from some. I live in a neighborhood of 1-story homes.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

nystrand said:
I switched from Voom to Dish a week ago and am experiencing problems with OTA reception. I've gone from 95% signal strength with Voom to 75% on most local signals with Dish; CBS has dropped to 60%; and PBS doesn't make it all (my 811 receiver doesn't even scan it).

I live no more than 3.7 miles from most OTA transmitters, and 1.7 miles from some. I live in a neighborhood of 1-story homes.

Suggestions?

I'm in the same situation as far as proximity to the OTA transmitters. I'm within 3.4 miles to my OTA transmitters. Without knowing all of the details to your system it’s hard to know exactly your problem. I'm guessing is that the OTA signal strength is overloading the receiver. The Voom STB was very good at handling problems such as overloading and multipath reception.

One thing to try temporally is to disconnect the OTA for the back of the receiver and take a 14” piece of telephone wire and plug it in the OTA “F” connector. Be sure to remove about and half inch of insulation from one end of the wire and use that end to connect to the receiver. You should get all of the stations broadcasting from the transmitters that are within 4-5 miles.

I’m sure there will be people that will tell you that it won’t work, but I have been an electronics technician for more than 30 years and it will work. You may PM me if you are unsure how do what is described above.

Good luck!

nystrand said:

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Yes I am definitely seeing a much lower signal with the Dish 921 then I did with the VOOM box.

efbrune said:
I'm in the same situation as far as proximity to the OTA transmitters. I'm within 3.4 miles to my OTA transmitters. Without knowing all of the details to your system it’s hard to know exactly your problem. I'm guessing is that the OTA signal strength is overloading the receiver. The Voom STB was very good at handling problems such as overloading and multipath reception.

One thing to try temporally is to disconnect the OTA for the back of the receiver and take a 14” piece of telephone wire and plug it in the OTA “F” connector. Be sure to remove about and half inch of insulation from one end of the wire and use that end to connect to the receiver. You should get all of the stations broadcasting from the transmitters that are within 4-5 miles.

I’m sure there will be people that will tell you that it won’t work, but I have been an electronics technician for more than 30 years and it will work. You may PM me if you are unsure how do what is described above.

Good luck!
Home made UHF loop...

Re: Efbrune’s recommendation of telephone wire and Kevinw’s rec of UHF loop

If I substitute a telephone wire or UHF loop for the OTA coax from my roof antenna, will my Dish 811 receiver still be able to manage both satellite and OTA signals?

Can I use my Voom box for OTA signals and the 811 for satellite reception? And if so, is there an inexpensive way to attach 2 DVI cables (from the receivers) to the 1 DVI port on my Samsung DLP? (Actually, since I also have a Bravo D2 DVD player, I would have 3 DVI output devices (811, Voom box, Bravo D2–how to manage?)

Thanks.

nystrand said:
If I substitute a telephone wire or UHF loop for the OTA coax from my roof antenna, will my Dish 811 receiver still be able to manage both satellite and OTA signals?
Yes.

nystrand said:
Can I use my Voom box for OTA signals and the 811 for satellite reception?
Yes.

nystrand said:
And if so, is there an inexpensive way to attach 2 DVI cables (from the receivers) to the 1 DVI port on my Samsung DLP? (Actually, since I also have a Bravo D2 DVD player, I would have 3 DVI output devices (811, Voom box, Bravo D2–how to manage?)
If it was me I would use the component connections for the second and third devices.

Good Luck!

My OTA reception problems (problems with Dish but not previously with Voom; weak to nonexistent signals; within 3.7 miles of transmitters) are solved. The installer returned and reconnected the OTA antenna previously used when I had DirecTv (before I switched to Voom). The old DirecTv antenna works like a charm.

Unfortunately I don't know the specs on the antenna. The OTA antenna Voom used was a flat, tongue-like gismo attached to the Voom dish. The old DirecTv antenna that now works looks like a regular TV roof antenna.

My only problem now is that I have 3 dishes and 2 OTA antennas on my roof.

Thanks all for the advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)