problems with RCA DRD receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Digital Logic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Norwalk, CA
Has anyone been losing channels on their RCA DRD series receivers lately? I've had to reauthorize & reset one receiver in my house 3 times in the last 2 weeks, twice this past weekend.

Is it time to bite the bullet & upgrade to a D12?

WHICH?

which DRD model are you having issues with? I used to have a 430rg some time last year that drove me crazy and had to reset it all the time cause it would lose channels every now and then, Resetting it fixed the issue for a while then had to redo it again and again as time went by. I finally replaced it. Is that the same issue you're having with yours?

I'm still using a RCA DRD503RBC and a DRD222RD with no problems.

I used to have all RCA equipment back in the day, these two are the "survivors".

Has anyone been losing channels on their RCA DRD series receivers lately? I've had to reauthorize & reset one receiver in my house 3 times in the last 2 weeks, twice this past weekend.

Is it time to bite the bullet & upgrade to a D12?

It sounds like the receiver is starting to go. If Directv will replace it as defective, there should be no commitment involved.

enough is enough...

so after a few more times of reauthorizing & getting a few phone calls from the wife about the son's box (the DRD485RG), i've had enough. I decided to call in to see what can be done.

I got to talk to a few nice phone rep's (montana & idaho) for equipment offers, but the best they can do for me is offer a free DVR or HD DVR and a year's paid DVR service. I tried to ask about maybe replacing the DRD with an HD receiver and i was told that they have a shortage and even if they could offer it, i'd still have to pay $99 for it. in any scenario, if i were to get any new equipment from them or thru retail, i'd be re-entered in a 2 year contract.

Now, i've been able to do away with a DVR all these years and if i missed a show, i've always been able to get to a PC and watch it there. do i suck it up and take the free offer on a HD DVR? or do I go to a local best buy and pay for an HD receiver?

I can order you a hd receiver but it going to be 99 dollars. Under no circumstances are we to credit a single dollar off of a standard hd box due to the shortage.

P.S. Bestbuy no longer sells recievers.

Ok bayoubrut yes you do might need to upgrade that RCA Standard Receiver to a DIRECTV HD Receiver anyway but you will also have to pay for a 2-year contract through DIRECTV because they do want you as a customer so you can get the Whole-Home DVR Service that allows you to watch one show while you finish watching it in the bedroom.

Ok bayoubrut yes you do might need to upgrade that RCA Standard Receiver to a DIRECTV HD Receiver anyway but you will also have to pay for a 2-year contract through DIRECTV because they do want you as a customer so you can get the Whole-Home DVR Service that allows you to watch one show while you finish watching it in the bedroom.
Oook, then. Its called Multi-room Viewing. It allows the other HD receivers to watch recorded programs on the HD-DVR.

so after a few more times of reauthorizing & getting a few phone calls from the wife about the son's box (the DRD485RG), i've had enough. I decided to call in to see what can be done.

I got to talk to a few nice phone rep's (montana & idaho) for equipment offers, but the best they can do for me is offer a free DVR or HD DVR and a year's paid DVR service. I tried to ask about maybe replacing the DRD with an HD receiver and i was told that they have a shortage and even if they could offer it, i'd still have to pay $99 for it. in any scenario, if i were to get any new equipment from them or thru retail, i'd be re-entered in a 2 year contract.

Now, i've been able to do away with a DVR all these years and if i missed a show, i've always been able to get to a PC and watch it there. do i suck it up and take the free offer on a HD DVR? or do I go to a local best buy and pay for an HD receiver?

I forgot about how old your RCA box is. I assume you own it, which means if they exchange it as defective, there would be a commitment involved. Sorry for the confusion.

Do you have the protection plan? I've had 3 "bad" RCA receivers swapped out for free for a D10, a D11, and got an H23 for a bad RCA HD DTC210. :) with no commitment

Do you have the protection plan? I've had 3 "bad" RCA receivers swapped out for free for a D10, a D11, and got an H23 for a bad RCA HD DTC210. :) with no commitment

The protection plan has NOTHING to do with getting equipment exchanged without a commitment! NOTHING! The only thing the plan does regarding receivers/dvrs is to get you free shipping. That's it!

The protection plan has NOTHING to do with getting equipment exchanged without a commitment! NOTHING! The only thing the plan does regarding receivers/dvrs is to get you free shipping. That's it!

All the times I've gotten broken "owned" receivers replaced, I don't recall anything about a commitment, maybe stonecold can chime in here about that?

WELL

Well if you don't want to upgrade the receiver and don't want to pay as much you should just find a owned receiver on ebay. I've done that before, you can still find D10's on there that are owned or other receivers. Just make sure you ask for the receiver Id number and verify with Directv that they're owned and clear to be activated on your account.

All the times I've gotten broken "owned" receivers replaced, I don't recall anything about a commitment, maybe stonecold can chime in here about that?

Perhaps you weren't aware of a renewed commitment, since Directv is notorious for not telling the customer, or perhaps it was several years ago before they changed their policy.

Well if you don't want to upgrade the receiver and don't want to pay as much you should just find a owned receiver on ebay. I've done that before, you can still find D10's on there that are owned or other receivers. Just make sure you ask for the receiver Id number and verify with Directv that they're owned and clear to be activated on your account.

thats a great idea. i'll look into going that route if its feasible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)