question about direct cinema plus

Status
Please reply by conversation.

4tide1

Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
I have a hr24 dvr in living room and h24 in bedroom. I have whole home connected. In my living room I have a 5 port Ethernet switch hooked up to my router. My question is can I not go from the switch to my Hr24 and not have the direct cinema hooked up. Direct tv says that to hook this up I need to have a technician do it for me. I talked to a guy that works for direct and he said that all I needed to do was the connection I mentioned above then do the setup on the dvr menu and I would be good. What Am I not understanding about this as to why someone must come and do this for me?

you can hook up the ethernet cable to the HR24 and get VOD/Direct Cinema. Once you hook it up go into the menu and check "network" and test the connection to make sure the HR24 is connected to the internet

Thanks for the reply. By doing this it will not affect my whole home setup correct? I will still be able to record in either room and watch in different room?

I assume so. I dont have MRV so I dont know for sure but I'm sure there are folks with MRV and the internet hooked up for Directv Cinema and VOD

No if you connect an Ethernet cord to the back of your HR24 it WILL disable the MRV feature. You must either use the unsupported setup or the Broadband DECA setup that Directv uses. I don't really know anything about the unsupported method, try searching for it on here. The DECA setup a tech comes out and installs a DECA to your router to get internet to your receivers.

I have a hr24 dvr in living room and h24 in bedroom. I have whole home connected. In my living room I have a 5 port Ethernet switch hooked up to my router. My question is can I not go from the switch to my Hr24 and not have the direct cinema hooked up. Direct tv says that to hook this up I need to have a technician do it for me. I talked to a guy that works for direct and he said that all I needed to do was the connection I mentioned above then do the setup on the dvr menu and I would be good. What Am I not understanding about this as to why someone must come and do this for me?

As stated in another post you can either do the paid, DirecTV installed and supported DECA method OR you can connect it yourself via ethernet AND call or email to have MRV activated (I use this method). You can't do both. I do not use a HR24 so be sure to double check these statements with a user than does ethernet only with HR24

If you connect both receivers to your switch they should be able to access CinemaPlus and still have MRV access, just through your ethernet cables instead of the coax cable. You may have to reboot both receivers after connecting it this way so they properly disable the internal DECAs and use the ethernet port. This method is not supported by DirecTV, meaning if you have any issues and call in they wont be able to help you, but it should work. Since it sounds like you already have Whole-Home service you wouldnt need to call in or make any changes to your account.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)