problems with the HR34(genie) with hr21 and two h23

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

craigp

Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
nebraska
I recently upgraded to the Genie and kept my old HR21 dvr and the the two H23 HD boxes. Every few days I lose all my pictures and get message 775 which is problems commiciating with sat. When I call customer service they have me unplug the power inserter and reset all the boxes. This is getting very old and they dont seem to know what the problem is. Currently dont have anything and they are telling a week before a service person can come to my home. Can anyone help me? Thanks

Is this on the HR34/Genie or the other receivers? (or all of them)

I have been having the same thing lately on my HR34 but I know mine is probably due to the crappy setup the apartment complex has for wiring/switches

when I add up everything tuner wise I get 9 tuners

I assume they installed a SWM16? Which would be setup this way
4 lines from LNB to switch
one cable from SWM1 to the HR34/Genie
one cable from SWM2 to a 4 way splitter and the 3 receivers hooked up

Thanks, I know they put in the SWM, but not sure that they have it setup like that, I will have to look at it tonight.

SWM16 is a rather large box.
Also if you can see the wiring from the dish to inside the house if there is only one cable then it isnt done right and the excess tuner amount is screwing up the receivers

I know the SWM16 is outside of the house, but I think they have just one line going from it to a 4-way splitter, I have to look at it again to be sure of that. I do have 4 lines going into the house. Also the power inserter is installed on the HR21. would that make a difference?

Yes, each SWM16 output only handles 8 tuners, they did it wrong if all 9 tuners are running off one output from SWM16.

Call and have them come fix it, or you could move one receiver from the 4 splitter to the second SWM output, and move the terminator from the second output to the empty place on the splitter if you want to try fixing it yourself.

They do have two outputs coming out of the SWM16, one going to the HR21 with the HR34 coming off the splitter. Should the HR34 be on an output by itself?

This time, I think I have to disagree with Ice. (no offense bud!)
If the SWM 16 was hooked up wrong, you'd be losing 1 or possibly 2 tuners, not all of them. You'd also be getting a different error message "771B" or whatever the new number is.
The fact that you have to reset the SWM by unplugging the Power Inserter to get everything working again usually indicates one of the following problems..
1. Electrical - If the power Inserter is plugged into a power strip, try plugging it directly into the wall outlet. Power strips are notorious for causing voltage drops which the power inserter is really sensitive to.
2. Cabling/Connectors - You could have water penetrating into the cabling somewhere, which grounds out the signal from the dish (and the power to it), resetting the SWM after the water "disperses" can usually get it started again.
3. SWM or Splitter going bad - Intermittent loss due to a failing part.. if this is the case, then cross your fingers that the Tech gets there before it dies completely.
#'s 2 and 3 are the reason that the troubleshooting scripts for 771A/775 say to send a Tech even if resetting the SWM gets it working.. because even tho it's working now, it IS going to go out again, and will eventually die out completely.

Thanks for your help, now all I have to do is get a tech out here! They must be having lots of problems, no one available for a week!!

This time, I think I have to disagree with Ice. (no offense bud!)
If the SWM 16 was hooked up wrong, you'd be losing 1 or possibly 2 tuners, not all of them. You'd also be getting a different error message "771B" or whatever the new number is.
The fact that you have to reset the SWM by unplugging the Power Inserter to get everything working again usually indicates one of the following problems..
1. Electrical - If the power Inserter is plugged into a power strip, try plugging it directly into the wall outlet. Power strips are notorious for causing voltage drops which the power inserter is really sensitive to.
2. Cabling/Connectors - You could have water penetrating into the cabling somewhere, which grounds out the signal from the dish (and the power to it), resetting the SWM after the water "disperses" can usually get it started again.
3. SWM or Splitter going bad - Intermittent loss due to a failing part.. if this is the case, then cross your fingers that the Tech gets there before it dies completely.
#'s 2 and 3 are the reason that the troubleshooting scripts for 771A/775 say to send a Tech even if resetting the SWM gets it working.. because even tho it's working now, it IS going to go out again, and will eventually die out completely.

771B was replaced by 774 I do believe. I can't remember exactly but I do know 771b is no more

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts