Prof 7301, 7500 and 8000 Tuners

Status
Please reply by conversation.
On another note, I'd use the latest kernel available from the repo, but my satellite system is a production system and I need to keep it somewhat stable. If I had a secondary test system, I'd be all for getting the super-latest kernel and patching that.. might have had better luck.

Not that it matters, but you don't need a bleeding edge kernel for this hardware. You can use Igor's v4l repository for just the dvb driver modules and add the necessary patches.

To organize work better, you're welcome to communicate with him and Andreus. I merely suggested available sources at the moment, nothing more. :).

I certainly appreciate your digging around for patches and the like, and working the other forums. Without your apparent multilingual abilities I would have been hard pressed to locate the necessary pieces. I'm not planning on giving up, and I had the two stv0903 driver codes lined up earlier for comparisons. There are definitely some different approaches taken.

It will take some thought before choosing which course to take. In view of politics I would lean a little to figuring out how to fit the right pieces into Igor's driver, but I'm still tempted to switch the couplings and see how the other driver performs.

Not that it matters, but you don't need a bleeding edge kernel for this hardware. You can use Igor's v4l repository for just the dvb driver modules and add the necessary patches.

Good to know. Next time I get to play with it, I'll pull from his repo for the base dvb/v4l stuff and patch from there.

If you want to use the latest kernel, its suggested to install gcc 4.3 ( apt-get install gcc-4.3 g++-4.3 ) ? fix version in Make.config to ensure compatibility of current VDR version, otherwise there may be problems with getting channel picture, etc. Use szap-s2 to scan channels, when using Igor's driver. Try driver version from his commit repo.

Interesting pic posted on High Bit Rate DVB-S2 8psk signal reception with Prof-7301:
12591V43200 – 2/3 DVB-S2/8PSK from Intelsat 4 (72.0E) - calculated card data output rate higher than 85Mb/s. :)

Attachments

• High Bit Rate Reception 1.jpg
    High Bit Rate Reception 1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Note to the future:

There is a related thread here that started on the specific topic of running identical Prof tuners on the same machine and branched into a variety of other useful discussions regarding Prof support and the maturity of their products.

From my perspective I started with three significant problems I was having with Prof 7301 and 7500 tuners on Windows:

1. Using DVB Dream with Prof tuners requires that no other vendor tuners are installed
2. Can't get two 7301 or two 7500 tuners to work on the same system
3. DVB Dream not stable with 7500; 7301 works fine.

The current state of resolutions are:

1. Problem verified repeatedly. Some other codes like DVB Viewer do not have this issue. The problem appears related to Prof's bda.dev module, which crashes when DVB Dream starts up and there is a non-Prof tuner installed. DVB Dream will operate the Prof tuners and start up with other vendor tuners if the default DVB Dream bda.dev module is used instead. However this module cannot send out DiSEqC commands through Prof tuners. Prof's bda.dev module does this part correctly or there would be little reason to use it.

2. Tried many suggestions, including some by Prof. I couldn't get anything to work. I had already got a 7301 and 7500 running together. That is no issue. I'm not sure everyone at Prof agrees if this can be done. Many other vendors have the same problem in different flavors, so this is nothing terribly unique. I would like to see this work, but it doesn't directly affect me as I have other workarounds.

3. The 7500 stability problem manifested itself using DVB Dream 1.4i on XP SP2. zamar23 suggested trying this with a beta copy of DVB Dream and on SP3. That combination seems more stable. Time will tell if the problem is gone or merely reduced in frequency.

There was one other useful fallout regarding which apps work with Prof. So far I have tried DVB Dream, DVB Viewer, AltDVB, ProgDVB and My Theatre and all work to some extent. Only the first two clearly have the ability to send DiSEqC 1.0 and 1.1 commands for stacked switches. The others may have some or all of this ability, but I wasn't able to get them to send the commands reliably on my first outing.

Interesting finds. It seems like Prof needs to further refine their drivers for the new cards, and ensure better compatibility with various DVB viewing applications. In particular for multiple sat card devices running on the same PC. Sure, this thing can be said about any new card from another manufacturer as well, and multiple devices support seems to be a common challenge. It just because Prof cards offer attractive package of lower price and advanced chipsets combo, they were selected for tests, as I understand. Another finding, I guess, is that DVB App vendors should ensure faster and smarter, more universal support integration for new advanced devices.

Last edited:
Therefore we use STB6100 tuner for Prof Revolution at current moment.

Hey great bable of chipsets, now about the prof revolution 8000 PCI e and the TT-Budget S2-1600 one is PCIe and the other one is old PCI, here is the link of the specs for the STB6100

now what's the difference between STB6100 and STV6110A?

I work in PTG.

Our "tuner box" supplier sad:

STB6110A is cheaper and lower power consumption than STB6100. In our test, the QPSK performance of STB6110A is good and the 8PSK performance is not qulified as our standard. We think STB6110A is not suitable for DVB-S2 application. But we will do more tests on STB6110A and will also use new version STB6110 if ST push it out.

Therefore we use STB6100 tuner for Prof Revolution at current moment.

Welcome Prof representative on this forum. Your continuous presence would definitely allow it a lot faster to clear up issues and questions FTA fans have about new Prof cards line up. :up

From my perspective I started with three significant problems I was having with Prof 7301 and 7500 tuners on Windows:

1. Using DVB Dream with Prof tuners requires that no other vendor tuners are installed
2. Can't get two 7301 or two 7500 tuners to work on the same system
3. DVB Dream not stable with 7500; 7301 works fine.

With regard to #3, I had fairly regular crashes with DVB Dream 1.4i, a 7500 tuner and XP SP2. Substituting a 7301 tuner is very reliable by comparison. Based on suggestions, I updated DVB Dream to the latest beta and XP to SP3. That is better, but it turns out I'm still seeing app/system crashes with the 7500, just at a lower rate. I also ran the release version of DVB Dream on XP SP3 and that fails about the same. So far SP3 is better than SP2 for XP, but it doesn't matter whether I use the release or beta DVB Dream. The 7500 crashes both at about the same rate.

I did try a rather limited test, only because I don't have units to burn and waste testing time. Instead of using Prof's bda.dev module for DVB Dream, I tried the latest standard bda.dev module posted on the DVB Dream site with DVB Dream 1.4i and a 7500 for nearly three days. This didn't crash at all. One loses DiSEqC functionality in this configuration, therefore it is only useful to me in identifying where the problems might be. It might be a fluke result, but this starts to point the finger at Prof's custom bda.dev module. Some further evidence is that DVB Viewer and a 7500 have never crashed that app or operating system.

From a user point of view, I'm inclined to view Prof's custom DVB Dream bda.dev module as rather shoddy, because all evidence to date suggests it may be the common element for the #1 and #3 problems. That's a real shame because the hardware works so well.

I don't know if this is a final solution to one of the problems I reported with the 7500, but I've had a successful test over the past few days. On my production Sage media server, I swapped out an older DVB World 2104 and TechnoTrend S2-3200 for one each of the Prof 7301 and 7500. This system is running XP SP3 with all the latest updates and two copies of DVB Dream 1.4i running from separate folders.

Before this on a test system, the 7301 always ran reliably but the 7500 less so. I did find updating XP from SP2 to SP3 helped the 7500 stability, but I still had occasional DVB Dream freezes where it looked as though the USB box went deaf and mute. My Sage server runs an identical motherboard configuration, but prior to moving the tuners I tried different DVB Dream module configurations until I discovered one that worked:

chltools
levellog
sageddmodule
signaldisplay
simosd
streamrecorder

All but the Sage module are part of a standard DD installation. However I had been running the ddosd module instead of simosd for the past year with the DVB Dream and TechnoTrend tuners. Making that one switch for the Prof cards stabilized the 7500. I'm not able to explain why this would change anything, but it's possible it somehow reduces or eliminates a race condition.

Prof has new Windows beta drivers for the 7301 and 7500 posted at:

Index of /download/beta

I haven't had a chance to try these on my test system. At the moment I'm working on the Prof tuners with Linux, but I'll report back anything I find on the Windows side when I get the opportunity.

I just ordered a Prof Red 7300 (advertised with a tux logo). I want to use this on my Karamic box, and i am wondering will it work? my kernel is 2.6.31-11 generic.. The machine is kinda old.. MSI K8n Neo v2.0h, AMD 64 3700+ (2.4GHz single core), 1GB DDR PC3200 ram.. 1TB+ for storage, and a Nvidia GeForce FX 5900XT. I also need to figure out if this Phase 3 DTV dish that is connected to 1 DTV receiver can be used in any way. It has internal disqec and 4 outputs.

Prof has new Windows beta drivers for the 7301 and 7500 posted at:

Index of /download/beta

I haven't had a chance to try these on my test system. At the moment I'm working on the Prof tuners with Linux, but I'll report back anything I find on the Windows side when I get the opportunity.

Pedro, I'd be interested in what you find with those windows drivers. I have a 7301 on order. I'm encouraged with the time these people are putting into the drivers. Have you heard if there is anything going on with the blind scan for these revolution devices?

I just ordered a Prof Red 7300 (advertised with a tux logo). I want to use this on my Karamic box, and i am wondering will it work?

I've seen the code for the Linux drivers, but I don't have this tuner. You might try the thread that is specifically for the 7300. This thread is for the newer generation tuners (7301, 7500, 8000).

Pedro, I'd be interested in what you find with those windows drivers. I have a 7301 on order. I'm encouraged with the time these people are putting into the drivers. Have you heard if there is anything going on with the blind scan for these revolution devices?

Sometime back SatelliteAV said there was development work going on for a Windows blind scan solution. That was the last I heard. My personal interest is in a Linux blind scan and when I get spare moments I'm working on the drivers to do that. As it stands, the functional driver development being done by others has got the 7301 to an early alpha state. It kind of works, but with quirks and bugs. There are actually two drivers for the stv0903 (the part that does the blind scan), each with pluses and minuses. My focus is trying to combine the best of each and see if I can get the vestiges of blind scan to work. It's going to take awhile.

Ok, thats similar to what SatelliteAV told me when I inquired about buying a Prof from them, they were working with the manufacturer to develop the blind scan. Although SatelliteAV is listed as a seller of Prof Devices in North America, I still can't find the product on their site so they must still be in the development stage.
Is it possible the Linux driver you are working on may someday be public?

Is it possible the Linux driver you are working on may someday be public?

If I can make it work I plan to publish the source code/patches. Whether that would ever make it into the official Linux distribution is a matter for their traditional politics. I'm sick of watching the power plays that bury some of the most competent technical efforts, so I only plan to send the changes to the appropriate person and leave it at that.

Realize the driver changes are only one half of the blind scanning picture. I expect to be working on the other half, too, but that could turn out so highly specialized to my needs that it would not be of much use for others. It's still too soon to tell.

Although SatelliteAV is listed as a seller of Prof Devices in North America, I still can't find the product on their site so they must still be in the development stage.

If SatelliteAV is not yet selling them, you can order them directly from Prof on their website's store. That's how I got the four I'm working with.

Prof 7500

Having some issues with this card. Prof7500 doesn't show on Dvbdream Devices.
On Mytheatre, Positioner and USALS wont work and with DVB-S2, the signals show very low and unable to scan, even though signal is very strong on regular DVB.

Anyone else having these problems? I am running windows Vista32.

regards

Having some issues with this card. Prof7500 doesn't show on Dvbdream Devices.
On Mytheatre, Positioner and USALS wont work and with DVB-S2, the signals show very low and unable to scan, even though signal is very strong on regular DVB.

Anyone else having these problems? I am running windows Vista32.

regards

If you are not already using it, I would install DVBDream 1.5 beta 7. It worked much better for me than 1.4i, especially with one of my PC's that runs Vista. You can download it from DD Beta Tests :: View topic - v1.5 Beta 7 (08.06.2009)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts