profit on an install

mikeroberson2006

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
does anyone know how much hughes pays a retailer/installer for a standard install? I cant get a response from hughes on being setup as a retailer or any other questions ive asked them. thanks

Put it this way: if you want to be a dealer/installer, you would make more $ doing a single dishnet install, than a hughesnet. Why do you ask? If you are dealer looking to get into selling them, you would do allright if you also install them yourself and already have the equip and knowledge that only comes with time and frustration, learning, and more learning the ins and outs.(so many things) .............Sorry just feeling you might think we are making big $, but it is ~250 per job......so, SUBTRACT :down (0 if you do it all, or pay a certified installer $$) advertizing, materials, truck,gas, shipping costs, repair equip, oh and dont forget bonding and ins, and etc . etc..............the list goes on
Not sure where you are coming from. but don't expect to get rich,,,,,,, :hungry: :eek:

I am already a certified installer. I am soon starting a new job with a different installation company and i am trying to aquire some info on getting them set up with hughesnet and dish network

As mentioned above, to do it right and make a fair wage is not an easy proposition.

If you want to do sat INTERNET, consider all the expenses and you will see that the only way is to be efficient, proficient, and be on the dealer side of the equation as well.

1 million liability insurance
bonding
tools
ladders
truck
vehicle insurance
vehicle maint
fuel
you supply the coax cable the ground wire the ground clamps, the tie wraps, the cable clips, the screws, the silicone, the entry grommets, the wall plates, the grounding blocks, dielectric grease, F connectors, rubber tape etc.
The time to file your paperwork and get paid if you are a sub or conversely the time to do all your paperwork for SS, taxes, workers comp.

It's not easy to come out ahead on every install, sometimes things beyond your control conspire against you

If you get good and are organized so you don't have to go up and down the ladder a hundred times or back and forth to the truck a hundred times, or forget something at home, or have a bad modem or missing part or bolt from the equipment boxes, or the NOC is down and you can't commission and finish the install, or hit traffic or the homeowner is not home etc, then you can maybe feed your family and pay the mortgage.

Companies are paying less and less to subs for installs and at the same time increasing their resposibility to the install . For sat internet I only do installs on my own sales.

If it's another company that wants me to sub I will only do their commercial installs, they pay better but it takes a while to build up a rappor from them so that they send work your way.

If they want me to do their residential installs it's a minimum $ 225 for a standard install if you are within a 1 hour or 50 mile drive of our location. Most want to only pay you $150 to $175. If it's further it's 48 cents per mile plus $20 per hour drive time billable in 15 min increments.

I learned how to say no a long time ago when folks want an exception to the above. It's not worth rolling the truck for less. I am sure they can find someone to do it for less but that is not what I am about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts