Program Guide

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

delongboy

Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
beth, pa
I am a newbie to FTA. Was a DTV sub for a long time and got tired of the $$$. Some one recently gave me a fta dish and receiver that he said got hit by lightning. So I deceided to jump in. After testing the lnb and receiver I determined they are both fried. Got a simply linear 10750 lnb and CNX Nano and I am now up pointed at AMC4. Interested in some of the religious channels there.
So now I have 2 questions. First I am thinking of adding a motor. I believe the dish is 90cm. Would just adding a motor to this be all I need to get all sats? or would the lnb need upgrading also?
Second question, I got the nano for its pvr capabilities so I can record some shows here and there. Now it has a program guide in it but it doesn't show any programing. I have done some searching and can't find any info on this. Is a program guide non-existent for FTA? or is there something I need to do to obtain it? Thanks for the help, this is a great site!!

Yes, adding a motor would get you pretty much everything that's available to FTA. I don't have a motor myself but there are many people here that could give you assistance in setting one up if you have any issues.

Guide information is pretty much non-existent for FTA in North America. Your best chance for any information is through TitanTV.com, where you set up a custom guide on their web site using the call letters for the station. Not everything is available through TitanTV, but you would have something at least. Just about everything on Galaxy 18 at 123W (RTN, Fox, ABC, and MyTV), and AMC 21 at 125W (PBS) is available.

If you can't find the channel you want on TitanTV, you can ask about it here and another member might be able to help you.

Only a few FTA channels have a program guide, you'll have to use the Timer to record.

If you are getting channels on AMC4, no need to upgrade the LNB, just add the motor.

how does it work with titantv? do i just download the schedule every couple days on the usb drive and upload it to the receiver? or is it just to view online?

Ok, another question. I am looking to buy a harddrive for this to start recording. I have looked everywhere for supported drives and can't find anything, even cnx site. I emailed them and no response yet. Does anyone know what size drive this will support? I am actually thinking of getting an internal sata drive and a usb enclosure.. can actually do this cheaper and get 500GB for about $79 total with a western digital drive. Are there any issues with this approach? Is it safer to just get a external usb drive? thanks

You can find online deals for 500GB external drives for less than the $79 you quoted... A good deal for one of these is about $10-$20 cheaper, if you wait a few days for a sale. The receiver will probably support a 500GB drive with no troubles... I know the Visionsat IV200 will.

add-on hard drives

I can't guarantee what will work for you on your Nano, but I can give some general guide lines.

- most receivers seem to support drives up to 500gb.
I've not seen any say they'll do bigger drives.

- back around 1st quarter of 2008, I bought a $79 Maxtor 500gb and Seagate $89 5000gb external USB drive.
After testing and evaluating both, I returned the Seagate.
Didn't like the physical housing (ugly and awkward).
But both ran about equally.

- you can get a bare drive and an external USB case. I have several.
If you get the right case, you can use a SATA -or- an ATA drive internally.
On some cases, if you want to suck the video off to your computer, you can connect to the box with eSATA, and get a little better throughput.
(but only if the drive is SATA itself)
I don't know if the throughput really matters in the real world.
I make DVDs from recordings, and in the end everything works, so drive throughput within reason is not a major factor.

- most FTA receivers must talk to a hard drive that's been formatted with FAT-32, not NTFS!
Your computer will read both, so that's okay.
Most external USB drives come preformatted FAT32.
Bare drives probably won't be formatted at all.
Some receivers will format the drive, and some will not do it properly.

- you can get a bare drive and an external USB case. I have several.
If you get the right case, you can use a SATA -or- an ATA drive internally.
On some cases, if you want to suck the video off to your computer, you can connect to the box with eSATA, and get a little better throughput.
(but only if the drive is SATA itself)
I don't know if the throughput really matters in the real world.
I make DVDs from recordings, and in the end everything works, so drive throughput within reason is not a major factor.

- most FTA receivers must talk to a hard drive that's been formatted with FAT-32, not NTFS!
Your computer will read both, so that's okay.
Most external USB drives come preformatted FAT32.
Bare drives probably won't be formatted at all.
Some receivers will format the drive, and some will not do it properly.

A couple additional comments. I have several of those external drive enclosures ("case"), however I also have one of those case-less USB drive adapters, that I use all the time to quickly grab data from old hard drives. Even though my computers see this the same as any of the newer enclosures, for some reason, my Coolsat doesn't recognize this USB drive. I have no idea of why, but be aware that some older USB external drives may not work.

Re the FAT-32 thing, it may depend on the drive, and/or version of Windows, but I've had difficulty at times getting Windows XP to format drives in FAT-32. Once I had to take it to an older computer with Win 2K and/or revert to DOS commands, but I finally found (actually my son found) a nice program that formats in FAT32 very quickly.

Since FAT32 doesn't allow big files, the receivers I have divide recordings into multiple files. My Coolsat makes big 4 GB files, but for some reason the one time I tried recording something big on my Diamond, I noticed that it saves files that are something like between 1 and 2 GB, which is strange. Although when playing back files, the receivers generally chain the multiple files together seemlessly, apparently some versions of Coolsat software didn't do this right.

But the ~4 GB limit of FAT32 is interesting. I have several SA TIVOs that are networked, and I can extract recordings from the TIVO to my computer. When I first started doing this years ago, I was extracting to a hard drive that just happened to be a FAT32 drive. The problem, however, is that the program that I was using to extract the files would extract the files even if they were more than the 4 GB maximum....... and it WORKED..... except that it really confused the heck out of my computer. I would end up with 10 GB files on a FAT32 drive, but Windows didn't seem to realize that they were bigger than the 4 GB limit. When I would try to copy these files from one drive to another using explorer (or MyCOmputer), the files would start copying, and you'd get this time remaining progress bar, which would go up to 100% when it got to the first 4 GB, then it would get REAL confused, and the progress bar would go to zero, and it would tell me that I had about 16 years left in the copying process, and it would creep along in this status until it got close to the 2nd 4 GB, then suddenly the progress bar would jump up to close to 100% again, then it would go beserk again, saying it was going to take me forever, until the last 2 GBs were almost done, then it would jump to near 100%, and finish.
This was very strange, but how these files played with VLC was even stranger. If I tried to play one of these files, VLC would play it, and play it completely, however the VLC progress bar would only go up through the first 4 GB. I could pull the VLC progress bar anywhere in the first 4 GB, but if I got too close to the end, it would cause VLC to bomb.
Anyway, just a warning that using FAT32 drives in an NTFS can result in some interesting effects, depending upon what software you use. No real problems, and I do it all the time, just INTERESTING.

Thanks for the advice. I went with a 500gb sata drive and an enclosure that connects to usb2 or sata. My xp pc wouldn't format to fat32 so I had to use the nano.. which seemed to format fine but i had to disconnect and reconnect it before it would pick it up again. everything seems to be working now and the recordings look great on the pc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts