Programing alternatives

stev32k

Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Alabama
I'm currently a cable subscriber and considering moving to satellite. I just finished looking over the dish network programming line-up for their standard packages and frankly I'm not impressed. If I counted correctly 33 of the 120 channels in the CLASSIC BRONZE 100 PLUS package are radio stations, 20 are sports alternative (whatever that is), there are an additional 30 sports themed channels with themes like sports south, north Ohio sports, etc. and 12 religious themed channels.

I'm not interested in paying to listen to radio stations on TV. I have a lifetime subscription Sirius radio so I don't need to pay for TV radio. I like some sports, but I'm not interested in paying for 50 channels of sports. Maybe some people like that and I have no problem if that is their interest, but it's not mine. Some people like the religious channels - I don't watch them and don't want to pay for them.

The real point is that all TV providers (that I know of) are taking a one-size-fits-all approach to TV programming. The attitude is - here's my 100 channel line-up take it or leave it, if you don't like that here's 250 channels for you take it or leave it. I predict that some day one will be able to pick and choose the channels one wants to watch and is willing to pay for - Would I pay to watch the home shopping network - not on your life. Would I pay to watch CNN yup, how about A&E - yes, so long as their programming remained good. How about the cartoon network - only if I had kids in the house - which I don't.

The cost structure should be such that subscribers only pay for the channels they want to receive, CNN $1/month; cartoon network $.30/month, Home shopping network - they pay you $.20/month, you get the idea. The more popular a network becomes the more money it can charge and the more money it makes. I think this sort of structure will happen some day.

I'm currently a cable subscriber and considering moving to satellite. I just finished looking over the dish network programming line-up for their standard packages and frankly I'm not impressed. If I counted correctly 33 of the 120 channels in the CLASSIC BRONZE 100 PLUS package are radio stations, 20 are sports alternative (whatever that is), there are an additional 30 sports themed channels with themes like sports south, north Ohio sports, etc. and 12 religious themed channels.

I'm not interested in paying to listen to radio stations on TV. I have a lifetime subscription Sirius radio so I don't need to pay for TV radio. I like some sports, but I'm not interested in paying for 50 channels of sports. Maybe some people like that and I have no problem if that is their interest, but it's not mine. Some people like the religious channels - I don't watch them and don't want to pay for them.

The real point is that all TV providers (that I know of) are taking a one-size-fits-all approach to TV programming. The attitude is - here's my 100 channel line-up take it or leave it, if you don't like that here's 250 channels for you take it or leave it. I predict that some day one will be able to pick and choose the channels one wants to watch and is willing to pay for - Would I pay to watch the home shopping network - not on your life. Would I pay to watch CNN yup, how about A&E - yes, so long as their programming remained good. How about the cartoon network - only if I had kids in the house - which I don't.

The cost structure should be such that subscribers only pay for the channels they want to receive, CNN $1/month; cartoon network $.30/month, Home shopping network - they pay you $.20/month, you get the idea. The more popular a network becomes the more money it can charge and the more money it makes. I think this sort of structure will happen some day.

Try ESPN $10/month, CNN $5.00/month, Cartoon Net $3.00/month, etc. You're fooling yourself if you think it will be cheaper. That will all add up pretty quick......

I do have a question for you. If you're not impressed with Dish's' lineup, how does your cable lineup compare, channel and price-wise? There must be a reason you have a wandering eye....

Try ESPN $10/month, CNN $5.00/month, Cartoon Net $3.00/month, etc. You're fooling yourself if you think it will be cheaper. That will all add up pretty quick......

I do have a question for you. If you're not impressed with Dish's' lineup, how does your cable lineup compare, channel and price-wise? There must be a reason you have a wandering eye....

It's both cost and quality. The programming is OK, but I'm paying too much and having intermittent problems with the HD channels and Mediacom can't resolve the problem.

I predict that some day one will be able to pick and choose the channels one wants to watch and is willing to pay for.

Actually your prediction already came true. And pretty much failed.. In the days of the big Dish this was how a lot of people got programming.. It worked for the most part. But how many big dishes do you see today.. Not many. Still a few die hards, but most moved on to the small dish and accepted the price they must pay for TV..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts