programming Harmony One for 922 - missing codes like "Search"

hamishm

Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
The Logitech Harmony database has most of the codes for controlling the 922 already. But it seems to be missing the codes for Search, Recover and (annoyingly) the Info button doesn't seem to get programmed with anything. I've discovered the old 622 remote will control the 922 but it doesn't have all the buttons the 922 needs (in particular, Search, which is 100% essential).

Two key problems here -
i) I cannot switch the 922 remote from sending UHF to IR codes so I can't find a way to capture the missing commands (Search, Info and Recover) using the Harmony remote
ii) The Harmony software doesn't want to let me add my own IR codes for the 922, it wants me to let it guess at the remote codes I need by firing selected IR codes at the Harmony One from the 922 remote - which is impossible as it only emits UHF codes. I could get around that by pretending I want to drive a 622 instead of a 922 then inputting the extra IR codes needed for the 922 (Search etc.) into the 622 device buttons, but I can't get the 922 remote to emit IR codes ... Catch 22 (or is that Catch 922?).

Any bright ideas? The most useful thing would be knowing how to switch the 922 remote to send IR codes, but I don't think that's an option?

thanks, but no, that doesn't do it on the 922 - what that does is enable you to USE a universal remote like the Harmony One i.e. it switches on the ability for the 922 to RECEIVE IR codes, but it does not make the original 922 remote start emitting IR codes (I've tested this by firing the original remote at the Harmony One when in IR capture mode and it sees nothing - meanwhile the 922 keeps responding to the UHF codes being sent out). If the Logitech database had a full set of codes in it for the 922 this wouldn't be a problem, but it's missing Search in particular, which on the 922 you cannot live without.

Ok I just discovered the Vip 622 remote DOES have a Search button (it doubles with the # button) and this DOES control the Search function on the 922. So I can just tell the Harmony One that I've got a 622 and it will control the 922 just fine. Conclusion: If you want to drive a 922 with your Logitech Harmony remote, tell it you've got a Vip 622 instead and that will do the trick.

One final point: It does appear to be IMPOSSIBLE to get the 922 remote to fire IR codes, but the only one I cannot find on the 622 list is "Recover", and I don't even know what that does, so this doesn't seem important.

It's been about 3 months since I got my 922 but I don't remember having any problems programming the Harmony One and then a Harmony 700 so I could have the hard colored buttons, which as it turns out Dish messed up and the yellow and blue buttons on the 922 don't use the same code as the 722K so you can't use a 21.0 to teach the Harmony. Anyway, as you point out the 622 remote has everything you need, except the colored buttons which are in the Logitech data base. Although the yellow and blue codes are wrong. Just use it to teach the Harmony.

Update: It appears I was typing this as you were posting so you found it by yourself. It took a while because I'm using my rarely used netbook LOL.

And yes, the 32.0 remote is UHF only.

great answer - thanks. [edited reply] ok i chose the 722k in the Harmony database and got all the missing codes (colors, search etc.)

you're right yellow and blue seem to be messed up.

but frustratingly also "info" seems to be messed up. it doesn't send a signal at all. does it work for you?

i tried learning the info command from my 622 remote to override the database code and that failed.

hmmm.

Last edited:
I replied without checking my set up. I just checked and I had used Manufacturer - Dish Network and Model VIP922 when I set up my One. Then I changed to the 700 using the same setup. The Recover button is in the data base. And again, the color button codes for the yellow and blue are wrong for the 922 and since the 32.0 remote is UHF only there's no way to teach the Harmony the proper code.

I replied without checking my set up. I just checked and I had used Manufacturer - Dish Network and Model VIP922 when I set up my One. Then I changed to the 700 using the same setup. The Recover button is in the data base. And again, the color button codes for the yellow and blue are wrong for the 922 and since the 32.0 remote is UHF only there's no way to teach the Harmony the proper code.

Need to mention again that the yellow and blue remote codes ARE correct, one of the software updates (S104 I believe) broke them. Prior to that update, they DID work as they were supposed to. Currently, they are another set of Page Up/Down buttons.

Note to the OP: I too have a Harmony One. Didn't have to teach any commends to the remote manually, all the codes needed are all listed in database. You don't need the Recover button. The Harmony's Help button in effect does that button's function to a better degree. That's probably why isn't not in the database. Use "customize buttons" under your Tasks list to make adjustments as needed. On a side note, the Harmony also does let you confirm what IR commands are called in the database. You don't have to teach the remote commands in order to see what their functions are.

hamishm said:
Ok I just discovered the Vip 622 remote DOES have a Search button (it doubles with the # button) and this DOES control the Search function on the 922. So I can just tell the Harmony One that I've got a 622 and it will control the 922 just fine. Conclusion: If you want to drive a 922 with your Logitech Harmony remote, tell it you've got a Vip 622 instead and that will do the trick.

One final point: It does appear to be IMPOSSIBLE to get the 922 remote to fire IR codes, but the only one I cannot find on the 622 list is "Recover", and I don't even know what that does, so this doesn't seem important.

This is good news. I kept my 622 remote. How do I set it up to work the 922. Don't want to lose the 922 remote function but just have two

This is good news. I kept my 622 remote. How do I set it up to work the 922. Don't want to lose the 922 remote function but just have two
All you need to do is enable the 922 to receive IR commands by using "menu, settings, remote control, IR, enable". then the 622 remote will drive the 922, with just a few non-essential buttons missing. one caveat - if your 922 is set to use a set of codes other than with 'address 1', then i don't think this will work, but that's probably not going to be the case (the 922 uses address codes 1 by default).

I got the search button on the LCD screen of my harmony 900 which is just like the harmony one. I just had to go in the remote setup and manually create a button on the LCD screen. Also set up the pip buttons while i was at it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)