Project Primestar success

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
It took about a month and this weekend I finished the Primestar dish project. Currently pointed at G10R using only the vertical side. I pointed it by eye comparing it to the 76cm next to it and hit it first try! First time I ever did that with a dish. I love that elevation adjustment bolt for fine tweaking.

That's an 8' pipe with 5' above ground with a 16"x16" block buffer above ground all with concrete. The ground took 2 days in the evening to dig with a post hole digger in 90 degree heat. I built it strong in case I want to mount my 180cm Fortec there in the future with a polar mount setup.

Attachments

• primestar5.jpg
    primestar5.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 238
Nice work, the block is something I wouldn't have thought about. But then, I
worked construction for a couple of years and promised myself I'd try not
to ever touch another concrete block for the rest of my life!

Thats' a beaut from the front.
Can we see it from the back, too?

Fixed or motorized? I assume the former.

How big a pipe ya got?
I know the fence posts I use for experimenting isn't going to cut it, and I need to start thinking about real big stuff. :)

Now ya got me thinking about blocks in addition to cement for holding the thing down.
Great food for thought.
Thanks for the pix.

It took about a month and this weekend I finished the Primestar dish project. Currently pointed at G10R using only the vertical side. I pointed it by eye comparing it to the 76cm next to it and hit it first try! First time I ever did that with a dish. I love that elevation adjustment bolt for fine tweaking.

That's an 8' pipe with 5' above ground with a 16"x16" block buffer above ground all with concrete. The ground took 2 days in the evening to dig with a post hole digger in 90 degree heat. I built it strong in case I want to mount my 180cm Fortec there in the future with a polar mount setup.

Try a Diesque switch or a 22 khz switch ( if your receiver supports it ) to get both polarities ?

Wyr

Try a Diesque switch or a 22 khz switch ( if your receiver supports it ) to get both polarities ?

Wyr
I didn't see any concern about the other polarity in his post, but if that is a concern (due to the primestar lnbf having individual H and V outputs), then the best solution is to use a normal DTV style multiswitch. With and 3X4 (or 2X4) multiswitch, you can combine both polarities and hook up to 4 receivers into it, and no special switching is needed on the receiver end (the two outputs look like one "normal" lnbf to the receiver).

If you use a 22k or diseqc, then you have to setup multiple satellites (one for H and one for V) in order to switch between polarities. Also, you can buy a new primestar lnbf with combined H&V polarities from eBay for just a few bucks.

The pipe is 3" and heavy duty. It is 1/4" thick. A guy from work had it leftover from moving a hot tub and didn't need it. It looks as though it was used for plumbing in a previous life. The largest pipe sold around here is 2 and 3/8", 16 gauge for fencing.

I only watch the Equity feeds on G10 so vertical polarity is fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)