projector and coaxial connection

nigel_miguel

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
Hello i have a 3M projector which i use in my theather room. i have a dual tuner sat receiver, i want my projector to be my 2nd tv, which is a coaxial connection.
How do i connect the coax connection to my projector which doesn't have a coax connection?

thanks

Which dual tuner sat receiver?

I will assume it is a DISH 622/722 type box. If that is the case, you may be out of luck. The second output is strictly RF and requires an analog TV tuner at the receiving end. There are a couple of ways to do this, but maybe not directly. You couled hook an old VCR into the system. You would then feed the video to the projector, and the audio to an amplifier. You could do the same with a TV, a DVD recorder, or whatever else you could find that had an NTSC tuner. Other than that, you would not be able to do what you want here.

Personal opinion: I think you may be disappointed in the video quality of the projected signal. An RF connection on standard NTSC is the worst possible connection in terms of quality. Blowing it up with a projector simply emphasizes all the problems. You might be better off looking at an HDMI splitter. It would force you to display the same signal to both TVs, but the quality would be immensely better.

Front projectors are not TV sets, they are more like monitors: with very few exceptions, they don't have built-in tuners, cannot decode RF signal, or switch channels.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Which dual tuner sat receiver?

I will assume it is a DISH 622/722 type box. If that is the case, you may be out of luck. The second output is strictly RF and requires an analog TV tuner at the receiving end. There are a couple of ways to do this, but maybe not directly. You couled hook an old VCR into the system. You would then feed the video to the projector, and the audio to an amplifier. You could do the same with a TV, a DVD recorder, or whatever else you could find that had an NTSC tuner. Other than that, you would not be able to do what you want here.

Personal opinion: I think you may be disappointed in the video quality of the projected signal. An RF connection on standard NTSC is the worst possible connection in terms of quality. Blowing it up with a projector simply emphasizes all the problems. You might be better off looking at an HDMI splitter. It would force you to display the same signal to both TVs, but the quality would be immensely better.

yes it's a 722K, never thought of the VCR idea.

this projector has video, svideo and component, no Hdmi (it's 7 years old). Also even it did have hdmi, i can't get the cable to the room all walls are finished. it would mean i had to make new holes in the house, wife would not be happy. Can i run it through a FTA receiver instead of a VCR if it has a NTSC tuner? how do i know if it does? i have a viewsat 9000 that i use for true FTA.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't have time to play with FTA. I have no idea if it has an NTSC tuner, however the reviews seem to indicate ATSC tuner only. An ATSC tuner will not work with the 722.

I'm still having issues with this setup. I tried the VCR and it didn't work. Is there anything else that might work?

OK, try this. Get adapters for both ends of the coax cable from radio shack. The type you want are female F-connectors to Male RCA connectors. Plug one into each end of the cable. Then connect from the TV2 yellow composite port on the 722 to the composite input on the projector. You will still need to connect the audio to a receiver, but that should work.