Projector vs tv?

I love my projector and should have gotten one a long time before I did. I think my 106" screen is about the perfect size for this room any smaller would have been too small. It's pretty darn clear. To me as good or better than my uncles 65" Mitsu TV and it's quite a bit bigger and was cheaper too. I love it. I watch mostly SD stuff on Dish or DVD's with the PS3 upcoverting them. I have a HD receiver but no longer have service on it as I didn't think it was worth the monthly payment for the few things I watched in HD.

Having to buy a bulb or two every year at around $300-500 each adds up depending on how much television that you watch.

DEBUNKED, just go back and look at the running 7 year life span on the expected totals for a FPTV at 90" - 129" , its startup cost plus lamp costs ($250 - $340 in retail reality) that were posted months back in this area. Not even counting on the option listed below by Digital Dude.

VERSUS

a minuscule 70" plasma or DLP (now try to find one of EQUAL size and portability of the above) please report those totals back to us.

So basically, unless you just leave a TV on 24/7 even when you aren't even watching it; OR if you live in very small quarters, the HD display capabilities of a quality, correctly selected FPTV, along with their unequaled size, easy portability and incredibly tiny footprint; still equate to the best option dollar for dollar.

Last edited:
Any of you using your PJ in a normal living room with windows for cable/sat and such?

How do you regulate light during the day, or does it really not effect the screen.

I have typical shades and / or drapes and I have ZERO light issues AND will put my PQ up against any of these other display types claiming you need to be in a cave to own a FPTV or need to spend $5k or more. (you could pay a bit more for drapes with H/T type blackout backing (this does not mean black).

I use my FPTV (PJ) in a normal den, with one sliding patio door on one side, and 3 windows (or a bay window) on the other. I use it for afternoon and P/T DBS/DVD viewing. I also have a FPTV, on a shorter throw distance, in the master bedroom for late night or morning sleep-in viewing.

Yes, I know that the value long-term for a projector is good compared to a regular television but many people do not realize how often these bulbs wear out thinking they can get a projector for less. They do not realize how often the bulbs need replaced.

Thanks for the input on daylight and bulbs. I found some pictures on a projector review that showed a living room with different levels of daylight. With full light coming in, the pj looked no worse than my RPLCD IMO.

SO I assume the best way(if I mount the projector on a shelf behind/above me) to set it all up is to place the rcvr/dvr/dvd in the normal places and just run one long hdmi cable to the pj. Good thing is, my sony rcvr takes 3 hdmi inputs, so I could just take the one cable out to the pj.

Charper, it sounds like you have a great setup with pj's.

Quick question, how does 1080p vs 720p relate to projectors.

Reason Im asking is, the 1080p projectors in my range ($2500) seem to have a few flaws. Would it be better to go with a higher priced 720p?

I used a distance calculator for projectors but don't necessarily understand the answer.

Is the SOP to decide where you want to pj to go, then you use that distance to calculate screen size. Whatever number it gives you for screen size is what you are stuck with? Or can you enlarge decrease the display size?

Thanks, still learning.

Nevermind, I think I figured what I was missing. You mount it, then by that distance there is a range(using zoom) of screen sizes you can use. I ASSume less zoom the better?

Yes, I know that the value long-term for a projector is good compared to a regular television but many people do not realize how often these bulbs wear out thinking they can get a projector for less. They do not realize how often the bulbs need replaced.

You DO get a better cost.. Even AFTER factoring in a lamp per year AND startup costs, the FPTV vs a like quality and size "flat panel" still comes out cheaper. I have 2, I can send you all the exact costs.

Be that as it may; most people operate on hearsay, mis-info and perception without any real-world data. Sadly customers buy items based too much on these things.

Last edited:
Nevermind, I think I figured what I was missing. You mount it, then by that distance there is a range(using zoom) of screen sizes you can use. I ASSume less zoom the better?

Zoom or no zoom function, you still need to mount it the best "starting point". You can use the online projector calculator to see what the distances are per each PJ along with your setup and screen gain. I see above you used it but are not sure what the answer is; PM me and I can try to explain it.

Proj Calc

Any of you using your PJ in a normal living room with windows for cable/sat and such?

How do you regulate light during the day, or does it really not effect the screen.

I pull a room darkening shade during the day:

NFLHD-EF06-Ambient.jpg

2007MastersAL.jpg

I've had mine now for 16 months and still on the same lamp.
How often will I need to change it???

If I bought four 42" plasmas to try to cover the same area as my ONE projector, that would be $4400, minimum.

My PJ was $800 and lamps are $250. If I changed a lamp every year, I would need to use my PJ for 15 years before the cost was equal. Mean time, the warranties have given out on the plasmas and even though the plasma cells are now rated for 20,000 hours or more, the power circuit and voltage regulator circuit will fail on them in 3 to 5 years and cost $500 to $1000 to fix.

Give it up man. Be happy with your little screen and leave theater to those who know better!

:D

Quick question, how does 1080p vs 720p relate to projectors.

Reason Im asking is, the 1080p projectors in my range ($2500) seem to have a few flaws. Would it be better to go with a higher priced 720p?

1080p is going to let you sit closer to the screen and not see the digital grid that all digital projectors have. It's called Screendoor Effect. Beyond that, 1080p is going to give you a slightly sharper image with better color and details.

You will find flaws in every PJ you look at if you nitpick it enough. Make sure you are looking at PJs that will work in your setting.

Have a look at these photos in the link below - they show the difference between DVD and HD media. It's not quite as different between 720p and 1080p but you get the idea.

Fellowship of the Ring - HD vs DVD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts