Proper grounding of pole mount?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The Tate said:
Directv and the other companys state all installs meet all local, state AND national code. Some even go futher like Hughes and states ground blocks must be enclosed or inside, same with comcast.

Your analogy does not work here really because if you have a jobed that is QC'ed and you don't follow atleast the national code you will fail. Some local code exceed national code, in this case you follow the local code.

My city must be different than where I lived before because Comcast SBC and D* all put their ground blocks and clamps INSIDE the house. In fact the network telephone interface is inside the house. The cable ground block is inside, the cable telephone interface is inside and the punchdown block is inside. All the phone equipment is run with a UPS unit. The pictures should make sense.

Attachments

• DSC00364.JPG
    DSC00364.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC00368.JPG
    DSC00368.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC00367.JPG
    DSC00367.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC00369.JPG
    DSC00369.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC00362.JPG
    DSC00362.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC00361.JPG
    DSC00361.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC00360.JPG
    DSC00360.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 146
Here's what CT requirements are per NEC code for dish installation

Why are you all talking about driving ground rods into the ground when it's illegal to do so in the state of connecticut. To all the geniuses out there her's how it goes. All that's needed in the state of connecticut is to have a #17ground wire on the dual cable which along with the braid in the cable equals #10 ground wire. That goes to your ground block which should be placed on the outside of the house only.(which is illegal by the way to have inside in the state of ct). From the ground block you will run another #10green ground wire to be bonded to the home's electrical ground.

Doctor Bob said:
If the "LOCAL INSPECTOR" states that the grounding meets local codes, then that supercedes the NEC (as stated by the NEC)!!!

Quit mis-quoting the facts!!! Yes, in a lot of cases the local code will meet the NEC, but not in all cases, and as long as the "LOCAL AUTHORITY" approves a grounding method, that will be the end of any conversation regarding the "CODE"...

Not according to the CT state inspector Robert Nuzzi. He said that local inspectors in CT don't have the right to interpret NEC code. http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?...ives/Spring%202003/Compliance&cookie%5Ftest=1
Check the ninth paragraph. It is self explanatory.

raoul5788 said:
Not according to the CT state inspector Robert Nuzzi. He said that local inspectors in CT don't have the right to interpret NEC code. http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?...ives/Spring%202003/Compliance&cookie%5Ftest=1
Check the ninth paragraph. It is self explanatory.

Well then, I guess the word "Interpret" is out, and so must be the NEC, because someone has to "Interpret" what the NEC is saying, and I guess that Robert Nuzzi (are you sure of that spelling??? LOL) is the only one!!! RONTGLMAO.....

Last edited:
Doctor Bob said:
Well then, I guess the word "Interpret" is out, and so must be the NEC, because someone has to "Interpret" what the NEC is saying, and I guess that Robert Nuzzi (are you sure of that spelling??? LOL) is the only one!!! RONTGLMAO.....

In CT, by state statue, yes. Why are you so obstinate about it?

raoul5788 said:
In CT, by state statue, yes. Why are you so obstinate about it?

Because someone has to be able to "Micro Manage" the Inspections and make the rules, and no one person can do that. The State Inspector, Robert, must have some kind of head problem to tell you that, because I spoke with a friend in your state today, that does set down the rules in their City, and he said Robert is full of it!!!

Does that answer your question!!!

PS Read this "Ninth Paragraph" carefully!!!

Connecticut state inspector, Robert Nuzzi, though he says these kinds of modifications are similarly available to the central authority in his state, warns against extending these kinds of judgment calls to local inspectors. "You can't really shoot from the hip," he says, referring to local inspectors. "I just had a call this morning on a house where the electrical service was done in the 1950's. Meanwhile, during a storm the overhead service conductors were pulled away from the house so the electrician had to replace those service conductors. Plus he had to change the meter, because the water had entered into the enclosure and corroded it. But he didn't change the load center within the house and now the local inspector is saying it's got to be changed. But why? What makes it less safe today than it was yesterday? In the 1950's it was done prior to any local codes, so there's really nothing we can do. The way we work in the state of Connecticut is that everything comes down from the state building inspector, which is an appointed position by the governor. This means that the local inspector has someone to answer to. And it's also a place where the public can call. If there's a dispute with the local building official they can call this office and we can arbitrate that dispute, and we can do an interpretation of the code, whereas the local building official, by general statute, is not allowed to interpret.

Someone locally, still has to know what the code says, and that is interpreting it as well, so their play on words, is BS in the eyes of most Local Inspectors...

raoul5788 said:
Any installers know the NEC code for grounding a pole mount? Halsted came out Monday to ground my dish. They said because it went into the ground three feet that it was sufficiently grounded and didn't need a separate ground! I don't think that's correct. The NEC code 810 says something about needing a separate ground even for a pole mount. Anyone have any specific knowledge about this type of situation?
Thanks.

NEC is a guideline and not a law per sey... Tne NEC code guides State, County and City Electrical Codes... It is up to those Agencies to set the laws...

As a Direct TV installer I normally run my dual cables guide/ground wire from the back of the dish to the gound block, then the ground block gets a #10 Solid Copper Core grounding wire to the house ground. This can be at the power box, phone box or anywhere a legitimate ground is found at. I would be suspect of all "ground rods" since without pulling them out of the ground you cannot be sure if they are within code.

I hope this helps you out,

Rocko

Doctor Bob said:
PS Read this "Ninth Paragraph" carefully!!!

Connecticut state inspector, Robert Nuzzi, though he says these kinds of modifications are similarly available to the central authority in his state, warns against extending these kinds of judgment calls to local inspectors. "You can't really shoot from the hip," he says, referring to local inspectors. "I just had a call this morning on a house where the electrical service was done in the 1950's. Meanwhile, during a storm the overhead service conductors were pulled away from the house so the electrician had to replace those service conductors. Plus he had to change the meter, because the water had entered into the enclosure and corroded it. But he didn't change the load center within the house and now the local inspector is saying it's got to be changed. But why? What makes it less safe today than it was yesterday? In the 1950's it was done prior to any local codes, so there's really nothing we can do. The way we work in the state of Connecticut is that everything comes down from the state building inspector, which is an appointed position by the governor. This means that the local inspector has someone to answer to. And it's also a place where the public can call. If there's a dispute with the local building official they can call this office and we can arbitrate that dispute, and we can do an interpretation of the code, whereas the local building official, by general statute, is not allowed to interpret.

Someone locally, still has to know what the code says, and that is interpreting it as well, so their play on words, is BS in the eyes of most Local Inspectors...

You're one of those guys that hears what he wants to hear, aren't you?
(You probably won't be able to understand what I am saying.:rolleyes: )

Nothing is going to help him out Rocko, he's convinced...

I am a C-10 Electrical Contractor, and have been dealing with the National Electrical Code for well over 45 years now... You are correct about the NEC, and unless you understand what to look for on a ground rod, you might not want to get involved with them. It is very easy to check the the potential of the ground rod, to the Utility ground, and the bonding to that Utility. Every ground rod must be bonded to the Utility ground. Of course you will have to have a VOM, and understand how to read it...

This CT Inspector, Robert Nuzzi, is blowing smoke up someones ARSE, because every Electrician knows that the inspector has to determine (just another word for Interpret) if the code is being met to their satisfaction, and is only going to sign off on the building and or application, if it is safe, and up to their Code. Anyone that relies 100 % on the NEC is a fool anyway!!!

Don't try to convince him that the NEC is a guideline, because he thinks it's the law!!! RONTGLMAO....

This is the kind of response you get, when you are dealing with a Novice!!! RONTGLMAO....

Doctor Bob said:
Have you ever considered the fact, that this inspector might have taken meter readings and found that it took three ground rods, to meet the Utility Standards for Bonding and Ground Interrupts???

Your local Inspector is the "Decision Maker" and "LOCAL AUTHORITY" on the issues of Grounding. Not even the NEC can over ride his decisions...

Grounding issues and codes, are to protect LIVES, not property!!! So if anyone needs questions answered about their local grounding issues or problems, then they need to speak to their "LOCAL AUTHORITY", and not someone from another locality, and especially not on a message board, that does not specifically deal with grounding and bonding issues... If you are an electrician, then go to www.mikeholt.com , if not, go to your "LOCAL AUTHORITY", to get "CORRECT ANSWERS"...

Even if he did take meter readings of the ground rods, you are only required to install two rods at 6 ft. apart... thats IT!!!!! The inspector CANNOT make you do whatever he feels is right.... A Inspector cannot make you go ABOVE and BEYOND the NEC!!!!!! You really only need 1 ground rod but it requires 25 ohms or less, And it's cheaper to drive two rods than prove that it's actually 25 ohms... [Art 250.56] NEC

Last edited:
runvs said:
Why are you all talking about driving ground rods into the ground when it's illegal to do so in the state of connecticut. To all the geniuses out there her's how it goes. All that's needed in the state of connecticut is to have a #17ground wire on the dual cable which along with the braid in the cable equals #10 ground wire. That goes to your ground block which should be placed on the outside of the house only.(which is illegal by the way to have inside in the state of ct). From the ground block you will run another #10green ground wire to be bonded to the home's electrical ground.

It's not illegal to drive a ground rod, ART 820.100 (4) Length, your only allowed 20 ft of wire to ground your block, If you cannot do it then you can drive a ground rod and bond that ground rod with #6 AWG cu, to the Electrical system...

Last edited:
Doctor Bob said:
It's not a matter of complaining Shadow, it is a simple matter of fully understanding what is required.

I read your post fully Tate!!! So quit beating a dead horse, and learn what is expected by:

1. The PROVIDER... If that does not meet the Local and or National Electrical Code, then you will have to make sure that you follow your Local Authority's guidelines.

You don't need to go any further Tate!!! The Local Code, supersedes the NEC, even if in most cases, they are following the NEC. There are several hundred cases where the Local Authority has over ridden the NEC...

You are correct. I am an engineer with a local municipality and have spoken on this matter with our codes compliance office. No grounding at all is required here for these low voltage systems, eventhough I have grounded mine. Local codes supercede everything else.

vurbano said:
You are correct. I am an engineer with a local municipality and have spoken on this matter with our codes compliance office. No grounding at all is required here for these low voltage systems, eventhough I have grounded mine. Local codes supercede everything else.

Even if nothing is required to be grounded in your area call Directv and see how they feel about that. If the house catches fire and the fire marshal declares it was because of a dish not being grounded guess whose ass it is. Its not going to be the local districts who say nothing should be grounded.

vurbano said:

I find it had to believe that someone would allow a dish to go ungrounded, it would be like flying a kite in a thunderstorm and holding on to the string...I woulden't bet my life on it!!!!

Last edited:
The Tate said:
Even if nothing is required to be grounded in your area call Directv and see how they feel about that. If the house catches fire and the fire marshal declares it was because of a dish not being grounded guess whose ass it is. Its not going to be the local districts who say nothing should be grounded.

I agree also, you can't sue a inspector if the sh*t hits the fan, hope you all have good insurance.... The other problem I have here is everyone saying AHJ is going to tell you what they want done, Well then have DISH Installers pull permits for the work they perform.... then it won't even be an issue....

vurbano said:

Oh my Lord, my :hatsoff: off to you Vurbano!!! You kept it simple and factual!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts