Proper grounding of pole mount?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The Tate said:
Even if nothing is required to be grounded in your area call Directv and see how they feel about that. If the house catches fire and the fire marshal declares it was because of a dish not being grounded guess whose ass it is. Its not going to be the local districts who say nothing should be grounded.

All DirecTV says in every piece of literature, that talks about Grounding, is to Ground to the NEC and or the Local Code(s). You are arguing to hear yourself argue!!!

Doctor Bob said:
All DirecTV says in every piece of literature, that talks about Grounding, is to Ground to the NEC and or the Local Code(s). You are arguing to hear yourself argue!!!

Bob you are delusional to think that what Vurbano posted will fly with Directv, Dish, Hughes, Wildblue or anyone else that has a product that if not installed properly may cause harm to someone or someones property!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can use exclamation marks also.

The Tate said:
Bob you are delusional to think that what Vurbano posted will fly with Directv, Dish, Hughes, Wildblue or anyone else that has a product that if not installed properly may cause harm to someone or someones property!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can use exclamation marks also.

Correct,
when dealing with backbonding to ground :)
Look up on what the SCTE (society of cable television engineers)
broadband certification program
has on proper backbonding issues.
I am also SCTE certified
i find that they are the most advanced on training on backbonding to ground :cool:

Now you guys know what i look like :eek:
http://www.myspace.com/1_crazymexican

The Tate said:

Delusional??? What in the world are you talking about Tate???

Here are the facts Tate!!!

1. I just presented you with what DirecTV states on every piece of paper, that deals with Grounding!!!

2. I am a DirecTV Dealer!!!

3. I am a C-10 Electrical Contractor, and have been dealing with Grounding issues, probably longer than you have been alive!!!

4. Vurbano (God Bless his Lil Pea Picking Heart) is absolutely correct!!! (for a change)

5. Grounding issues are not, and have never been, National issues, but rather "LOCAL" issues...

Now quit confusing the issues on Grounding!!!

First lets see what this topic is "Proper grounding of a pole mount" pole mount referring to a satellite pole mount in which Directv is the provider that the mount is based on. Proper grounding referring to what is a suitable ground by the provider.

Doctor Bob said:
When are you guys going to learn, that the "LOCAL INSPECTOR" will set the rules, and those are the guidelines that must be met, which may or may not meet the NEC guidelines!!!
post 20

Doctor Bob said:
If the "LOCAL INSPECTOR" states that the grounding meets local codes, then that supercedes the NEC (as stated by the NEC)
post 27

Doctor Bob said:
The Local Code, supersedes the NEC, even if in most cases, they are following the NEC
post 40

Local codes surpasses NEC we get that.

vurbano said:
You are correct. I am an engineer with a local municipality and have spoken on this matter with our codes compliance office. No grounding at all is required here for these low voltage systems, eventhough I have grounded mine. Local codes supercede everything else.

His local code says no grounding. In which I reply
tate said:
Even if nothing is required to be grounded in your area call Directv and see how they feel about that. If the house catches fire and the fire marshal declares it was because of a dish not being grounded guess whose ass it is. Its not going to be the local districts who say nothing should be grounded.

your response to that was
Doctor Bob said:
Oh my Lord, my off to you Vurbano!!! You kept it simple and factual!!!

And you tell me I am arguing when you started this whole thing. I could care less on what type of Dealer or Contractor you are or how long you have been doing it. Directv is not going to let one of their systems pass a QC ungrounded even if local code states no grounding is necessary, and according to your earlier post only a local supervisor can enforce the code when this is entirely untrue on the issue of which a company sets rules at in order to protect themselves from messy situations.

Im finished with this because we are just going around in circle at each other and neither one is going to listen to the other.

The Tate said:
First lets see what this topic is "Proper grounding of a pole mount" pole mount referring to a satellite pole mount in which Directv is the provider that the mount is based on. Proper grounding referring to what is a suitable ground by the provider.

post 20

post 27

post 40

Local codes surpasses NEC we get that.

His local code says no grounding. In which I reply

your response to that was

And you tell me I am arguing when you started this whole thing. I could care less on what type of Dealer or Contractor you are or how long you have been doing it. Directv is not going to let one of their systems pass a QC ungrounded even if local code states no grounding is necessary, and according to your earlier post only a local supervisor can enforce the code when this is entirely untrue on the issue of which a company sets rules at in order to protect themselves from messy situations.

Im finished with this because we are just going around in circle at each other and neither one is going to listen to the other.

Well said Tate ;)
If you are contracted by your provider Direct ,Dish, ect.. to ground
then you ground per your providers specs.
regardless of local nec codes.
If local nec says no ground is needed
i still ground...but thats me.

Last edited:
Doctor Bob said:
I love these Grounding discussions!!!! They bring out the "Best & the Worst" in people... RONTGLMAO....

You have never been more right, Bob.

need to get a earth rod .... 9mm x 1200mm Earth Rod ( 3/8" x 4ft )
then you need two clamps( U-clamps and bolts ) pice off copper to link the poles Earth rod in to ground .ARE if you less then 20 feet from your house read below then
DONT FOR ABOUT TELPHONE LINE AND ARIEL

The National Electric Code requires that the antenna structure be grounded to protect the installation from lightning. A 6AWG copper conductor may be used to connect the Antenna Metal Structure to the building ground system, if it is less than 20 feet. Keep the run as straight as possible.

If the distance exceeds 20 feet, a UL listed ground rod may be installed near the antenna, but the ground rod must be bonded to the building ground with 6AWG minimum copper conductor. A 10AWG copper conductor or larger may connect the antenna to the driven ground rod.

Where the coaxial cable enters the building, a coaxial grounding device must be installed to ground the shield. It must be connected to the building ground with a 14AWG or larger copper conductor.

It is strongly advised that a quality surge protection device (listed by UL1449 Revised) be used to terminate the coaxial cable at the satellite receiver. The surge protector should provide for the power connection, telephone connection, and local antenna connection, if needed. If a local antenna is used for TV reception, it must be grounded in the same manner as the satellite dish.

jurdy

Last edited:
The Tate said:

D* installed my Dish and didnt ground it. V* also installed one when it existed and didnt ground it either. Apparently the installers know that its not required by local code. I have since grounded my Dish myself. Better safe than sorry.

Bottom line: most of these "po-dunk" places don't even know or care what codes are, let alone put needed codes on the books and enforce them. Just do what is the smart, safe and correct thing to do; don't cheap out; regardless if its more than the local code requires. And if the local code is more strict; then do that. Whew, 8 pages later, problem solved.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts