Pros and cons of standalone FTA receivers vs. backend system with DVB-S2 tuners

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Which do you prefer to use to receive Free-To-Air satellite TV?

• Standalone Free-To-Air Receiver

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Computer running backend system with PCIe or USB satellite tuners

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Off-the-shelf backend system (TBS MOI, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something other than any of the above choices

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • None of the above/Undecided

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, I'm from the old school... I use two STB's going to modulators feeding a combiner which mixes those signals with signals from three OTA antennas for distribution to sets throughout the house. The STBs feed the main set through HDMI via Home Theater AV unit. Also, have 3rd STB in the main bedroom fed off 4X4 mulltiswitch, which connects to bedroom set via HDMI.

By chance, would that include the Amiko HDSE? Can i stream to VLC with it? I didn't think so being we are all trying to run big2small Android on a windows system.
Well, I don't know if you can call this progress or not but under Ubuntu Linux 12.04LTS, I obtained the local network address of my Amiko Mini HD SE (10.0.0.5:2871 for Ali Media Server) using GUPnP Universal Control Point.

Screenshot from 2014-12-14 15:55:00B.jpg

I then entered that under Open Network Stream in VLC and was able to capture this video. It's not a stream from one of my channels, more like a logo or something, but it did come from the Amiko Mini HD SE. It's in a ZIP file since uploading a video did not appear to be an option.:)

Attachments

• TEST.mp4.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I then entered that under Open Network Stream in VLC and was able to capture this video. It's not a stream from one of my channels, more like a logo or something, but it did come from the Amiko Mini HD SE. It's in a ZIP file since uploading a video did not appear to be an option.:)

I couldn't even get that far. I put the IP address of my Amiko into VLC with no port specification, with the port 2871 and with the ip : port/satip.xml and vlc said it could not open up a stream on all three of those attempts??

I'd be interested in opening that xml text file . May hold a clue as to where the program stream is.

I couldn't even get that far. I put the IP address of my Amiko into VLC with no port specification, with the port 2871 and with the ip : port/satip.xml and vlc said it could not open up a stream on all three of those attempts??
I tried several ways as well and that is the only one that worked.:)

Last edited:
From the information given however, it appears to use the SATIP protocol. I tried download a few satIP protocol clients and I haven't had any luck. I would assume that ALI modified the protocol just a wee bit.

i like running both a stb and a pc tuner for fta the STB is easy to use for general tv watching and scanning and the pc tuner for what ever the STB can receive

Didn't know where to put this question, but have been thinking about it for some time.
Has anyone emulated android in windoze, or Linux, and installed the amiko app with success???
i have installed in a virtual enviroment android 4.3 for x86 and installed the amiko app but cant test if you can stream to it that way as i dont have a wifi dongle fot the amiko minihd se

i have installed in a virtual enviroment android 4.3 for x86 and installed the amiko app but cant test if you can stream to it that way as i dont have a wifi dongle fot the amiko minihd se
Did you use Andy? or what to get the Android Emulator. I tried Andy, and I couldn't get Android to work. I just kept seeing a black page with the power symbol in the top right...

I have not tried this App but it looks like it should do what is needed. Install on the Android client device that is running big2small. Capture packets, change channels several times and it should record how ALi is streaming the live satellite. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.taosoftware.android.packetcapture Take the output file to the computer and go through it with Wireshark.

You also might want to use the Amiko Android App as client instead of big2small. It has some improvements. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amikostb.alistream

The Amiko App is in our A3 F-Droid Appstore and can be installed from there on A3's. I still have not tested this route here but at least in theory it should work.

I have not tried this App but it looks like it should do what is needed. Install on the Android client device that is running big2small. Capture packets, change channels several times and it should record how ALi is streaming the live satellite. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.taosoftware.android.packetcapture Take the output file to the computer and go through it with Wireshark.

You also might want to use the Amiko Android App as client instead of big2small. It has some improvements. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amikostb.alistream

The Amiko App is in our A3 F-Droid Appstore and can be installed from there on A3's. I still have not tested this route here but at least in theory it should work.

I tried to install a packet sniffer on android. Everytime i did so, the big2small and amiko apps wouldn't work. UGH! If someone finds a combination that works, post it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.