Pros and cons of standalone FTA receivers vs. backend system with DVB-S2 tuners

Which do you prefer to use to receive Free-To-Air satellite TV?

• Standalone Free-To-Air Receiver

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Computer running backend system with PCIe or USB satellite tuners

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Off-the-shelf backend system (TBS MOI, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something other than any of the above choices

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • None of the above/Undecided

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here is some screenshots of why I love PC tuners. I have 16 tuners in my PC btw.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7PjDRC3SaJxbnZxR2Y4VTlEWXM&authuser=0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7PjDRC3SaJxYVZDdERKLUNMV0U&authuser=0

This is in Linux using my software, updateDVB, its 100% opensource. You can see in the background a spectrum scan, this helps you find tp much faster than blindscan (which updateDVB supports as well). Once tuned it analyzes the signal and parses everything so you can see it. It even looks for PIDS that arent assigned to anything, like in the second picture. Its a SD feed that isnt in the PMT/PAT or anywhere else. A STB will miss this every single time. every STB will.

UDL

I'm curious, what distributions of Linux will your updateDVB program run on? And is it in any of the distribution repositories, or do you install it from a DEB or RPM file or something like that, or how do you get it on your system?

I wish someone would create a specialized Linux distro just for satellite tuner users that installs from an ISO file that has been burned to a CD ROM or thumb drive, that would contain this type of software plus backend software such as TVHeadEnd, so that it would be easier to get these systems up and running. I know you can install TVHeadEnd on several different Linux distributions without too much difficulty, but none of them that I'm aware of come with any type of blindscan software such as this, and if you don't know much about Linux it seems like it would be pretty difficult to create a system with these packages from scratch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)