Protection Fee increase.

pjsjeep

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 22, 2008
Tuscaloosa AL
I just got my bill and the price went up $1.... I was like, I thought no increase till Feb '13. Well upon looking it over, they have increased the protection plan by one dollar, I guess a way to get an increase out of you!! I didn't see anywhere on my bill that this was going to happen. I have also be off this site for a couple of months, so if has already been discuss, sorry for another thread.

Feb '13 freeze for base programming packages. However, there now is no cancellation fee for dropping protection plan before the three or four months you used to have to keep it for. So if you only use it when you need it, it's cheaper.

I just got my bill and the price went up $1.... I was like, I thought no increase till Feb '13. Well upon looking it over, they have increased the protection plan by one dollar, I guess a way to get an increase out of you!! I didn't see anywhere on my bill that this was going to happen. I have also be off this site for a couple of months, so if has already been discuss, sorry for another thread.
NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO CANCEL THE PROTECTION PLAN!!!! With the price increase they eliminated the requirement for 5 months or a penalty fee for early cancellation. Now you can add it when you need it and drop it after the repair, why give them $7 a month?

NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO CANCEL THE PROTECTION PLAN!!!! With the price increase they eliminated the requirement for 5 months or a penalty fee for early cancellation. Now you can add it when you need it and drop it after the repair, why give them $7 a month?

Very true!We kept it for years @ $6 per month but with the change we dropped it.

I dropped it when I had my third receiver turned off ... the only reason I would need the Plan would be if I fried a receiver. Now I have a spare, so no need for a protection plan,

Protection Fee increase. Why does this bring to mind a picture of an unsavory character appearing at the door with a weapon, talking like he's got marbles in his mouth?

;)

You pay a $95 tech visit fee to have a tech replace it or you have Dish send you a replacement and do it yourself for free. Most likely Dish will not send you a replacement without having a technician look at it first. Basically the Protection Plan makes a tech visit fee $15 instead of $95.

I'm trying to decide if I should cancel it after I get the Hopper installed next week.

If I don't have the Protection Plan and my Hopper dies, what happens?

You call to have the protection plan added back on before setting up the service call. ;)

but I am thinking about getting the HOPPER real soon. Won't it be easier (cheaper) with the plan?

Yes. What I did when I upgraded was get the protection plan, then when they increased the price and dropped the cancellation fee, canceled it (not even a month later.)

You better off putting your money in the cookie jar, then paying $7 per month.

The only benefit of the service plan is free shipping on defective equipment. So the $8 you pay per month, will save $15 in shipping.

The reduces service calls are nice, but If your on this board, you should be tech savvy to fix it on your own.

A retailer like myself charges $65 on a service call, which is a better value than the $95 through Dish.

Protection plan is now a no-no with the new fee and no cancellation penalty.

If you have an unsolvable problem - dead receiver, bad lnb, etc., call DIsh and add the protection plan then call back and set up a service call for your problem.

When the problem is fixed, you IMMEDIATELY call back and cancel the protection plan.

The fee is pro-rated so if you keep it in effect for 3-4 days, it will cost you less than a dollar on your bill.

Protection plan is now a no-no with the new fee and no cancellation penalty.

If you have an unsolvable problem - dead receiver, bad lnb, etc., call DIsh and add the protection plan then call back and set up a service call for your problem.

When the problem is fixed, you IMMEDIATELY call back and cancel the protection plan.

The fee is pro-rated so if you keep it in effect for 3-4 days, it will cost you less than a dollar on your bill.

Wonder how long it will take dish to rethink the new policy.....

All I can say, is SHHHH guys! lol I think we're just a drop in the bucket though compared to the amount of people that pay for the protection plan just to have that "peace of mind." Then there's the ones that don't ever check their bills so they just pay it anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts