Ps2 still topping actual playtime, 360 2nd.

That is sad on Sony's part that they can't get those PS2 players to convert to the PS3.

Oh that's right, they are still selling the damn things!

Though price is obviously the bigger issue, if only they hadn't dropped PS2 compatibility in the newer versions of the PS3, I think more people would've upgraded by now. Blu-ray would have never left the starting gate if it wasn't BC with DVD. Most people don't want to completely abandon their "collections" or keep adding hardware to their entertainment center rack.

Though price is obviously the bigger issue, if only they hadn't dropped PS2 compatibility in the newer versions of the PS3, I think more people would've upgraded by now. Blu-ray would have never left the starting gate if it wasn't BC with DVD. Most people don't want to completely abandon their "collections" or keep adding hardware to their entertainment center rack.

Not a bad point. It's much less of an issue now, since there are are many more good PS3 games now than there where when I got my PS3 (Jan. '06), but it would still suck if I was just now upgrading and had to throw away all of my existing PS2 games and start over.

I think BC will remain a hot issue as long as they continue to release sequels to PS2 franchises (Final Fantasy, God of War to name two).

I just bought GOW2 and 2 FF games that I never played, just haven't bothered to try them out yet. Also snagged Kingdom Hearts.

I wonder if using the Cell means that the next generation of systems will use the Cell in order to provide backwards compatibility (among other benefits of using the same but improved architecture) or if BC as a bullet point in Playstation consoles is gone for good.

The hard development pill to swallow for this gen could pay dividends if a similar architecture is used with upgraded hardware.

I'm not that surprised that the PS2 is played more than any other box since there is like a bazillion sold. But I'm more surprised that the PS3 is behind the original Xbox.

I'm not that surprised that the PS2 is played more than any other box since there is like a bazillion sold. But I'm more surprised that the PS3 is behind the original Xbox.
I wonder though if that's "real" Xboxes or Xbox stuff emulated on the 360.

I wonder though if that's "real" Xboxes or Xbox stuff emulated on the 360.

My understanding is that it is real original Xboxes. And any PS2 game played on a backwards compatible PS3 is considered PS3 usage not PS2.

I was also surprised that the system that has sold by far the most units in this current generation (Wii) is behind the 360.

I personally have all 3 current generation systems. I play the 360 the most (by a big margin) and the PS3 next. I don't play the Wii much at all since it was really bought for my 2 daughters. They do enjoy it a lot.

Last edited:
I recently traded in my PS2 and the games so I can get games for my daughter's Wii.

I really liked the PS2, but my lack of game playing time made it easy for me to trade it in for my daughter to enjoy herself on her Wii, plus I like playing it also.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts