PS3 1080i Upconversion

BPeter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Mpls., MN
Howdy all,
I was just wondering if someone could clear the air about the PS3s ability to upconvert (or downconvert if you see it that way) 720P games to 1080i. I, unfortunately, have a Older Toshiba 50H71, that does not support 720P. My set is 1080i/540P. I have read all over that Sony was aware of the fact that 720P games were being downconverted to 480P, but hadn't fixed it. Most of the messages I read were from late 2006, so I am not sure if it has been fixed. I am not being lazy, I looked all over, but couldn't find anything concrete.
I don't have a way to see what resolution is being output to my tv. My guess is that if it is downconverting 720P to 480P, then my TV is probably trying to upconvert it to 540P. I don't want to have to buy a new TV to play games and watch the Blue-Ray movies in 1080i or 720P. At somepoint a 1080P set will be in the plan, but not today. Thanks to anyone who can clear the air.
Bryan :confused:

the ps3 still down converts 720 ps3 games to 480p however as for bluray movies will be down converted to 1080i so you wont need a new tv for that .but many find it strange that it will upconvert ps1 and ps2 games all the way up to 1080p if needed this is one of the few things that bug me about the ps3

They're probably just assuming that people who buy a PS3 either have or will have a TV that supports 720p. My old one was almost 4 years old and it supported 720p and 1080i. Then again, I do have a Toshiba that's probably six or seven years old and doesn't, but that's not the TV I have my PS3 on, so it's not an issue.

If your TV is doing the upconverting it will.
True, which is why it doesn't bother me.
But some people actually have HDTV's (older models) that won't support 720p, so some PS3 games will only give them 480p, as they don't support 1080i..

True, which is why it doesn't bother me.
But some people actually have HDTV's (older models) that won't support 720p, so some PS3 games will only give them 480p, as they don't support 1080i.
Many many people on different boards including sonys have complained about this "annoying shortfall" of the ps3. i swear between this and the audio shortfall is the only real problem i can find hardware wise for the ps3

This is precisely why I asked the question. I have a Toshiba HDTV Ready display. Bought it in 2001/2002. Can't quite remember, but anyways, it was a while ago.
It is a 4:3 box, which has a compression setting for 16:9. It supports 1080i, but no 720P. I actually think the documentation says it supports 540P, which would be exactly 1/2 the interlaced lines. When I plug my PS3 in via component (doesn't even have HDMI, not sure any/many did when I bought mine), it down converts games to 480P. My PS2 was THAT good. I have it connected to my smaller LCD upstairs now, but it doesn't have 1080P. So I am stuck using it in the wrong room with the smaller TV, just to take advantage of the hardware. A new tv is in my future, but I will have to figure out how to unload a perfectly good HDTV Ready CRT that has no HDMI, is huge, and weighs over 200lbs. Should be easy to get my investment back out of it when they are selling decent LCDs for under $1000. I guess being an early adopter has it's disadvantages.
Bryan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts